This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A Legal and Revenge-Based Quandary

edited March 2011 in Everything Else
Hey FRC, I really trust you all when it comes to terms with logic and judgement, but this is something that's really been racking my brain for a few months now, and I mostly need to talk to other people about it to get a good idea.

A few months ago, in the Fail of the Day thread, I talked about how my roommates for the 2010 year had huffed propane and I called the cops on them. That's all over and done, and I was able to get another apartment in the same complex, without having to pay any fees. But an issue with the new apartment I moved into, is that the people who were already living there, don't want me to live there. When I tried to contact them, one of them would say. "We don't want you here, we don't trust you, we think you'll steal our stuff. We don't want to get to know you." This is already sounding shady, but I didn't want to get involved because it could get really serious.

2 weeks ago, during my spring break, I decided to check our mailbox. I still own that new apartment I moved into, received all the keys necessary, and thought someone might send me a card to the new mailbox. And I find that lots of the mail inside is directed to a chinese name, which wouldn't follow because the two people living there have clearly White, Anglo-Saxon names. I'm pretty sure, that they are keeping a squatter in that apartment which would explain everything.

Here's the problem. I would want some form of justice because these two people, wouldn't even allow me to enter my own new apartment. And I don't believe they understand the legal obligations I earn for living in the apartment. So I'm really curious if I can report these goons to the apartment complex for squatting, but do it in a manner where I won't get in trouble. I can prove they don't know me, can't identify me, none of my belongings are in the apartment, and I can't even say what they look like. I've even tried to enter the apartment at one point, but they held the door shut or had a second lock installed.

Everyone is telling me to go ahead and do it, explain everything to the complex. But my brother wants me to completely wash my hands of the situation. That, it'll just create more possible drama. Yet, at the same time, he's very thankful to have me around now. This is just a really hard decision.

Comments

• Wait, you're paying for an apartment you can't live in? Of course you have to do something.
  • Wait, you're paying for an apartment you can't live in? Of course you have to do something.
    I am. I've been for the last few months. It's been alright for the last few months, because my family is letting me live here, they are really happy to have me, I can commute back-and-forth between college without issue. My mother has a career where getting a subpoena or going to court is really bad for business. The original conflict just caused so much drama, I was a bit concerned it would overbear my mother. But this new development, I'm wondering if this is me getting an opening or another trap I could possibly fall into.

I'm wondering if I can tell the truth, without being incriminated at all. There's even a small chance I'm wrong and there is no squatter there, but I'm curious if this is true, if it would be better to do nothing or try.
  • 1. Get a lawyer.
    2. Sue everybody.
    3. Profit.
    4. Get a new apartment somewhere else.

Seriously, there are some major things I don't quite understand:
    You moved out of your old propane-huffing apartment and were supposed to move into another apartment in the same building. When you went to go to the new apartment with keys you were given, in which there were already tenants, they refused to let you in? And whoever runs the building knows of this and is just taking your money?
    Who runs this building? Who is the landlord?
    How can a landlord just tell someone that they are getting another tenant in their apartment?
    What does your housing contract say? Is there one? If there was no contract signed, it could be problematic.
    You still go to this other apartment building to check mail? You and the tenants who are there share a box, correct?

