This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110831 - Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Comments

• Final thoughts episode is happening tomorrow night.
    Wow, that's a first. A final thoughts episode, I mean.
  • Yeah... Sailor Moon was more of a sentai show with a magical girl gloss IMO.
    Now you're being pedantic, sir.
  • I say that as well with Escaflowne or Bebop.
    Both of which are significantly better shows than Madoka.
    And don't call for Final Thoughts the way that Madoka does. What are you going to say about Bebop? It's Bebop, the ending is perfect like the rest of the show. Nothing more to say.
  • Starting at the end of the month, you can get the soul gem of your choice for $250. That's actually relatively cheap for a middle school girls soul.
  • Starting at the end of the month, you can get the soul gem of your choice for $250. That's actually relatively cheap for a middle school girls soul.
    Who the fuck buys this shit? How is it economical to make these, but not economical to make accurate ponies?
    Who the fuck buys this shit? How is it economical to make these, but not economical to make accurate ponies?
    Otaku will by anything.

Plus, from what I've been lead to believe, it's largely not.
    If my life has been any yard stick (and knowing my luck it is) Life, much like being a magical girl, is specifically tailored to be suffering.
  • I did not cry once during Madoka, I mostly just laughed.
  • I did both. I cried during episode 10, but at the same time, whenever her shield spun, I said "It's the mind" and "LET'S DO THE TIME WARP AGAIN!"
  • but not economical to make accurate ponies?
    Accurate ponies? You realize that there are no 'accurate' ponies in MLP, just humanoid faces on 4 legged bodies.
  • He means accurate to the show, not accurate to actual ponies. The current pony toys are still 3d Generation models. They need to be updated to match the style of the new show.
  • edited September 2011
    Whoa. Just finished up Magica last night. Where did this show come from? Its Fan-fuckiong-tastic!

So about this show is just amazing. The witch battles are pure genius and a visual treat.

The end, THE END fucking makes sense and is a beautiful ending. You know Bokurano? How you never find about who the masterminds are? How its a personal story about those kids, and not about the bigger picture? Maybe you don't WANT to know about the Cowboy Beebop gate disaster?

Well Fuck you, because I like my stories all wrapped up in a nice neat ribbon at the end and Majika does this SO WELL, they pull off and ending on the scale of Eva (This has to be main similarity right? Fate the the universe stuff???) and it WORKS. It makes sense and it makes you feel so good having watched it and knowing what that ending is.

Episode 10 (or 11? its a bit of a blur) the one where the time traveling magi keep looping around and around is possibly one of the single best episodes of any anime I have ever seen.

For me, THIS is an A+ anime. PURE AWESOME.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • I said "It's the mind" and "LET'S DO THE TIME WARP AGAIN!"
    I was thinking more about Next than Groundhog Day during that episode, and when I think of Next my next jump in logic is the Wicker Man. I was really just thinking about "OH GOD, NOT THE BEES".

Also, Kyubey is an evil alien oil tycoon.
  • edited September 2011
    He means accurate to the show
    And they were. Till some crazy woman decided to change the design of the ponies.
    Where did this show come from?
    Japan, like every other anime. There was enough lights going on and off indicating that it was going to be a good show well before it started. You just haven't been paying any attention.
    Fate the the universe stuff?
    Evangelion doesn't deal with the universe, just humanity. Arguably our extinction is the end of the universe, sure, but then again, so is your death to you.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • He means accurate to the show
    And they were. Till some crazy woman decided to change the design of the ponies.
    Yes, but half the show is in the animation. If the show was the same script, same voices, etc. except the animation was in the crappy '80s pony style, I would not have watched past the first episode. The previous designs didn't allow themselves to be bent, they tried to exist in the real world. You can't do that with animation. If you try to meet half way between reality (ponies) and fantasy (Ponies) then the designs will be ugly and unwilling to bend, not allowing for some of the best aspects of the show.
  • edited September 2011
    @Air Co. When I said "where did it come from?" you must know I didn't mean which country right?...

I was meaning it more in a Redline way. Like, DAMN, that was actually pretty awesome. I did NOT see that coming. Totally unexpected.

