This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A Legal and Revenge-Based Quandary

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I'm just asking about the squatters, because that's the issue that can be handled. I brought up everything else as exposition.
    I don't get why you're so obsessed with this idea of a squatter. So the guys that live there are "shady". They disliked the idea of having someone just assigned into their house, I would too. Would I just lock you out? No. I would talk to the landlord/apartment manager. So they called you a "square" for reporting someone? They want to be "cool". They might do weed. They might be underage drinkers. They might even have an illegal pet that they love dearly that they don't want to be reported for. They MIGHT be a lot of things, and I'm sorry but assuming they have a squatter based on suspiciously named mail is bullshit. I got letters addressed to previous tenants all the time. Cards, bank statements, retirement information, what have you. You can't judge the situation simply based on mail.
    Post edited by Anrild on
  • As your counsel counsel, I advise you to be wary of soliciting advice from people like this. It can cost you much more than it's worth.
    As your Counsel Counsel Counsel, I advise you to listen to this advice.
  • Since you don't seem to care about the money...

1) Pay early termination fee.
    2) Get as far away from this place as possible.
  • I didn't know it was possible, you are literally approaching this situation like someone in the "friend zone". Stop this passive aggressive bullshit.
    I'll be blunt. Your inaction and hesitation, coupled with a series of very poor decisions, have led you to where you are. You've ignored all of our advice to date, so there's no point in asking for more. You clearly don't actually want it.
  • edited March 2011
    Since you don't seem to care about the money...

1) Pay early termination fee.
    2) Get as far away from this place as possible.
    The thing is, early termination could end up costing the entirety of what the full-term lease would have cost.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • The thing is, early termination could end up costing the entirety of what the full-term lease would have cost.
    THEN THAT IS A SHITTY FUCKING LEASE NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND SHOULD EVER SIGN!!!!
  • THEN THAT IS A SHITTY FUCKING LEASE NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND SHOULD EVER SIGN!!!!
    Yea, usually the leases I am familiar with cost you the first and last month rent in escrow if you break it...
  • It's possible that his lease has an automatic renewal clause, so if he does nothing he'll be paying money for a place he doesn't live in forever.
  • It's possible that his lease has an automatic renewal clause, so if he does nothing he'll be paying money for a place he doesn't live in forever.
    It doesn't, thankfully. And they have no early termination fee. Man, I fucking trusted my extended family of businessmen and judges to read this lease and tell me if it was legitimate.

Don't think I don't want people's advice, because this shit has really bothered me. I'm not looking for a reason to back out, I'm looking for security. The law is fucking serious business, I don't want to blowback on a huge magnitude for revenge on this level. What I want to know is if I can get them in trouble without putting myself on the line. It's the same thing that happens when you press charges on a lawbreaker.
  • edited March 2011
    I'm just asking about the squatters, because that's the issue that can be handled.
    Once again, you have no evidence of squatting. You have a suspicion. What are you basing this on? That someone in the apartment has a Chinese name? Yeah, because nobody with a Chinese name could possibly be a legitimate tenant.

You need to go to the complex first, no matter what. Before any suing can happen, you need to demonstrate that you've done due diligence in attempting to resolve the situation. Frankly, you haven't, and suing would probably be a disastrous idea.

So contact the complex, then contact a lawyer if it doesn't get resolved. And get the fuck out of that complex.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • The law is fucking serious business, I don't want to blowback on a huge magnitude for revenge on this level. What I want to know is if I can get them in trouble without putting myself on the line.
    If you are serious about this, then talk to a lawyer who is licensed to practice in your location. It's the only way.
  • It doesn't, thankfully. And they have no early termination fee. Man, I fucking trusted my extended family of businessmen and judges to read this lease and tell me if it was legitimate.
    Rule one of contracts, lots of legally legitimate contracts are utter bullshit you should never sign. Surely you can get out by paying the whole lease up front. Since you're completely unwilling to litigate I suggest you pay up and get out. This is a skivvy apartment complex and you want to get as far away from it as you possibly can.
  • Okay, call me fucking moronic because I'm saying this if you want, but I'm looking up and getting no information.

Is it Legal for the Apartment Complex itself to have no Early Termination or Cancellation Fee for their tenants?
  • edited March 2011
    I'm not a lawyer, and this isn't legal advice, but your first step is obvious:-

Tell the landlord that you are unable to get into the place that you are paying money for. Tell them that, if unresolved, this is valid grounds for breaking your lease early without penalty, and that given the inconvenience already caused you would prefer this option. Tell them that if the situation isn't fixed, you will seek legal recourse.

Chances are they'll sort it out so that you can get in, but this would be a start, at the least. Once you actually have access to the apartment there could easily be plenty of other legitimate grounds for breaking the lease without penalty. Even if there isn't any, if you don't want to live there you should still break lease.

Without proper grounds, you'll likely still be liable for rent. However, if another tenant is found, you can no longer be held liable for further rent, so this is clearly the better option. Hell, if there's already a squatter, then that squatter could easily become your replacement.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Is it Legal for the Apartment Complex itself to have no Early Termination or Cancellation Fee for their tenants?
    We're not lawyers. HungryJoe is the only person on these forums licensed to practice law, and it only applies to Maryland as far as I know. It may also be outside of his specialty, and he usually makes a point of not dispensing legal advice.

