This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

House Hunting

Comments

• I gotta give you both a thousand points for handling your house purchase like total pros.
  • edited February 2016
    Matt said:

When I hear "I am going to buy a 24 acre property for $200k" my immediate response is "where is this magical place, and can you actually get Internet there?"

Figuring it out will involve irritating calls to Verizon and Time Warner. The property itself is in two different ZIP codes: 12053 and 12009. According to Verizon, 12009 has FiOS; 12053 doesn't.

Also, there are certain downsides to living that far out in the country. Propane heat is one of those. Also, a driven well and a septic system. No town services at all. Pretty sure there's no trash pickup either, but there's a transfer station.

Propane heat can be offset by using the two woodstoves. So if you're willing to split wood from your magical 24ish acres, you can save money.

I'm thinking about getting one of those Leveraxe things if we go forward with this - make my firewood splitting more efficient.

Also, the house was built in 1726, so who the fuck knows what could be wrong with it. Good thing I'm friends with the president of the Historic Preservation Trades Network, and good thing his specialty is restoration of colonial and pre-colonial timber-framed Dutch architecture.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Watch out for knob and tube electrical. That shit will kill you.
  • Rym said:

Watch out for knob and tube electrical. That shit will kill you.

There's a time and place for Knob and Tube electrical. And that is 1900s America, replace that shit.
  • Just a warning, just because they say they have Fios in that Zip code doesn't mean it's anywhere near your actual place!
  • Well, the confusion is more that it's in two ZIP codes, one that has it and one that doesn't. But yeah, it'd be a site visit to figure out what's available.

Electrical is high on the list of upgrades if needed. I've seen what appear to be GFCI outlets in some photos, which tells me the electric has had some kind of upgrade. Dunno what. That's what electricians are for.
  • Be wary. You can hack GFCI into all manner of garbage. It's a local subsystem. It could very well be a K&T feeding those outlets.

The GFCI could also be fake. I've seen that in the real world.
  • edited February 2016
    I am well aware of the problem and have been looking for janky wiring in every house. I also know that inspections won't find everything. It's a risk, but all houses involve risks.
  • Anthony is moving in this week, and I was entertaining myself by looking at nearby apartments. No matter what, I would have to give something up... I either lose thick walls, parking, or a walkable neighborhood (which is the only downside of my current place, but it does give me easy access to a wooded trail and a park). Suburb problems.

Honestly, the fact that I live in one of the only Philly suburbs where a walkable apartment is even a possibility is remarkable in itself. I'm not in a hurry, but now it's in the back of my mind.

Or convince me to buy instead of rent, and abandon walking entirely.

Current apartment
    Walkable building 1
    Walkable building 2
  • Just choose the option where the negative is a higher price, and all the other problems go away.
  • Apreche said:

Just choose the option where the negative is a higher price, and all the other problems go away.

That might not exist outside of New York, maybe Boston.
  • I know a lot of people who live in Philly and bike/walk/bus everywhere. He's talking about suburbia living :-p
  • Apreche said:

Just choose the option where the negative is a higher price, and all the other problems go away.

We can only afford so much of a monthly payment, but for real... we may end up going with a smaller lot (.4 acres or so) and a house that just works. There are two like that we are seriously considering right now.

So... our old farmhouse was in decent condition but has one big flaw. We thought TWC had service there. Turns out they only currently run to the end of the road, and the people living there now only have satellite. If we can't get decent high speed internet, it's a non-starter.
  • Nuri said:

Apreche said:

We can only afford so much of a monthly payment, but for real... we may end up going with a smaller lot (.4 acres or so) and a house that just works. There are two like that we are seriously considering right now.

So... our old farmhouse was in decent condition but has one big flaw. We thought TWC had service there. Turns out they only currently run to the end of the road, and the people living there now only have satellite. If we can't get decent high speed internet, it's a non-starter.
    I was making the "pay money" suggestion to @pence
  • You know what's wicked fucking bullshit?

So useful Internet service stops about 3k feet from this house - hence satellite. Time Warner has no site survey for the place, because nobody's ever tried to order service there.

