This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

House Hunting

Comments

• edited January 2016
    I'm also really not interested in that level of rehab, unless I'm rehabbing something particularly cool. This is just some normal beat up house that isn't very interesting.

For reference, here are two old-ass farmhouses we're looking at now:

http://www.zillow.com/homes/2105-Indian-Fields-Rd,-Feura-Bush,-NY-12067_rb/?fromHomePage=true&shouldFireSellPageImplicitClaimGA=false&fromHomePageTab=buy

http://www.zillow.com/savedhomes/for_sale/29674866_zpid/3-_beds/1-_baths/1_pnd/42.636358,-73.724785,42.507413,-74.01764_rect/11_zm/1_rs/1_fr/

These will likely entail reasonable amounts of fixing up, as opposed to basically building a new goddamn house.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • yea but 10 acres for 100k you could build something new on it ^_^
  • edited January 2016
    huh, buyers market looks like you can be aggressive. Both those houses look nice.

What's with the Z-estimates being sooooo off in price. I am used to them being slightly off but in those prices it's almost 60 to 80k off.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • If i could have reliable internet i would just live in an rv :)
  • Tiny house for me.
  • Fancy yacht for me. The Bond villain kind. Helicopter landing pad level.
  • Cremlian said:

huh, buyers market looks like you can be aggressive. Both those houses look nice.

What's with the Z-estimates being sooooo off in price. I am used to them being slightly off but in those prices it's almost 60 to 80k off.

Yeah, we have noticed that the houses in our area seem to be hanging around on the market for a while, so we are definitely going to be aggressive on any offers we make. We got pre-approved for our max we're willing to offer just so we have options, but ideally we will be offering something lower so we have a little money to do any work that needs to be done. There are enough houses we like out there that we can afford to make offers that might be rejected.

• If you guys need a good inspector, we can get you the guys who helped us out. He literally saved us for buying what looked like a solid house but was actually a money pit.
  • Apparently I need to consider retiring in Albany.
  • You have to watch out for property taxes around here, that's the one thing. Our desired range is $4k - $6k a year on a ~$200k property - that puts us in the more rural locales.

In some municipalities, I've seen bills of $10k - $11k on comparably valued properties.

Many of those provide worthwhile services, but you've really gotta be sure you're willing to pony up nearly $1k a month just to own the place.
    Cremlian said:

Well, I believe that's based on sales of comparable homes in the surrounding area. Some of those areas were last sold in a housing bubble. This could also be the result of a shift towards a buyer's market. There are actually tons of foreclosures in the area, and houses are sitting around without moving for some time.

There's a 20-acre plot of land near where we live right now that's been for sale for two years. Nobody's touched it.

Hey, we should see about that.

• You have to watch out for property taxes around here, that's the one thing. Our desired range is $4k - $6k a year on a ~$200k property - that puts us in the more rural locales.

In some municipalities, I've seen bills of $10k - $11k on comparably valued properties.

Many of those provide worthwhile services, but you've really gotta be sure you're willing to pony up nearly $1k a month just to own the place.

That's more property taxes than I pay federal taxes. My property taxes are only $3Kish on a $245K property.

• There's a 20-acre plot of land near where we live right now that's been for sale for two years. Nobody's touched it.

Hey, we should see about that.

No. House. Buying a HOUSE. Not land. We need a pace to move to.

• Buy land, put lean-to on it and move in :-p
  • Buy the land get a temporary mobile home/RV live on the land and build the home of your dreams.
  • Would rather buy home almost of our dreams and make some tweaks. There is one legitimately within our price range. We'll see.
  • We're almost done seeing the initial list of 13 houses. Most have been eliminated, some have eliminated themselves, and one was snatched away from us (and then not, and then again).

The process is interesting. We went from "boring normal suburban house" to "historic farmhouse with shit tons of land." Tomorrow, we will look at a house that's older than our country, on more land than I can fathom.

Current frontrunner is a pretty normal boring ruralish house. There's an oldass farmhouse on the list too, but it needs about $25k in work (due to a missing chunk of sill plate that rotted away, and a corner post that's been replaced with a 2x4). I'm confident we could lowball that one, because the disclosure statement says there's no rot or water damage.

Sure, right. Because the sill plate just sprouted legs and walked the fuck away.

Normal boring house needs like no work, but we'd probably have to hit it with an offer a little bit above what we wanted to pay. Not unreasonable, but it gives you pause.

We're actually really hoping that tomorrow's oldass farmhouse shakes out nicely.

Here, you may now gawk:

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/fsba,fsbo,fore_lt/house,land_type/29712250_zpid/2-_beds/1-_baths/75000-250000_price/268-892_mp/any_days/1000-_size/globalrelevanceex_sort/42.761129,-73.886319,42.626633,-74.224148_rect/11_zm/0_mmm/
  • That's one hella porch. Seems like it would be cold, though...
  • TWENTY THREE ACRES! Holy cow, Pete!
  • That house is pretty cool. LOTS of Land. You'd be hosting all the get together and we could just camp in the yard :-p
  • I have definitely been in the DC/Northern Virginia area for too long. Down here, a one bedroom condo would cost about $500k, with no land at all.

I need to seriously consider moving back to Upstate New York eventually.
  • Cremlian said:

That house is pretty cool. LOTS of Land. You'd be hosting all the get together and we could just camp in the yard :-p

If we get it, I have this grandiose idea to get people together, fell trees, and build a meadhall. All the hosting capacity ever.

• If you have a long gathering to actually fell trees and build a mead hall in a traditional style...

well, you have my axe.
  • Rym said:

If you have a long gathering to actually fell trees and build a mead hall in a traditional style...

well, you have my axe.

You have my whatever I've got, if it's summer.
  • But seriously, if that house is in good shape, we are SO putting in an offer.
  • Nuri said:

But seriously, if that house is in good shape, we are SO putting in an offer.

Excite

• Man it will be really hard to buy the 22 1/2 more acres I'll need to get to maintain my Most Landed Crew award, I need that for end of the game points :-(
  • edited February 2016
    Cremlian said:

Man it will be really hard to buy the 22 1/2 more acres I'll need to get to maintain my Most Landed Crew award, I need that for end of the game points :-(

Don't worry. They'll never be able to afford enough fences to use all that.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Apreche said:

Cremlian said:

Man it will be really hard to buy the 22 1/2 more acres I'll need to get to maintain my Most Landed Crew award, I need that for end of the game points :-(

Don't worry. They'll never be able to afford enough fences to use all that.
    Oh, I have this covered. We're going to grow hazel and willow and make wattle fences.
  • edited February 2016
    When I hear "I am going to buy a 24 acre property for $200k" my immediate response is "where is this magical place, and can you actually get Internet there?"
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Matt said:

When I hear "I am going to buy a 24 acre property for $200k" my immediate response is "where is this magical place, and can you actually get Internet there?"

This is actually a substantial concern; one of the things we are going to check for is the internet options available. The price is actually pretty typical for the area though... it's like 40 minutes from Albany proper.