This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Guns!

Comments

• I like the look of the Kel Tec PF-9, and it seems in your price range and style, but I've never used one personally.
  • This guy likes it.

It's more of a carry gun than a go-to-war gun, but maybe that's more what you're looking for.
  • I agree with pretty much everything George said, but I will add one bit, which is that the Glock 17 isn't for everyone, I personally find them a little but uncomfortable to shoot - try one out before you buy one, to see if it's right for you.
  • I've definitely fired the G17 quite a bit before, but even used they're not really in my range. Everyone around here likes Glocks (some just for the name) so that drives price up.

Interestingly enough I put this gun on layaway tonight, pending the gun shop's owner being in so I can talk price. I love the Hi-Power design but completely hate their prices (usually) so if I can get him to drop the price a tad I'd be alright laying down the rest of the money.

It should be a pretty fun range gun, with a decent set of history behind it. Plus if I ever do need to carry, it's small enough for it to be a decent carry gun.

So, as usual, I did a huge amount of careful research and asked those whose opinions I respected for their opinions... then considered those, and ignored it and went with something else.
  • edited November 2011
    The FM detective? Nice choice. I'll warn you - at least on the Hi-power, which I have much more experience with, but if the design is as based on that as it looks, it will carry over - the trigger can be a little odd, you need to either fix it or get used to it, but I suggest the latter, since the former can be pricey.

You'll also want to file down the hammer a little - by the look of it, one thing it's going to share with the Hi-Power is that it'll hammer-bite like a motherfucker.

As for the prices on hi-powers? Jesus fuck, you're not wrong. My wallet hurts just looking at them, and I'm not even in a country where I can buy one without an insane amount of effort anymore. I would have suggested one along with the Glock and the CZ75(the design of which is partially based on the Hi-power, which we all know by now that I'm quite fond of), but frankly if you get one that's two hundred bucks more than you've budgeted for, then you're still in the territory of lottery-winning kind of luck.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • It should be a pretty fun range gun, with a decent set of history behind it. Plus if I ever do need to carry, it's small enough for it to be a decent carry gun.
    Don't kid yourself, that thing is a brick of a gun. It's 2 pounds before you even put bullets in it.
    As for the prices on hi-powers? Jesus fuck, you're not wrong. My wallet hurts just looking at them, and I'm not even in a country where I can buy one without an insane amount of effort anymore. I would have suggested one along with the Glock and the CZ75(the design of which is partially based on the Hi-power, which we all know by now that I'm quite fond of), but frankly if you get one that's two hundred bucks more than you've budgeted for, then you're still in the territory of lottery-winning kind of luck.
    So the story of me buying my Glock is I was at a gun show looking for a Hi-Power. I saw one that was super beat that they wanted $550 for. A couple tables over I found a used LE Glock 17 for $400. Realized I was out of my mind looking for a cheap Hi-Power and bought the Glock instead.
  • edited November 2011
    Realized I was out of my mind looking for a cheap Hi-Power and bought the Glock instead.
    I would argue you were not out of your mind looking for one, but rather out of your mind if you actually expected to find one.

Post edited by Churba on
  • edited November 2011
    I discovered the reason my AKM has no finish on it is because the chemicals they used to strip the cosmoline off also took the finish off with it. So I've spent half the day refinishing the wood furniture. I just applied the second coat of stain and I'm surprised at how good it looks. Really looking forward to tomorrow morning when everything is dry so I can apply the polyurethane. ^_^
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I discovered the reason my AKM has no finish on it is because the chemicals they used to strip the cosmoline off also took the finish off with it. So I've spent half the day refinishing the wood furniture. I just applied the second coat of stain and I'm surprised at how good it looks. Really looking forward to tomorrow morning when everything is dry so I can apply the polyurethane. ^_^
    Yeah, a nice refinishing makes those things look incredible. I used to have a couple of Mosin Nagants that I refinished (blasphemy, I know) and they looked incredible after some decent work.

• I discovered the reason my AKM has no finish on it is because the chemicals they used to strip the cosmoline off also took the finish off with it. So I've spent half the day refinishing the wood furniture. I just applied the second coat of stain and I'm surprised at how good it looks. Really looking forward to tomorrow morning when everything is dry so I can apply the polyurethane. ^_^
    Yeah, a nice refinishing makes those things look incredible. I used to have a couple of Mosin Nagants that I refinished (blasphemy, I know) and they looked incredible after some decent work.
    The problem is mostly that it looked like such ass when I got it. I mean there's still cosmoline all over the gun, in the sights and in all the corners on the barrel. The action is fairly clean, but they didn't do a very thorough job de gunking the gun.
  • ARGH, woke up this morning and everything was covered with frost. >_<
    The problem is mostly that it looked like such ass when I got it. I mean there's still cosmoline all over the gun, in the sights and in all the corners on the barrel. The action is fairly clean, but they didn't do a very thorough job de gunking the gun.
    That's gonna be a pain in the ass. You'll be finding bits for months.
  • First coat of polyurethane, looking very nice now. ^_^
  • It does. Are you going to try to fix that pitting at all, or leave it?
  • It does. Are you going to try to fix that pitting at all, or leave it?
    If you mean make it silky smooth, no not really going for that. I'm just trying to get it back the way it was originally. AK's came varnished to make them durable. Well in the Western world varnish is illegal so I'm using polyurethane. I've done 2 coats now and I'm probably done for the time being. I might resume this project in the summer when it's warm again and the paint will dry quickly. For now it's good enough and the gun longer looks like ass.
  • Well, in the Western world varnish is illegal so I'm using polyurethane.
    How do you mean illegal? Are there gunlaws against putting varnish on your gun?

• edited November 2011
    Well, in the Western world varnish is illegal so I'm using polyurethane.
    How do you mean illegal? Are there gunlaws against putting varnish on your gun?
    No, varnish is illegal period. It's super toxic and has been outlawed for some time, much like lead based paint.

EDIT: Or I might be thinking of lacquer. Anyway, the stuff they used to use it illegal these days, and polyurethane works better anyway.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • No, varnish is illegal period. It's super toxic and has been outlawed for some time, much like lead based paint.

EDIT: Or I might be thinking of lacquer. Anyway, the stuff they used to use it illegal these days, and polyurethane works better anyway.
    I did some wikipedia-ing, and varnish is a term used for any paint which is clear and designed (primarily) to protect wood (and wood like materials).

Lacquer is a paint which is clear (matte or glossy), and becomes a hard outer layer. Some nail polishes are lacquer. The specific kinds of lacquer you're talking about are probably Nitrocellulose lacquers.
  • edited November 2011
    Nice varnish.
    Needs some lead based paint though.
    Post edited by Casa Vino on
  • I like that lighter finish, compared to the colour of the grip. Looks good.
  • I really enjoy the floral print sofa. It brings out the rifle's feminine qualities. =P
  • edited November 2011
    What kind of flash suppressor is that? It looks out of place for some reason...
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • What kind of flash suppressor is that? It looks out of place for some reason...
    It's a M16 A1 style suppressor. The slant compensator it came with does nothing useful and the AK74 is large and heavy. I chose the A1 suppressor cause it's light weight and short.

• edited November 2011
    Actually, I have to go with Andrew on that one. It is kinda funny lookin'. I mean, it's entirely subjective I know, and you do what you like with your own firearms, but still. Funny lookin'.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • It's functional, not really concerned with the appearance.
  • After you just spent 10ish posts explaining how you re-varnished the wood?
  • I dunno what's wrong with you guys. I think it looks real nice.
  • After you just spent 10ish posts explaining how you re-varnished the wood?
    The wood needed protection so it would last. >_<