Re: Evangelion - fate of the world, fate of humanity, fate of the universe. Same diff.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • @Air Co. When I said "where did it come from?" you must know I didn't mean which country right?...
    And people wonder why FRC forumites depress me. Incomprehensibly dense, severely lacking in humour and/or just being to fucking stupid to get a joke. Yes, of course I fucking know you didn't mean what country of origin because you appear to have a faint clue as to what an anime is. It was a joke, a humorous quip on the side to make you smile a bit, for god's sake or whatever else you hold holy or dear (like your mom), use that fucking mass between your hearing aids. If you refuse and stubbornly use less you might fucking suffocate for crying out loud! God damn you filthy fucking leeches.
  • edited September 2011
    I think your jokes just need work. Comedians should not blame their audience for the lack of laughter.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited September 2011
    I figure the conversation can continue without the need for spoilers in the final thoughts thread. I feel like responding to Codger there.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I think your jokes just need work. Comedians should not blame their audience for the lack of laughter.
    Problem here is that often it's not the audience that's barging around being annoyingly dumb fucks, and I think the audience is smarter than it really is.
  • Watched the first 3 episodes last night. I haven't been reading too much of what people are posting about it for potential spoilers, but the show isn't bad. Episode 3 wasn't too surprising when people were referring to this show as and adult Sailor Moon.

I'll probably finish it sometime this weekend.

I really like do like the animation of of the faces with the lines and how it looks like it's sketched. I have no other thoughts or theories, but I know to be leery just from the first few minutes of episode 1.

Also the fact that Kyubey doesn't open his mouth when he talks/communicates is downright weird.
  • but I know to be leery just from the first few minutes of episode 1.
    You are wise in the ways of the animoo.
  • Also the fact that Kyubey doesn't open his mouth when he talks/communicates is downright weird.
    And makes me suspect some relation to Hello Kitty. Maybe Kyubey doesn't really have a mouth, and just drew that on with a Sharpie.
  • I just assumed he doesn't talk. He always uses telepathy.
  • Maybe Kyubey doesn't really have a mouth, and just drew that on with a Sharpie.
    He ate himself that one time, so the mouth definitely is functional in some sense.

He also has that other orifice on his back for grief seeds.
  • He also has that other orifice on his back for grief seeds.
    Also, you can see the grief move from soul gems to grief seeds. So grief is definitely a substance, as opposed to just a darkness that is present when another substance is lacking.
  • So grief is definitely a substance, as opposed to just a darkness that is present when another substance is lacking.
    I don't think there's any way to use the powers that doesn't generate grief.

Remember, the absolute key aspect of this show is that hope and grief are literally in perfect balance: one cannot grow without the other doing so in kind.
  • Remember, the absolute key aspect of this show is that hope and grief are literally in perfect balance: one cannot grow without the other doing so in kind.
    Here's how the cycle goes:

Normal girl makes a wish and is transformed into a magical girl by Kyubey. He takes your soul and puts it in a gem. Depending on your wish and your potential you get magic.

As you use the magic you dispense hope, and grief is a side efffect. You also create hope for yourself. Since your soul is a physical thing you can actually see the grief building up in yourself as a balance. It builds up in other people as well, but it isn't visible in a physical artifact.

Eventually you have no hope left. So you turn into a witch. You dispense grief, but hope doesn't build up in you directly. What happens is a magical girl eventually destroys your witch body. The grief seed still is the witch. The witch just can't do anything without a body.

The more grief the witch dispensed the more grief the grief seed can absorb, which is the balance on the other side. All the grief caused by a witch is balanced when a magical girl gets more hope after destroying the witch. The bigger the witch, the more uses of the grief seed.

In the end a full grief seed has all the grief of the original magical girl from the witch plus the grief of the magical girl(s) who defeated it.

Taking that grief out of the world to use as energy on alien space ships would actually make earth really awesome. The problem is that the witches multiply. Magical girls can't asexually reproduce in that way.

It might seem unbalanced towards the witch side, but you forget one thing. The hope from the magical girl's wish is basically a freebie. They start with a clean soul gem Despite dispensing hope with the wish. That balances the extra grief from reproducing witches.
  • It might seem unbalanced towards the witch side, but you forget one thing. The hope from the magical girl's wish is basically a freebie. They start with a clean soul gem Despite dispensing hope with the wish. That balances the extra grief from reproducing witches.
    I imagine every planet is eventually destroyed by the process as well.