This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Kickstarter

Comments

• "We NEED to make millions off of our webcomic property or it's not worth doing."

Meh.
    Is that an actual quote or are you just paraphrasing? Sounds like the polar opposite of everything I read which said if their KS project doesn't fund, the company just continues going forward like normal.

• "We NEED to make millions off of our webcomic property or it's not worth doing."

Meh.
    Is that an actual quote or are you just paraphrasing? Sounds like the polar opposite of everything I read which said if their KS project doesn't fund, the company just continues going forward like normal.

How is that the polar opposite? They're basically saying that if they don't fund through KS, they'll keep ads to get their millions. Either way, millions are not optional. That's what I was saying. That's what they're saying.

Meh.

How is that the polar opposite? They're basically saying that if they don't fund through KS, they'll keep ads to get their millions. Either way, millions are not optional. That's what I was saying. That's what they're saying.
    I give up.

• They'll keep ads to cover their costs you mean? Yeah, but that only makes sense, does it not? Wouldn't you keep your job if you couldn't kickstart a year's worth of having no job?
  • They'll keep ads to cover their costs you mean? Yeah, but that only makes sense, does it not? Wouldn't you keep your job if you couldn't kickstart a year's worth of having no job?
    Well, I was being snarky and wasn't trying to start yet another debate where we define all of our terms and start from first principles and then hold our breath and turn blue, but I'll elaborate again since it seems to entertain:

What I'm saying is that it seems as though a certain very high level of profitability is mandatory for these guys, which is sort of a mediocre rallying cry for patronage. It doesn't sound like they're merely trying to keep the lights on, but maybe they really have a payroll in the millions. What do I know?

Meh.
    I don't think that's exactly what's going on here. I mean they employ like 20 people, plus hosting costs for the comic and all the PATV video, they pay for the production company that does the realty show, Child's Play, 2 PAXs, etc. And yeah they are asking for a lot, but that is what they earn right now from those ads each year.

And apparently Gabe has said that if they go over the remove all ads goal, any additional money would go towards the next year's goal.
    Can't watch the video at work, but it seems to me like they've started wandering in two very, very different directions. They just expanded this media business with PATV and PAR, and now suddenly they want to go uber grassroots and distance themselves from the influence of advertisers? If so, they better have some super-big, insanely groundbreaking opinions they've kept bottled inside.

It's pretty cool that they intend to use Creative Commons, though.
  • edited July 2012
    What I'm saying is that it seems as though a certain very high level of profitability is mandatory for these guys, which is sort of a mediocre rallying cry for patronage. It doesn't sound like they're merely trying to keep the lights on, but maybe they really have a payroll in the millions. What do I know?
    A million per year really isn't very much at all once you're talking about businesses rather than individuals.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Creative Commons + Bringing Sexy (Patronage) Back

is a very compelling combo, no doubt.
  • What I'm saying is that it seems as though a certain very high level of profitability is mandatory for these guys, which is sort of a mediocre rallying cry for patronage. It doesn't sound like they're merely trying to keep the lights on, but maybe they really have a payroll in the millions. What do I know?
    A million per year really isn't very much at all once you're talking about businesses rather than individuals.
    Businesses are just groups of individuals, really. Corporate identity isn't important unless you want big-boy investors to pay attention to you. Do they? I don't know.

All I mean is that slapping the word "business" on a thing doesn't automatically make it necessary that you become a millionaire from the effort.

Anyway all I was saying is that their KS portrays things in an odd light if read in a certain way. I'm not making any accusations or assumptions about their intent, their budget, or anything else.
  • edited July 2012
    Businesses are just groups of individuals, really. Corporate identity isn't important unless you want big-boy investors to pay attention to you. Do they? I don't know.
    Sure; technically, a business can consist of one person.
    However, the main point is that, for example, $500k divided by ten people is $50k per person.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • What I'm saying is that it seems as though a certain very high level of profitability is mandatory for these guys, which is sort of a mediocre rallying cry for patronage. It doesn't sound like they're merely trying to keep the lights on, but maybe they really have a payroll in the millions. What do I know?
    The problem with that statement is that at no point do they state that the ads are there to make significant profit, or that the kickstarter would actually be profitable at any point. There's a very real case of high costs, and a million is actually not crazy sounding to me. Not for what they do.
    The problem with that statement is that at no point do they state that the ads are there to make significant profit, or that the kickstarter would actually be profitable at any point. There's a very real case of high costs, and a million is actually not crazy sounding to me. Not for what they do.
    Fair enough.

Like I said my comment wasn't wholly in earnest anyway, it was a knee-jerk reaction to a first read of the KS page.

Do you guys deconstruct every single post here or just n00bs? :P
  • Every single one.
  • edited July 2012
    All of the above. There's a reason why I have a strap-on. I have only one penis.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Every single one.
    Even ones that aren't a proper sentence, like this one.
  • I'm also curious why they keep throwing around that "makes things" comment. Sounds to me like this is the first step to a much bigger, more ambitious idea (a movie/documentary/another video game). So, if that number sounds bloated, they also want some quick income that allows them to survive as well as expand. Into what, however, they won't seem to say...
  • Just reposting this because it's relevant.

• I was just in the Comic Edit thread and I saw that.
  • I just saw that $2k pledge: Get a 5-year pass for all existing and newly created PAXes (including PAX Dev if you are in-fact, a developer).

Interesting.
  • I just saw that $2k pledge: Get a 5-year pass for all existing and newly created PAXes (including PAX Dev if you are in-fact, a developer).

Interesting.
    I would do it if it was for life.
  • We should tweet that to them to add that as a reward level. They would easily sell out fast.
  • We should tweet that to them to add that as a reward level. They would easily sell out fast.
    Omegathon entry would also sell.
  • Or VIP badge status and not just regular PAX passes, however I would think the $2k level would be VIP badges.
  • 2k is way below VIP status methinks, as little difference as having the VIP badge would probably make in most peoples trip.
  • Perhaps you're right. From what I understand friends and family of PA along with big $$$ donors to Child's Play get VIP badges.
  • If I had a bunch of extra money, I'd throw 2k at all the badges. The dev badges are generally expensive, and that's the only reason I don't go to dev, and if you add that all in and give a little leeway for donation + possible cost increases + unlikely possibility of another con... I can handle that math. I just don't have 2k to throw at it.
  • BTW, Jeremy laughs at the $100k reward, for obvious reasons.
  • I practically guarantee OUYA will fail.
  • edited July 2012
    So, what do people think of the Ouya Videogame Console? Is it another Phantom? Will forcing developers to release demos kill their business model? In the battle of buzzwords, will "openness" conquer "free to play"?

EDIT: Ninja'd by 10 minutes. Damn you, waiting for svn to finish!
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on