This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX Prime 2011

Comments

• Anyone get to play Monaco?
    Walked past it. Not enough time to stop and play. Didn't play Spy Party either. Did talk to Chris Hecker for a minute or two. Cool guy.
    Yeah, it was a lot of fun, but it was very chaotic. I feel like there's too much to pay attention to when you're running around, but I definitely like the "just-press-a-direction" mechanic.
  • edited August 2011
    My 3 minutes of infamy start at 2:12.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • This is entirely anecdotal, but I encountered a lot of first time PAXers. I also heard multiple stories of people getting tickets as gifts from other people. Perhaps the illegitimate badges allowed many of these first-time people to come?
  • This is entirely anecdotal, but I encountered a lot of first time PAXers. I also heard multiple stories of people getting tickets as gifts from other people. Perhaps the illegitimate badges allowed many of these first-time people to come?
    I asked my ~350 person audience (Minecraft panel) for how many people was this their first PAX. About 1/4 of the audience raised their hands.
  • I asked my ~350 person audience (Minecraft panel) for how many people was this their first PAX. About 1/4 of the audience raised their hands.
    That was a good panel, and I was shocked by how many raised their hands (I'd have estimated it as far more than a quarter, but I was back in the cheap seats). Where do the new people keep coming from?
  • Games acquired at PAX:

Innovation with expansion
    Penny Arcade the Game: Gamers vs. Evil with promo cards of Younglings and Fruit Fucker
    Smallworld: Underworld
    7 Wonders expansion
    Food Fight
  • We did two events at PAX Prime 2011!

Discover the Forgotten Masters
    Saturday @ noon: Serpent Theatre

Learn to Play: Boardgames
    Saturday 6pm-8pm: Tabletop Workshops - Room 302

If you attended the workshop (or want us to run more tabletop workshops at future PAXes), fill out this survey!

Dude! I'll buy that badge off of ya! Fifteen bucks! C'mon, you ain't gonna get a better price from the other guys!
  • edited September 2011
    My Minecraft panel, recorded and uploaded (way too) quickly by someone in the audience (only part one below):

Post edited by Alex Leavitt on
  • From a fellow Enforcer:

• Scott (or anyone else who knows): what is the name of that Maid themed Dominion game?
  • Scott (or anyone else who knows): what is the name of that Maid themed Dominion game?
    Tanto Cuore.
    Tanto Cuore.
    Is it good? I keep hearing both yeses and nos from people. And "I would never play this near people I'm not extremely familiar with."
  • Is it good? I keep hearing both yeses and nos from people. And "I would never play this near people I'm not extremely familiar with."
    I haven't played it, I don't think I ever will, but Jeremy likes the mechanics that are similar to Dominion along with some of the differences.

One difference was "active maid" bonuses. He also says it's not a "pervy" game in that it's not hentai. He doesn't really know about moe, but they totally look moe to me.

He liked the game play and wasn't distracted by the images.