So I call up TW and I'm like, "Listen, I don't want a quote or an estimate or anything binding - just ballpark how much it'd cost to run 3k feet of cable and hook up a house."

They won't even talk about it. Not at all.

So I have to buy the fucking house just to figure out if it's even possible.

This is as important and essential as a utility, and apparently I can't figure out anything about the cost until I'm actually there. How fucked up is that?

Fuck living in the country.
  • It's like that in suburban areas too. Lots of Beacon didn't have access to broadband. Same with a lot of commuter towns for NYC.
  • Fuck living in the country.

• Really, it's just that Time Warner won't even tell me if they can run the damn cable. I'm totally willing to throw fuckloads of money at them to make it happen - they just need to tell me I need to do it before I throw fuckloads of money at the house.

3 thousand fucking feet away is, like, FiOS. I am not in some untamed jungle in sub-Saharan Africa for fucks's sake.
  • edited February 2016
    Even a crappy fiber optic cable with just a few threads could cost like, $0.50 per foot to lay down. Just the physical cable could cost over $1500. that doesn't count the labor, the digging, the extra equipment on both ends, the future maintenance costs, etc. They will literally NEVER profit from you. It's not even worth it to them to think about it for one customer.

In New York City, they won't even consider wiring up an entire apartment building which has FIOS already running into it unless a very large % of the tenants in the building contractually commit to signing up for it.

Fighting a TELCO is the most losing battle possible. You're just fucked. Don't waste precious time in your life on that nonsense.

Your best bet is to think of a different solution. For example, buy all the 3000' of land between you and the FIOS. Get the FIOS installed in a small shed. Then run your own outdoor ethernet cable back to your house.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Or check cell signal. My mom's house Internet is LTE. No one will ever run cables out there.
  • Apreche said:

Your best bet is to think of a different solution. For example, buy all the 3000' of land between you and the FIOS. Get the FIOS installed in a small shed. Then run your own outdoor ethernet cable back to your house.

The longest you can run an Ethernet cable is around 300'. So you're about ten times too far out for that...

• He's talking about running your own fiber :-p
  • edited February 2016
    Cremlian said:

He's talking about running your own fiber :-p

You could run copper. You would just need some equipment on either end that Isn't just regular old Ethernet cards. I think copper prices are still high these days. Fiber might be cheaper, even if the equipment on the ends of it is more expensive.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Cremlian said:

The media converters alone will cost you even more than the cable most likely. Fiber ain't cheap.

Also, laying/pulling/terminating it is super hard, requiring specialized equipment.

http://ecmweb.com/content/setting-your-fiber-optic-cable-pull
  • Rym said:

Cremlian said:

The media converters alone will cost you even more than the cable most likely. Fiber ain't cheap.

Also, laying/pulling/terminating it is super hard, requiring specialized equipment.

http://ecmweb.com/content/setting-your-fiber-optic-cable-pull
    Obviously you hire a contractor to run it for you, but not the phone company itself.
  • edited February 2016
    The...the phone company hires the same contractors you would.

For less money, because they provide steady work.

You think they have Joe Schmo lineman dig and lay that fiber?
  • The...the phone company hires the same contractors you would.

For less money, because they provide steady work.

You think they have Joe Schmo lineman dig and lay that fiber?

Sure, but that contractor is very happy to lay cable just about anywhere. If the phone company doesn't want to hire them, though, you can always get them to do it yourself. They'll probably do an even better job if their relationship is with you and not the evil telco.
  • Short of regulation requiring the telco/ISP to provide you service, they will never in a million years run cable anywhere there isn't guaranteed profit.
  • Do you have a hunting licence? That should be a priority if you get the hose with 23 acres.

That lot is shaped kind of weird shape. You may want to see who owns the land behind you.
  • The house with 23 acres accepted an offer. The day after we saw it. Our agent is pissed they didn't tell us they had an offer. We wasted our time.

Anyway, now we have 2 really good options in Glenville... a couple acres each. We're going to see them tomorrow.