I find it very hard to believe that there is a living situation that exists in which someone can just say "Oh, yeah, by the way there's someone new that is going to be moving in to your apartment. Have fun." It's pretty shocking unless it's a dorm-type situation. Also, it sounds like these people might be illegally subletting their apartment to someone, as in , they are charging some poor schmuck rent to live there without telling anybody.
  • First of all, why the heck are you paying rent on a place you can't live in? Also, why have you waited this long? If I got an apartment, and the people there didn't let me in, that's something you have to rectify on that very day. You should have immediately gone to the landlord that instant.
  • You should have immediately gone to the landlord that instant.
    You've waited far too long. Go to a lawyer or give up, and do it now.
  • edited March 2011
    Everyone is telling me to go ahead and do it, explain everything to the complex.
    I've been for the last few months.
    You needed to go to the complex the first fucking day this happened. "We don't want you here" doesn't mean anything when you've got a lease.
    There's even a small chance I'm wrong and there is no squatter there
    You have no evidence that this is happening at all. But the squatter isn't even the issue. The issue is that you were denied entry into your apartment, and that needed to be resolved 3 months ago.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • The issue is that you were denied entry into your apartment, and that needed to be resolved 3 months ago.
    At best, this shit needs to be in small claims court ASAP. But since it's been so long, get a lawyer.
  • You have no evidence that this is happening at all. But the squatter isn't even the issue. The issue is that you were denied entry into your apartment, and that needed to be resolved 3 months ago.
    This.
    Read your contract, and get a lawyer.
  • I don't even know why the hell you still want to live there? As soon as you had issues with the first flat mates, I'd look for another place in another building ASAP. Because you know that the landlord is worthless and probably all the tenants in the building are as sucky.
  • I'd look for another place in another building ASAP
    The thing is, his ability to do so depends on what's in his contract.
    If he can terminate the lease, then the solution is simple and he doesn't have to care what happens in that building at all.
  • I would sue for rent paid due to inability to occupy the premises, plus moving expenses to relocate and any fee for early termination.
  • You should seriously live on your own. That is just too much stupid drama to be involved in.
  • Well, I don't know how it works over there, but here if you terminate a contract beforehand yo lose your deposit and have to pay 1 months rent, and since he has paid over three months of rent for a place where he no longer lives two months worth wouldn't have been as bad.
  • So, Where does the revenge come into it?
  • So, Where does the revenge come into it?
    Apparently he wanted to report the squatting as a matter of "revenge". Pretty silly, really.
  • With the original apartment issues, the Apartment Complex got completely sick of me pushing them to give me answers about what's happening and what I can do. I told them about getting a lawyer and that was the only way they would really contact me. The big issue, was just that I couldn't terminate the lease. You couldn't leave it, no matter WHAT, unless you get subleased by someone. After our lawyer looked through the big mess, we learned that we can't really fight back without getting countersued just because the strength of the contact. If my mother wasn't a stockbroker/insurance salesman that requires having clients for income, then we would have. The reason why we took that is because we were dealing with a whole corporation and the stress/drama was becoming too much for the family.

That issue has passed.

Now, the reason why I didn't move in with these new guys before hand, is because I didn't get the new transfer until January. I get a call from these assholes who automatically don't want to know me, refuse to know me, and won't change. That already sounds really shady, especially on a high-level considering that reacted badly when I told them why I left.

Me: I left, because my roommates were huffing propane and nearly blew up the house so I had to call the cops.
    Their response: Well, why would you do that? Now we're going to see you as some kind of square.

I didn't pursue with it because my family really prefers me living at home, they were tired of the stress, and I was very doubtful that the people working for the company would be by my side. But now that I've learned that the issue isn't something super criminal, it's just a squatter, I'm curious over how I can appraoch it.

I automatically have a moral high ground with this and I can take a sense of judgement. I'm just curious if it's worth dealing with the potential problems that can come from reporting them. My biggest concern is that can I report every issue with these people, without getting myself incriminated. If I just say. "They have a squatter." I know, they can claim that I knew about the squatter the whole time and didn't report it. But I'm going to explain everything single detail of what they've done and how I have this theory that they could be housing someone. The biggest goal? Not to be legally screwed by a potential loophole
  • I'll be blunt. Your inaction and hesitation, coupled with a series of very poor decisions, have led you to where you are. You've ignored all of our advice to date, so there's no point in asking for more. You clearly don't actually want it.
  • edited March 2011
    I would sue for rent paid due to inability to occupy the premises, plus moving expenses to relocate and any fee for early termination.
    I dunno - if he didn't notify the complex of the problem, he probably has no basis to reclaim the rent he has paid. They can't be expected to fix something they don't know about.

