This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A Legal and Revenge-Based Quandary

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Unless he is a minor and unable to sign a lease. If the mother then had to sign the lease then she'd be the one affected by all the legal stuff.
    In that case, don't do anything. If your parents want to flush money down the toilet paying rent for no apartment, let her do it. It's no skin off your back whatsoever. Just ignore the problem complete and let your parents suffer for their own mistake. Just don't sweat it or think about it because it causes absolutely no trouble for you.
    Yeah, this should have been made clear from the very beginning...

Still, if your parents are happy to throw money away, then surely they could just give the money to you instead? If you can save them some money by fixing the issue, surely you deserve some of it?

In general, my understanding (though I'm not a lawyer) is that you can break the lease whenever you want to, though if you don't have adequate grounds for this, you can be held liable for lost rent. However, if another tenant is found - and they can't simply sit around not looking for a tenant, though you should help too - the landlord can no longer charge for this. Consequently, if you don't want to live there, it's clearly better to break the lease as soon as possible.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • It's no skin off your back whatsoever.
    This wouldn't be true even if he was a minor. It's his name on the contract. It's his record and financial history.
  • I am not a minor, but my parents wanted to cover everything. I pay through my bank account, but they are suppliers of the money and my guardian.
    I think what you really need to do is live independently of your parents. From the time I was 18 my parents were not listed on my bank account, my lease, or anything. They provided some financial support, but they just gave me money straight up. I was completely under control of all my own business, and they had nothing to do with it. I sought advice from them on occasion, but I was personally responsible for all my own things.

Sounds to me like this is just your parents problem. Don't even think about it. Just let it all go. Don't stress about it or worry about it at all. Your parents will suffer from their own inaction. Meanwhile, you should go and do your own thing in a non-fail fashion. Live where and how you want to live. Worry about yourself. It doesn't hurt you if there is a squatter there or not. Paying this rent is stupid, and I would fight tooth and nail if it were me, but it's not your money. Just let it go and live worry-free.
  • It's no skin off your back whatsoever.
    This wouldn't be true even if he was a minor. It's his name on the contract. It's his record and financial history.
    If it hurt me in any way, I would fight tooth and nail for what's right, regardless of my parents.
  • The issue doesn't physically harm me, because how much my family is willing to cover it, but there was still that emotional stress. It's all bullshit nevertheless. I'm glad that atleast when I left, bad word of mouth spread about the apament complex because of the incompetence of the staff
  • edited March 2011
    (accidental double post, on phone atm)
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • edited March 2011
    I do really appreciate everyone's stances on the situation. I just really wish my family's income didn't depend on a career that requires a safe public image and an insurance license that demands you never get involved with the law.
    I don't see how fighting for your rights as a tenant would bring bad press. It's not like people go "That Emily, she's shady! She was in conflict with her landlady over the return of her security deposit. Also, it certainly doesn't affect my parents. No one goes to my dad and says "OMG, your kid, she wrote an angry letter to her landlady and took her to small claims court? Shame!" There is privacy involved. No one would even connect it to your mom.

To do:
    1. Read your lease. Scan it, make copies, make sure you understand everything before you sign it.
    2. Are you subletting? Ignore the squatter, because it is not their fault this is happening, fight with the tenants and the building instead.
    3. Stop being such a goddamn wuss baby. Stop wasting your money and whining about it. Deal with things like this as soon as possible. That way there is less drama.

I once had a bitchy roommate who would let people sleep in my bed and smoke marijuana in it without asking. She would not lock the apartment door, and would wake me up in the middle of the night when I locked it before I went to bed because she didn't take her keys. It was annoying. I said "quit doing this" and she said "no" and I said "You are a sucky roommate and I am moving out!" and she said "Yeah right." I had a new place to live by the end of the week. Don't put up with shit.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • That Emily, she's shady! She was in conflict with her landlady over the return of her security deposit.
  • That Emily, she's shady! She was in conflict with her landlady over the return of her security deposit.
    Man, I didn't realize Emily was so Shady, I definitely can't trust her in business deals and life :-p
  • That Emily, she's a bitch...

...what?
    Man, I didn't realize Emily was so Shady, I definitely can't trust her in business deals and life :-p
    She must get it from her mother, who simply cannot be trusted anymore in matters involving a public image.
  • Man, I didn't realize Emily was so Shady, I definitely can't trust her in business deals and life :-p
    I heard, once, at work, there was a box of donuts, and she took the last one. And she Jaywalks!
  • Man, I didn't realize Emily was so Shady, I definitely can't trust her in business deals and life :-p
    I heard, once, at work, there was a box of donuts, and she took the last one. And she Jaywalks!
    I heard that random strangers smoke marijuana in her bed!
  • I heard that random strangers smoke marijuana in her bed!
    Sometimes it's even while she's there!
  • I heard that random strangers smoke marijuana in her bed! Her bed smells like marijuana, she must be a pot head.
  • People are saying Emily is a pot head!
    I heard she smokes pot while lounging around naked in her front yard...
  • edited March 2011
    I hear she's bougie enough to have a front yard in the middle of New York.
    Post edited by Churba on
    Acting like that, it's no wonder she had trouble with her landlady.
  • Ahahaha.
  • So, on the topic at hand - do you care that your parents are spending money unnecessarily, especially if you could get that money instead?

If so, then do these things:
    1. Read your lease. Scan it, make copies, make sure you understand everything before you sign it.
    2. Are you subletting? Ignore the squatter, because it is not their fault this is happening, fight with the tenants and the building instead.
    3. Stop being such a goddamn wuss baby. Stop wasting your money and whining about it. Deal with things like this as soon as possible. That way there is less drama.
    To take action, you need to give your landlord written notice that the situation is not okay. List the things that are going on, and tell them you no longer wish to live in the complex.
  • Ahahaha.
    ^_^
    Acting like that, it's no wonder she had trouble with her landlady.
    You guys are my favorite.
  • Mine too!
  • edited March 2011
    Depending on where you live, you might have a law school nearby with a legal clinic. You might also find a lawyer who does some pro bono. Depending on your income, you might qualify for a local Legal Aid.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited March 2011
    To take action, you need to give your landlord written notice that the situation is not okay. List the things that are going on, and tell them you no longer wish to live in the complex.
    Certified Mail, with signature confirmation. That way you know they have gotten it, and they cannot plead ignorance of the situation in court.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Haha, oh the laughing.

So I did talk with our lawyer and brought the situation up with my family once again. Apartment complexes in Harrisonburg, VA don't have to have early termination options and they can only allow subleasing as their only option. And although my family doesn't like the situation at all, they just don't want to get involved with any more drama with the place just so we can wash our hands of them completely. It is their money, but my mom could still lose her insurance license if she were to get countersued or any legal action were brought upon her.

It's all kind of done, but honestly, I've learned something from having this thread built.
  • It's all kind of done, but honestly, I've learned something from having this thread built.
    What did you learn?