This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2012 Presidential Election

Comments

• There's a big difference between "this person should be forbidden from holding office for belief X" and "I will not support this person due to their holding belief X".
  • Yeah I realize that, but it is basically "You're either Christian or you're not president".
  • Yeah I realize that, but it is basically "You're either Christian or you're not president".
    I was responding more to Dragonmaster Lou than to you, really. Still, based on this, that's not entirely true. At the very least, it seems like most Americans would be OK with a Jewish president.
  • Ah gotcha, that article kinda surprised me. Something makes me think people are being less honest than they are letting on? Really I'm curious now why there hasn't been anything but a Christian president given those statistics.
  • edited July 2012
    National political public figures don't deserve much privacy in my opinion.
    I agree in some respects and disagree in others, but in this instance, privacy wasn't really my concern. It's this strange idea we're indulging in that assumes only guilt can reside behind closed doors. That's a dangerous idea that America has always resisted.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • There's a big difference between "this person should be forbidden from holding office for belief X" and "I will not support this person due to their holding belief X".
    Oh, definitely. However, I see this BS leveled against atheists, Muslims, and basically anyone who isn't Christian or at least Judeo-Christian, and I just believe in a level playing field for all, as intended by the Framers. That said, if someone is a Mormon (for example) who holds eminently reasonable political beliefs independent of his religious beliefs and at least convincingly makes the case that his/her Mormon beliefs are not going to have excessive influence on his decisions as President a la JFK and his Catholicism, then I wouldn't disqualify said person from consideration simply for being a Mormon.
  • edited July 2012
    Yeah I realize that, but it is basically "You're either Christian or you're not president".
    I was responding more to Dragonmaster Lou than to you, really. Still, based on this, that's not entirely true. At the very least, it seems like most Americans would be OK with a Jewish president.
    Most Americans would be OK with a Jewish president until one gets elected. Then, when he or she takes all of the Christmas trees out of the White House, stops the Christmas Eve address to the nation, and you know... maybe tries to uphold the separation of church (non-Christianity) and state, people start to go apeshit.

Edited to add: I guess my general point is that while most people wouldn't be against a Jewish President in theory , especially compared to an Atheist, Muslim, Scientologist, or a Sith lord, if one actually got elected, it would be a lot different.

Post edited by jabrams007 on
  • I like the last reason best. His campaign is really not in the game. It's not Obama v Romney, it's Obama v Not-Obama.
    He needs to take the kiddie gloves off and start blasting Obama like he did Newt and Rick Santorum.
  • I like the last reason best. His campaign is really not in the game. It's not Obama v Romney, it's Obama v Not-Obama.
    He needs to take the kiddie gloves off and start blasting Obama like he did Newt and Rick Santorum.
    I guess you haven't heard Sununu's little hate filled tirade saying Obama should learn how to be American and Bachmann saying the administration has been infiltrated by the Muslim Brotherhood.

You know Romney's hurting if the crazies have been released.
  • Romney's finally punching back though. He gave a speech and he was passionate about the fact that Obama is belittling business owners of any size. I think he finally got ticked off enough to get fired up.
  • Romney's finally punching back though. He gave a speech and he was passionate about the fact that Obama is belittling business owners of any size. I think he finally got ticked off enough to get fired up.
    Obama never belittled business owners. He simply said nobody becomes successful completely on their own. He also mentioned that business owners need those bridges and roads that government builds. He basically made the same argument Scott frequently makes.
  • edited July 2012
    All these old, mostly-white Christian dudes sound the same to me. I want a lesbian, half-Israeli, half-Palestinian, atheist president.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • All these old, mostly-white Christian dudes sound the same to me. I want a lesbian, half-Israeli, half-Palestinian, atheist president.
  • All these old, mostly-white Christian dudes sound the same to me. I want a lesbian, half-Israeli, half-Palestinian, atheist president.
    You forgot 'hot' in there. I think most women and male homosexuals would tell you that there hasn't really been a hot president. Obama maaaaaaaaaaaaybe, but that's still debatable.
  • Not hot.
  • edited July 2012
    Lincoln?
    This list has some other suggestions, though it does seem that Nine isn't wrong.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • JFK
    Not hot.
    Marilyn Monroe would beg to differ.
    Lincoln?
    He was popular with the ladies, but he was awkward around them. He was also possibly gay, but that's a long story.

Ronald Reagan in his youth, as a movie star, could probably have been considered hot, but it's debatable whether he was when he became president. He certainly did have a distinguished look to him, though.

Theodore Roosevelt was also a pretty good looking man, IMHO. It helps being young, though, like JFK.

• edited July 2012
    I said "really hot" for a reason folks. Being charming doesn't make one really hot.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • I said "really hot" for a reason folks. Being charming doesn't make one really hot.
    Actually, you didn't say "really hot"
  • edited July 2012
    JFK wasn't hot? I beg to differ, sir.

EDIT: Wanted to add this.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Hillary Clinton
  • http://www.isidewith.com/

My cousin just sent this to me. It can be very telling, as I agree with Barack Obama 55% on the issues presented, though I was still closer to Mitt Romney. I also like the "pick another stance" option, as the issues are indeed usually too complex to answer "yes" or "no." Go ahead and take it.

imageimage
  • I said "really hot" for a reason folks. Being charming doesn't make one really hot.
    Actually, you didn't say "really hot"
    Stop trying to imitate Mr. Period, you fraud.
  • edited July 2012
    Yeah, the "pick another stance" option is pretty well-done. When I looked for my stance I could always find it there. Satisfied with this quiz.

Post edited by Sail on
  • I'm apparently Green Party-like? I doubt that. But whatevs.
  • I'm surprised it matched me so much with Obama. I'm far more left-wing than him.

• I also like the "pick another stance" option, as the issues are indeed usually too complex to answer "yes" or "no." Go ahead and take it.
    The most amusing Pick another stance was for "Do you support the legalisation of ALL drugs?" with the answers being yes, no, and "Yes, but not all drugs."

So...that's a "No" then?

But anyway, hardly surprising.
  • I also like the "pick another stance" option, as the issues are indeed usually too complex to answer "yes" or "no." Go ahead and take it.
    The most amusing Pick another stance was for "Do you support the legalisation of ALL drugs?" with the answers being yes, no, and "Yes, but not all drugs."
    I can't find that question... only one about marijuana.