This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX Prime 2011

Comments

• if you can hitchhike to Seattle and magically find a pass
    My friend who works for Nintendo can get passes from them at a discount, but they've been limiting the number of badges the last couple years (they used to just give out media passes to everyone who wanted one), so he got a couple regular passes just to make sure. He sold those two regular passes for $225... EACH.
  • edited August 2011
    He sold those two regular passes for $225... EACH.
    So he made a profit out of selling his badges?
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • He sold those two regular passes for $225... EACH.
    So he made a profit out of selling his badges?
    Yep. He made about 300% profit on his investment.
    So, he scalped them...
  • My friend who works for Nintendo can get passes from them at a discount, but they've been limiting the number of badges the last couple years (they used to just give out media passes to everyone who wanted one), so he got a couple regular passes just to make sure. He sold those two regular passes for $225... EACH.
    Tell your friend he's a dick.
  • So, he scalped them...
    He sold them for what the person offered. He didn't ask for that much.
    Tell your friend he's a dick.
    He's fully aware that he's a dick.
    That's a HUGE fucking no-no. There's a story about someone locally scalping tickets having Robert Khoo show up to buy the tickets and shame the seller, though I don't recall evidence to prove it isn't apocryphal. Don't just tell this person he's a dick, punch him in the dick.

My badges arrived yesterday (woo!), and I bought two extra in case a friend decided to come out for it or something. I'm the kind of bastard who thinks people should be punished (financially) for not buying tickets they knew would sell out, but I'll be selling any I don't need at exactly face value because it's PAX, damnit. "Don't be a dick." (I am not advertising selling them now).
  • There's a story about someone locally scalping tickets having Robert Khoo show up to buy the tickets and shame the seller, though I don't recall evidence to prove it isn't apocryphal.
    The story is true, however, from what I recall he basically just stood around to see a bunch of people confused or something.

Nothing we can do more of the matter than to call Knox's friend a dick, who is ok with it. It is a bit disheartening hearing stories like this because it's not what PAX is about. If a person offered him that much more than actual cost, it would be difficult to say no, but for those who aren't a dick would have just took the price they paid.

Your friend obviously does not have the spirit of PAX. :(
  • Your friend obviously does not have the spirit of PAX. :(
    I think he would beg to differ, but it's not my job to defend him. He's a big boy and can do it himself.
  • if you can hitchhike to Seattle and magically find a pass
    My friend who works for Nintendo can get passes from them at a discount, but they've been limiting the number of badges the last couple years (they used to just give out media passes to everyone who wanted one), so he got a couple regular passes just to make sure. He sold those two regular passes for $225... EACH.
    They have been a lot more stingy on media passes this year, and that is a good thing. They used to have another outside company handling media and they were a joke. Now Reed has taken it in-house and has set up a lot of rules, is actually scrutinizing who registers, and is taking zero tolerance for outlets who show up with extra staff on site looking for a few more badges. I probably could not get in this year for the site I was working with last year.

PAX handles media beautifully, they get no special treatment outside one quiet room with conplimentary internet access to retreat and write in. The only problem is with the expo hall, where companies are free to do as they please. Most will allow media to jump the line (sometimes only by appointment, sometimes not. I did it for Portal. 2 and Dragon Age 2 last year and felt like a dirty man, but someone from a big site who actually needs to get in to get coverage shouls not). This is perfectly OK if there is a limited media presence but not OK if there is lots of joke media running around.
  • I think I officially like PAX as an adult more than I liked Christmas as a child. I don't recall ever waking up excited for Christmas when it was over a week away. I've been jumping out of bed full of morning energy b/c I know it's getting closer. Sweet, sweet 72 hours of gaming.
  • Holy expo hall. Major spillover onto the 6th floor. Wondering whay the final layout of the con will be. Only other change I noticed was that will call is no longer in Sheraton (and if course the big change to paramount from benaroya.)
  • There's a special place of hate in my heart for companies who take the PAX media list and actually call you on your phone to confirm that you received their spam press release email. There is an even more special place for Game Church (no, I'm not kidding) who called to make sure I got their invite to their super cool after party. I wonder if they'll be playing this?
  • Time is ticking and I cannot wait. PAX is going to be a great lifting of my spirits amid what would normally be a morose job hunt.
  • SAX (bag stuffing party) today! It will be awesome to see familiar Enforcer faces.