The point is that nobody can tell you that except a lawyer.
  • The point is that nobody can tell you that except a lawyer.
  • I'll go find my mother's lawyer who helped us out with the first issue to get an answer. I'm fucking glad this can all end in July.
  • Is it Legal for the Apartment Complex itself to have no Early Termination or Cancellation Fee for their tenants?
    It depends on your local laws. Many states have pretty strict laws specifically designed to protect tenants' rights. Sometimes they specifically forbid certain lease provisions or render them ineffective. You HAVE to research your local code, and to know what to look for you really need to hire someone who is familiar with your local laws. A Landlord/Tenant lawyer is your best bet. Sometimes they will do free initial consultations, so you can explain your circumstance without having to pay up front. Then they can tell you if they think they can help you. Seriously, a lease contract is a highly particularized legal issue. You aren't going to find reliable legal advice online if you are looking at generalities like that.
  • edited March 2011
    I do really appreciate everyone's stances on the situation. I just really wish my family's income didn't depend on a career that requires a safe public image and an insurance license that demands you never get involved with the law.

EDIT: I realize how this post sounds, but no, I'm not going to give up on this unless there really is no benefit for reporting them.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • edited March 2011
    insurance license that demands you never get involved with the law.
    Um, how is your son hiring a lawyer for a personal issue in which he is in the right going to impact your company insurance? You are a different legal entity than your mom is. It shouldn't matter.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • insurance license that demands you never get involved with the law.
    Um, how is your son hiring a lawyer for a personal issue in which he is in the right going to impact your company insurance? You are a different legal entity than your mom is. It shouldn't matter.
    This. It sounds like your mom is just an incredibly worry-wort. Your real-estate issues should have no impact on your mother's career or license in any way. If someone brings actual financial harm against your mother because of a issue you have that is completely unrelated to her, then I, not being a lawyer, would suspect that as grounds for yet another lawsuit.
  • insurance license that demands you never get involved with the law.
    This. It sounds like your mom is just an incredibly worry-wort. Your real-estate issues should have no impact on your mother's career or license in any way. If someone brings actual financial harm against your mother because of a issue you have that is completely unrelated to her, then I, not being a lawyer, would suspect that as grounds for yet another lawsuit.
    Unless he is a minor and unable to sign a lease. If the mother then had to sign the lease then she'd be the one affected by all the legal stuff.
  • I think her being listed in the lease as the guardian and financial supplier of income for me, plays a role. It could be that she's just overworrying, because that's what she does and she often gets stressed by several things. The first issue? That got pretty heavy. The only ones suggesting I don't take any specific action, is my family. So I'm really unsure on if they want me to just stay or if there's an actual issue at hand.
  • Then her insurance is unconscionable. If they don't allow her to seek civil legal help in a situation in which she has been wronged, they are totally bogus. No policy should have a clause that forbids you to seek legal help for anything, ever. How exactly is it going to hurt your public image to help your son, who is a minor, fight a shitty landlord? To me, that seems good for your public image.
  • edited March 2011
    I think her being listed in the lease as the guardian and financial supplier of income for me, plays a role. It could be that she's just overworrying, because that's what she does and she often gets stressed by several things. The first issue? That got pretty heavy. The only ones suggesting I don't take any specific action, is my family. So I'm really unsure on if they want me to just stay or if there's an actual issue at hand.
    Are they (your family) the ones paying the rent? Is your mom the one putting up the money for those months you've lived home? Is she the one that said not to pursue legal action? If the answer is yes, then fuck it, it's their money, it's their problem if they don't want you to get stuff straight.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Unless he is a minor and unable to sign a lease. If the mother then had to sign the lease then she'd be the one affected by all the legal stuff.
    In that case, don't do anything. If your parents want to flush money down the toilet paying rent for no apartment, let her do it. It's no skin off your back whatsoever. Just ignore the problem complete and let your parents suffer for their own mistake. Just don't sweat it or think about it because it causes absolutely no trouble for you.
  • edited March 2011
    I think her being listed in the lease as the guardian and financial supplier of income for me, plays a role. It could be that she's just overworrying, because that's what she does and she often gets stressed by several things. The first issue? That got pretty heavy. The only ones suggesting I don't take any specific action, is my family. So I'm really unsure on if they want me to just stay or if there's an actual issue at hand.
    Are they (your family) the ones paying the rent? Is your mom the one putting up the money for those months you've lived home? Is she the one that said not to pursue legal action? If the answer is yes, then fuck it, it's their money, it's their problem if they don't want you to get stuff straight.
    That was the thing that got me for the first issue. They didn't want me to do anything and they had the control, so we didn't take any action.

For this smaller issue, I was curious over if the squatters or assholes in the apartment could get punished without me or my family getting involved in a potential legal battle.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • Just ignore the problem complete and let your parents suffer for their own mistake. Just don't sweat it or think about it because it causes absolutely no trouble for you.
    But still try to take away the lessons learned from this encounter.

I still think you should do everything possible to get out of the lease now rather than later. Who knows what illegal things they're up to in that apartment that they don't want you in. I'd want my name unattached from that level of risk.
  • Are you a minor or not?
  • I am not a minor, but my parents wanted to cover everything. I pay through my bank account, but they are suppliers of the money and my guardian.