This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Guns!

Comments

• I think the Shotgun DVD outtakes are hilarious.

• I think the Shotgun DVD outtakes are hilarious.
    You are Correct, sir.

Also, random out of context frames make for some amusing ones -
  • This whole pony thing has gotten way out of hand. Ya'll motherfuckers done messed up.
  • This whole pony thing has gotten way out of hand. Ya'll motherfuckers done messed up.
    It's obvious that it has gone too far. I've just decided not to fight it. It's easier that way. It will pass with time.
  • It's obvious that it has gone too far. I've just decided not to fight it. It's easier that way. It will pass with time.
    I'm glad at least someone admits it.
  • Oh my god! That poor Enfield. :'(
  • Oh my god! That poor Enfield. :'(
    It's 20% cooler now.
  • And 100% worthless.
  • I hate to say it, but they did do a pretty decent job on the paint itself. Doesn't mean that I'm fond of it, but I'll give credit to a good job when I see it.
  • YOU'VE GOT HOOVES! HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU USE THAT RIFLE?

/d6

/d6
    Second best danger die.
  • edited September 2011
    This whole pony thing has gotten way out of hand. Ya'll motherfuckers done messed up.
    I have to admit it would be totally cool if it weren't an antique stock. Like, if it were a replacement stock and he still had the original stock he hasn't ruined the gun. Changing the stocks on rifles is not very hard.
    Post edited by panfriedmarmot on
  • Boo-yah: Have procured a Glock 17 with night sights

Fail: Foolishly bought two non-Glock magazines to go with it. Will not make this mistake again.

/d6
    Second best danger die.
    With the magic of friendship, because even robot unicorns can have friends.

But yeah, that danger die had nothing on the (titanium?) bees.
  • But yeah, that danger die had nothing on the (titanium?) bees.
    No, the best danger die ever was the cross wind.
  • Have finished my AR15 build as well as procured a Mini-14. ^_^
  • as well as procured a Mini-14.
    I really want one of those but don't they have issues with really thin barrels?
  • I really want one of those but don't they have issues with really thin barrels?
    Yes they do, but they're so fun to shoot. Also they're wicked reliable. For example, I took mine right to the range and started shooting it. Despite having no lubrication it never once suffered a malfunction.
  • I really want one of those but don't they have issues with really thin barrels?
    Yes they do, but they're so fun to shoot. Also they're wicked reliable. For example, I took mine right to the range and started shooting it. Despite having no lubrication it never once suffered a malfunction.
    Oh wow I was afraid the barrel would start to warp or something. How much did that run you?
  • Oh wow I was afraid the barrel would start to warp or something. How much did that run you?
    Nah, the thin barrel just makes it inaccurate when it gets hot. And you can get any number of different barrels if you want.
  • I think the Mini-14 has surpassed the AK and the AR15 as my favorite assault rifle.
  • I think the Mini-14 has surpassed the AK and the AR15 as my favorite assault rifle.
    Oh?
  • I fired all three guns this weekend and here are my thoughts

AR15: With a full length stock and a 20" barrel this is by far the largest of the three. Also, it's match grade heavy profile barrel makes it the heaviest without bullets. This makes it the most suited to reaching and touching someone at 200 yards and at the 100 yard range the AR15 target had the most hits. Also the weight plus the design (stock directly in line with the action) make it most controllable weapon. However, I've never had to clean an AR before and nor have I ever used one with a chrome bolt. This thing gets dirty and the chrome bolt makes this very apparent. If I was ever in a situation where I couldn't clean my gun on a regular basis, this would not be my first choice or even second. Also, the stainless steel barrel I opted for means it's going to be picky about the ammo it likes, steel cased bullets are out of the question. And, just to get everything out there, AR mags are pretty shitty as combat weapons go. Aluminum is great for saving weight, but when the feed lips get tweaked (and they will cause they're aluminum) then you're screwed. And clearing a jam in an AR at the range is a pain, doing it in a tactical situation must be god damn impossible. Really that charging handle is just crap, I hope to never be in a situation where I have to operate it under duress. You can't operate the bolt with the gun in a firing position against your shoulder. At the end of the day, this is just a target rifle for me. It's shiny steel barrel makes it a poor choice in any kind of tactical situation. I'll probably be a lot happier with it when I slap a scope on it cause it shoots a lot better than I can see with iron sights.

AK: Where the AR is a surgical scalpel, the AK is a machete. While I have an immense respect for the complete reliability of this weapon, there's lots of things I don't like about it. It's build quality is very eh. Everything that needs to be there for it to function correctly works, but cosmetically it's blah. Plywood furniture is not so nice, and the front hand guard really needs to be thicker or have some kind of shielding cause it can get very hot. Probably my biggest problem with the AK is it's round. I find 7.62x39mm really harsh to shoot, and a fully loaded AK mag is a fucking brick. I'm pretty sure with fully loaded 30 round mag it's heavier than my heavy barrel AR15 with a 30 round mag. And then there's the lack of bolt hold open to tell you're empty. Also a pain if you ever had to clear a jam, but AKs don't jam, they just have a dud round occasionally, which is easy to clear. And I'll only briefly mention it's not a long range weapon.

Mini-14: This is an interesting gun, being a Ruger made mini M-14. For a start the Ruger manufacturing means it's a quality firearm. A hard wood stock with a nice finish as opposed to unfinished plywood. Everything has perfect fit and finish. And then there's the fantastic Garand action. As opposed to the AR-15, the bolt is easy to manipulate, and easy to hold open. Open the bolt and drop mag and you can see straight through the gun, so if a round jams it's easier to get out. And the mags are steel so they're more durable than AR mags. Fully loaded it's the lightest of the three guns by about a pound and it's only slightly longer than the AK. It's chambered in .223/5.56 so it's much smoother to shoot. And it'll eat anything you put in it, 5.56 NATO, .223 Rem, brass cases or steel cases. Really the only problem is the accuracy isn't stellar, but even then it can still mess up someone's day out at 100 yards so it's good enough. I could fix that, but then it wouldn't be at light so I don't know.

TL/DR
    The AR is great when it works. The AK is great because it works. The Mini-14 just works.
  • I really want a Mini-14 since it's just a mini M-14 but its so damn expensive. Aren't they like $700 most places?
  • I got mine used to $600, but yeah, they're pricey for what they are. :(
  • I'm a fan of old Mosins. They're reasonably accurate, and very easy to disassemble and clean. I'd really like to get better with handguns, though.
  • I want that damn black powder rifle that Phil had. Goddamn that thing was a joy to fire.
  • I'm a fan of old Mosins. They're reasonably accurate, and very easy to disassemble and clean. I'd really like to get better with handguns, though.
    They're also cheap, and they'll usually fire any appropriately sized round you put through them without trouble. You have to be careful, though, you can get some real dogs when shopping for old Mosins.
  • I'd really like a Kel Tec SU-16 variant if I'm going to spend that kind of money. Or a PLR-16 "pistol". Actually I want pretty much everything they make.
  • They're also cheap, and they'll usually fire any appropriately sized round you put through them without trouble. You have to be careful, though, you can get some real dogs when shopping for old Mosins.
    True, true, and true. Back in high school, there was some local sporting goods store that was selling them for around $80 for about two months. Get more than three people lined up at a range and it sounds like the battle of Stalingrad.

They do tend to get REALLY FUCKING HOT, though. And the old joke about using a 2x4 to cycle the rounds might be more true than not...