First thing is to immediately notify the complex of the situation.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Compared to what happened earlier, I admit that I did buckle over what happened. The influence of my family hindered in my decision to really act, but they could of been the ones who really suffered. I really was confused over the situation, because I never knew anyone who had to deal with the particular advice. I DID ask this forum for advice when I wondered if I should call the police when I found out about the propane huffing. I reported it, like everyone said, and everything almost turned out for the worst because of it. The person who huffed the propane left for Georgia, due to his family taking him home and the other roommate felt a bit sorry over what happened. No one was brought to justice, it just caused a gigantic fucking headache

I really do want advice for this, mostly because it feels within control. And I did get REALLY pissed off finding out about this, but I'm still walking on eggshells because of creeping doubt. If this is a sure-fire, then I will actually do it.
  • if he didn't notify the complex of the problem, he probably has no basis to reclaim the rent he has paid. They can't be expected to fix something they don't know about.
    I'd take the tenants who wouldn't let me occupy to small claims court. I'd go after them and not the landlord. Of course, the situation is already far past the point of doing anything useful about it.
  • I didn't pursue with it because my family really prefers me living at home, they were tired of the stress, and I was very doubtful that the people working for the company would be by my side. But now that I've learned that the issue isn't something super criminal, it's just a squatter, I'm curious over how I can appraoch it.
    Once again, the main issue isn't the squatter. It's that you're paying rent for a place you don't live in.
    If you want to live with your family, that's fine, but you've got to fix the rent situation.

Nuri is right - tell the complex what's going on.
  • Is it breaking and entering if you do it to the place you're paying for?
  • Let me simply re-iterate the strong suggestion to get a lawyer. It can be remarkably helpful to have somebody on your team whose actual job is to represent your interests, even if you've screwed up some aspects of the situation in one way or another, and who has deep and broad knowledge of the relevant laws and regulations.
  • I want to know how I can get access to the fantasy land where you can afford to pay rent for a place you don't live in.

If it makes you feel better you can pay a third of my rent, not live there, and I'll send you a plate of brownies each month. All things considered it's a better deal then what you're facing now.
  • I want to know how I can get access to the fantasy land where you can afford to pay rent for a place you don't live in.

If it makes you feel better you can pay a third of my rent, not live there, and I'll send you a plate of brownies each month. All things considered it's a better deal then what you're facing now.
    As your Snack counsel, JSR, I advise you to get a sample of those brownies before you agree. Sure, they might be good brownies, but they might also be terrible, and terrible brownies are not worth a third of anything.
  • The issue isn't the rent. It's simple, I can't do anything about it. We looked at it legally, we looked through the contract, we would have to go through an intense legal battle for the lease to even be broken. We can't really make the sacrifices or risks necessary for this to work for us.

I'm just asking about the squatters, because that's the issue that can be handled. I brought up everything else as exposition.

As your Snack counsel, JSR, I advise you to get a sample of those brownies before you agree. Sure, they might be good brownies, but they might also be terrible, and terrible brownies are not worth a third of anything.
    As your counsel counsel, I advise you to be wary of soliciting advice from people like this. It can cost you much more than it's worth.
  • edited March 2011
    Report the fact that you are being denied entry to the complex. Don't say anything about the squatter. They will have a duty to investigate and should find the squatter on their own.

disclaimer: Not legal advice, yo. If you're worried about self-incrimination or something, then get a lawyer.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • The issue isn't the rent. It's simple, I can't do anything about it. We looked at it legally, we looked through the contract, we would have to go through an intense legal battle for the lease to even be broken. We can't really make the sacrifices or risks necessary for this to work for us.
    Then move into the place. You have the right to. Make life miserable for them, and make it clear that if they sublease or themselves cover the extra rent, you'll leave.

Don't be a pussy. Also, get a lawyer.
  • Don't be a pussy. Also, get a lawyer.
    Get stabbed?

For some reason I can't understand the complexity of the issue here. Is this school housing?