I will leave it with a silly story; as a Tabletop Enforcer the game was donated to our library during PAX. Our TT Boss/Chair/Manager pointed out that the person who donated it goes by the name of "SuperKawaiiNeko" which amused me.
  • Is it good? I keep hearing both yeses and nos from people. And "I would never play this near people I'm not extremely familiar with."
    It's almost exactly the same game as Dominion with only slight differences.
    I just don't understand the appeal of the game. Even though it's completely possible to make a game about Japanese maids without being pervy hentai, it's got to be a huge challenge separating yourself from those impressions. So now your audience is down to the intersection of people who get the theme and ALSO love deck building card games. That can't be a huge sample. They must have very low overhead in order to make this a financial success.
  • edited September 2011
    Is it good? I keep hearing both yeses and nos from people. And "I would never play this near people I'm not extremely familiar with."
    I just don't understand the appeal of the game. Even though it's completely possible to make a game about Japanese maids without being pervy hentai, it's got to be a huge challenge separating yourself from those impressions. So now your audience is down to the intersection of people who get the theme and ALSO love deck building card games. That can't be a huge sample. They must have very low overhead in order to make this a financial success.
    I honestly think the primary audience is the moé fanatics rather than (any sort of) card/board gamer -- just like with anime, once it's stylized, it's bound to sell based solely on the imagery.
    Post edited by Alex Leavitt on
    I honestly think the primary audience is the moé fanatics rather than (any sort of) card/board gamer -- just like with anime, once it's stylized, it's bound to sell based solely on the imagery.
    That's what I originally thought as well but then they went on a big marketing campaign, buying up lots of ad space on board gamer specific websites and attending just about every major con.
  • The big thing for me is that it's the same as Dominion, but way more portable. I have all the Dominion expansions except for Prosperity and Cornucopia. I would like to buy those expansions, but I stopped playing Dominion. The only reason I stopped playing is because the game is too big and heavy to carry around! Tanto Cuore is portable, and has room for expansions in the box, which means it will get played.
  • The big thing for me is that it's the same as Dominion, but way more portable. I have all the Dominion expansions except for Prosperity and Cornucopia. I would like to buy those expansions, but I stopped playing Dominion. The only reason I stopped playing is because the game is too big and heavy to carry around! Tanto Cuore is portable, and has room for expansions in the box, which means it will get played.
    Has Tanto Cuore streamlined the whole deckbuilding process so that you can play a quality game with less cards? If so, then it has accomplished something. If not, you could always just box up a limited set of Dominion cards to truck around, unless you'd be tortured with this feeling of missing out by leaving 2/3 of the cards at home. Inevitably, Tanto Cuore will get expanded, and then expanded again if it does well. It's surely not going to stop with Dominion. There has been a defined plan for 9 (!) expansions since day 1, after which the designer might entertain the idea of doing "best of" compilations and such to keep the cash flowing.
  • Has Tanto Cuore streamlined the whole deckbuilding process so that you can play a quality game with less cards? If so, then it has accomplished something. If not, you could always just box up a limited set of Dominion cards to truck around, unless you'd be tortured with this feeling of missing out by leaving 2/3 of the cards at home. Inevitably, Tanto Cuore will get expanded, and then expanded again if it does well. It's surely not going to stop with Dominion. There has been a defined plan for 9 (!) expansions since day 1, after which the designer might entertain the idea of doing "best of" compilations and such to keep the cash flowing.
    It has a lot less cards that Dominion.
  • edited September 2011
    Pax just tweeted this:

PAX Prime Goers: Do you know who this guy is? Email pax_questions@paxsite.com. Thank you. yfrog.com/h7gkehnj

https://twitter.com/#!/official_pax/status/110806915034005505

Perhaps related to the counterfeiting incident?
    Post edited by Gundampilotspaz on
  • Pax just tweeted this:

PAX Prime Goers: Do you know who this guy is? Email pax_questions@paxsite.com. Thank you. yfrog.com/h7gkehnj

Perhaps related to the counterfeiting incident?
    That they don't provide context for giving information about him is pretty immoral, IMO.
  • edited September 2011
    That they don't provide context for giving information about him is pretty immoral, IMO.
    I agree. If they want to find him for a positive reason, like he has a prize coming to him, then they should say so. It's more likely that they want to find him for a negative reason, in which case leave it to the police to search for him properly. If it's a negative reason that isn't police-worthy, then it's not worth looking for him at all.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited September 2011
    Anyone who has some nice pics from PAX that they are willing to give away for free** send me a whisper or better yet an email with said pics timo(dot)ruppell(at)gmail(dot)com. I'm doing a couple of friends a favor by writing about my PAX exerience and may or may not get compensation. If I get compensated I'll share / donate it to child's play.

**There may be compensation in the form of tinned reindeer meats or other Finnish specialities
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • It's more likely that they want to find him for a negative reason, in which case leave it to the police to search for him properly.
    There could be slander/libel liability if they said why they wanted to know who he was and said thing was negative. A tweet like this is much more likely to find the guy than any amount of police investigation, and can direct the latter accordingly. But saying anything more exposes PAX to too much liability.

Process servers, for example, can ask your landlord if you're home, and probably where you live. But they can't say why they want to see you: the serving is a private matter, and I'm fairly certain they can be held liable for slander if they let on the nature of the document being served to people other than the designated recipient. Debt collectors can investigate and/or search for you, but they can't tell, say, your office or the public, that they're trying to collect a debt.
  • Anyone who has some nice pics from PAX that they are willing to give away for free** send me a whisper or better yet an email with said pics timo(dot)ruppell(at)gmail(dot)com. I'm doing a couple of friends a favor by writing about my PAX exerience and may or may not get compensation. If I get compensated I'll share / donate it to child's play.

**There may be compensation in the form of tinned reindeer meats or other Finnish specialities
    Timo, there is a PAX media library where they provide 10 or so high-quality images for people to use if they are writing about the con. I'll look it up when I get a chance and shoot you the URL/password in a whisper.