This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Kickstarter

Comments

• That's only if he links a FB account to Kickstarter for now, and I recall Rym saying he'll never get on FB.
    Kickstarter should fix that.

• That's only if he links a FB account to Kickstarter for now, and I recall Rym saying he'll never get on FB.
    Kickstarter should fix that.
    They probably will in the future.
  • Kazu Kibuishi want's to reprint Daisy Kutter. If you do not already own them, this is your chance.
    I've made it this far, I want to see how far I can go.

I predict the peak of facebook within two years.

• Kazu Kibuishi want's to reprint Daisy Kutter. If you do not already own them, this is your chance.
    SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
  • edited May 2012
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • John De Lancie in a MLP:FiM Documentary
    I'm very conflicted with this Kickstarter.
  • Whoever it is that pledged $10,000 to it sure isn't, holy shit.
  • There have been like a hundred Brony documentary Kickstaters. The only reasonable option is to donate to none of them.
  • It does seem to be a rather glutted market.
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah, no offense to our resident lovers of that particular show (I'm not going to use the B-word, fuck y'all), but if a subculture is less than a decade old, it probably doesn't need a documentary. There are exceptions, but this isn't one of them.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • It's not "needed" and I wouldn't donate to it, but it's probably going to be pretty cool. Also, if it's well-made and well-considered, it could help some people who have prejudged the show and the community rather negatively to soften their attitudes.
  • Tentacle Bento by Soda Pop.

Internet + ire = game getting pulled.

I currently have mixed feelings about this. The game looks horrible to me. It feels like it's either supposed to be a satire, but done very poorly. Or perhaps, it was basically Soda Pop thinking that they were doing something clever and having it blow up in their faces.

I honestly haven't done a lot of reading into it, so my feelings are still unclear. I think Soda Pop was stupid for even thinking this would be a good idea, but at the same time I think that it being pulled was perhaps hasty. I don't know the exact details or reasoning of why Kickstarter pulled it, but wouldn't mind finding out.
  • edited May 2012
    I wrote a post in defense of Tentacle Bento. I agree that it looks like a dumb game. I also don't fault Kickstarter. They are free to do whatever they want with their site. The reason I felt the need to defend Tentacle Bento was b/c established gaming journalists launched an email protest campaign against the game, simply because it offended them. Simply put, they were acting like bullies.

Post edited by Matt on
  • edited May 2012
    Third Goal, named: WHY SO SERIOUS?

How can you not see the parody and satire just oozing off the thing? The retardation comes when there's still stuff like Smut Peddler actively being funded and LEISURE MOTHERFUCKING SUIT LARRY having been funded without a hitch. IF YOU DO NOT WANT IT, DO NOT FUND (buy) IT, BUT DON'T THINK YOU CAN GO CHOOSING WHAT OTHERS CAN AND CANNOT DO WITH THEIR FUCKING MONEY AND TIME. Not really a surprise from Kotaku though, worthless site.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah, Tentacle Bento looks kind of gross/dumb/ill-conceived/a baby game, but the dudes at Soda Pop Miniatures are cool guys. I'm sorry to see this happen to them. The guys at Kotaku are a bunch of censorist, prudish wankers who obviously can't conceive of a universe in which products they are uncomfortable with get public funding.

Unsubscribed.
    This image is closer to the complaints people have about Tentacle Bento than anything we've thus far seen from the latter.
  • edited May 2012
    Amanda Palmer, a really great pianist and singer (and one half of The Dresden Dolls who is probably better known to most geeks as Neil Gaiman's wife, is Kickstarting her next tour/album/art release. $1 gets you the entire album, so it's pretty hard to go wrong, even if you've never listened to her.

What's particularly cool is that she once gave a talk at Harvard about how she feels that the patronage system is due for a resurgence given the current state of the music industry; she gave this talk back in 2010, years before Kickstarter got huge. Now, she's due to break $1m on a $100k project. It's a really great postscript to a really excellent talk, and I'd encourage you to watch the lecture.

• I put in a $1 for that mostly cause I like this model of funding music. I've only heard of one of AFP songs.
  • Awkward Zombie has a Kickstarter. These webcomics Kickstarters are dangerous.
  • How the hell is Diamond Trust of London not funded yet!?!
  • How the hell is Diamond Trust of London not funded yet!?!
    It's very close, and it's on the front page of KS.
  • As cool as that game looks, it requires to have someone else to have the game to play it, right?

I may pick it up when it gets released at stores.
  • I haven't backed anything in a while but I caved and but down $50 for the board game Ground Floor, a strategy game about building skyscrapers. Tasty Minstrel is a young company that I've been very impressed with (Belfort, Eminent Domain, and Martian Dice).

They announced a stretch goal for $75k that gets you not only Ground Floor, but also a neat looking little dice game called Skyline, which uses custom dice that have sections of buildings on them, and you must stack the dice to make skyscrapers.
  • edited May 2012
    A stacking type game!Nevermind, just saw the demo video. O_O I saw one of my friends back this project, but didn't look at it until now. Looks interesting enough. I'll star it for now and show Jeremy later on.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Kickstarter is taking a lot of my money. I really need to cut back.
  • Hey guys, help my friends make a short film, if you want. Sail is doing the music, so that's cool!
  • edited May 2012
    Maybe I'm just not Rails savvy enough to understand the significance of this, but why the hell does it take $25,000 to write a Rails .app for Mac OS X?

Sounds to me like this is an open source project that a couple of OS X geniuses could knock out in a season.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • I mean, I get what they're trying to do, but rvm and gem really aren't that hard to use.