Also our schedule is up. Once again you will see Jeremy and myself at Tabletop Friday through Sunday from 9AM to 3PM. Come by and say hello!

PAX fever has begun.

As for the weather, the forecast looks really good. Clear, sunny days, low to mid 70s. However, I would wait to see what they say by Wednesday.
  • PAX fever has begun.
    I've had PAX fever for like a month. Hoepfully it will go away and not turn into PAX pox. Any cool peeps who are going and not in the Beluga Pod, you should say something.
  • PAX fever has begun.
    I've had PAX fever for like a month. Hoepfully it will go away and not turn into PAX pox. Any cool peeps who are going and not in the Beluga Pod, you should say something.
    I guess you can add me. Never used it before, and I'm actually spending time with friends I haven't seen in a year, so I'll probably be very busy, but sure, might as well.
  • I guess you can add me. Never used it before, and I'm actually spending time with friends I haven't seen in a year, so I'll probably be very busy, but sure, might as well.
    Think of it as a temporary private Twitter just for us.
  • PAX has an official app now instead of using Conventionist. It's annoying because it shows you this Battlefield 3 ad when you open the app. Also, the schedule is wrong, but I'm sure it will be updated. Otherwise it's mostly the same as Conventionist with only tiny differences. I think I would have slightly preferred Conventionist, but I never really use convention apps that much at the convention itself even though I always install them. Thing is, you can't blame Khoo for this move. Having your own app makes you money when you sell an ad in it. Using Conventionist costs money. No brainer from his perspective.
  • PAX has an official app now instead of using Conventionist. It's annoying because it shows you this Battlefield 3 ad when you open the app. Also, the schedule is wrong, but I'm sure it will be updated. Otherwise it's mostly the same as Conventionist with only tiny differences. I think I would have slightly preferred Conventionist, but I never really use convention apps that much at the convention itself even though I always install them. Thing is, you can't blame Khoo for this move. Having your own app makes you money when you sell an ad in it. Using Conventionist costs money. No brainer from his perspective.
    Kind of preferring the PAX Assistant (Android) app. Free, no ads, integrates schedule with Twitter feeds, and it's quick.
  • The app is the first time I've seen the new WSCC maps. Not sure if they were up on the web at all. Looks like more tabletop rooms than before if I remember last year correctly. I am pleased!
  • The app is pretty crap. Slow, ads, crashes, and a messed up schedule...
  • Mojang is looking for volunteers to help with their booth at PAX.
    I'll be there Friday! I'm looking forward to it; No idea what I would spend my PAX time doing otherwise.
  • Any cool peeps who are going and not in the Beluga Pod, you should say something.
    My email is dromaro1258@hotmail.com
  • The app is pretty crap. Slow, ads, crashes, and a messed up schedule...
    I got an "updating events" message when I opened it this morning. Checked te GeekDad panel and tbat was accurate, not sure about the rest of the schedule though. In general the app is pretty useless and it feeds into my "everything needs to be an app" pet peeve. It's not that hard to just save all of the PDF maps and schedules from the PAX site into your phone.
  • This was bothering me so I looked into it. On the PAX map, there is tabletop space (tournaments) on the first floor of the WSCC. I couldn't remember any useable gaming space down there, so I compared it to the WSCC floor plan right now and when you overlay them, the tabletop space would actually be.... outside? I know that's impossible, so what gives. WSCC renovation/expansion and never updated their floor plans? or PAX maps slightly off?
  • edited August 2011
    That's right weather, get all this rain out of your system in time for PAX. It hasn't rained like this in a while. I miss it at times.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • That's right weather, get all this rain out of your system in time for PAX. It hasn't rained like this in a while. I miss it at times.
    Suck it up. Down here, we don't just miss rain, we miss weather.
  • One more hour and one more work day to go.

Are you excited? Because I'm excited. I don't think I've ever been so excited. Except for the time I went huuuuuhh! but I mean really.

#PAXPAXPAX