This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• I'd also seriously consider buying the Steam Controller, though it would have to find a way to be better than my Xbox 360 controller.
    That is simple. Make a d-pad that doesn't suck.

• I'd also seriously consider buying the Steam Controller, though it would have to find a way to be better than my Xbox 360 controller.
    I've heard pretty good things about their "Transforming D-Pad" controller.
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox360/Accessories/Controllers/Xbox360WirelessControllerDPad
  • edited March 2012
    I'd also seriously consider buying the Steam Controller, though it would have to find a way to be better than my Xbox 360 controller.
    I've heard pretty good things about their "Transforming D-Pad" controller.
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox360/Accessories/Controllers/Xbox360WirelessControllerDPad
    I have one of those. It's better than the old one and makes mega man and Castlevania playable, but it's still the worst d-pad of current console generation.
    Edit: Also makes fighting games somewhat playable, when only masochist would use the basic d-pad fuck-up.

Post edited by Apsup on
  • I have one of those. It's better than the old one and makes mega man and Castlevania playable, but it's still the worst d-pad of current console generation.
    Edit: Also makes fighting games somewhat playable, when only masochist would use the basic d-pad fuck-up.
    Yeah, I personally still think the PS3's dualshock is the best (of the current generation), only if by a little. If they made the analog sticks concave like the 360 controllers then it would be the best by a larger margin.
  • I have one of those. It's better than the old one and makes mega man and Castlevania playable, but it's still the worst d-pad of current console generation.
    Yeah, I personally still think the PS3's dualshock is the best (of the current generation), only if by a little. If they made the analog sticks concave like the 360 controllers then it would be the best by a larger margin.
    I have less experience with PS3, controller, but there I'm not fan of the triggers, little bit too much movement space, it takes forever to pull them all the way down. But other than that, the PS3 controller is pretty sweet and the d-pad is more usable than the xbox's controller.

• I've never been a fan of the PS controllers because of the separation of the d-pad buttons. I know it's all one piece underneath, but it just feels wrong. Nothing beats the Nintendo d-pad. It will be a huge day in gaming when that patent finally expires and every company can put d-pads everywhere.

• Also, does the fact that MS, SONY and Nintendo have been extending this console cycle for extra years play into this? Is that what created the weak spot for Valve/Steam and iOS/Android to attack?
    Honestly, I think it's that people are doing less and less research even though the internet is so much more prevalent. I can't tell you how many people I still need to tell that Mario can't be on Xbox or Playstation, or that Kinect is only for Xbox. Just about the only thing people know is they want to play Angry Birds and they want to play it on an iOS device.
  • I've never been a fan of the PS controllers because of the separation of the d-pad buttons. I know it's all one piece underneath, but it just feels wrong. Nothing beats the Nintendo d-pad. It will be a huge day in gaming when that patent finally expires and every company can put d-pads everywhere.
    I do not disagree with the d-pad issue, I just feel that their solution has been the best substitute yet. I prefer how they have it far and away more than the controllers that try at having a d-pad more similar to Nintendo's and fail.
  • It will be a huge day in gaming when that patent finally expires and every company can put d-pads everywhere.
    Isn't that patent already expired? You can recreate NES and SNES consoles without threat of legal action these days.
  • edited March 2012
    Isn't that patent already expired? You can recreate NES and SNES consoles without threat of legal action these days.
    The patents for the consoles and controller are not connected, but the patent for the d-pad (here is the wikipedia page for terms of a patent in the US) did expire in 2005. Those consoles, while I think they are legal as I believe their patents have expired as well, are just clones that often have compatibility issues.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • I lf the patent is expired there is no reason for MS and Sony to not use the dpad other than pride.
  • I lf the patent is expired there is no reason for MS and Sony to not use the dpad other than pride.
    Well that is the US patent and I am not sure of how Europe, Japan, or other places handle that so it may be that they can do it in the US but not elsewhere so they just do it nowhere.
  • edited March 2012
    One of my favorite blogs (Which is actually a Geek-Romance Column) covered the issue pretty well too.

http://www.doctornerdlove.com/2012/02/nerds-male-privilege-3-cross-assault-sexual-harrassment/
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • edited March 2012
    The patents for the consoles and controller are not connected, but the patent for the d-pad (here is the wikipedia page for terms of a patent in the US) did expire in 2005. Those consoles, while I think they are legal as I believe their patents have expired as well, are just clones that often have compatibility issues.
    Yeah, even if the consoles and controllers are separate, there is no way the controller is still under patent. It has been almost 27 years since the NES came out, and patents in the US only last 17 years. At this point, I have to agree with Scott in that MS and Sony really are just too proud to copy it. I can understand Sony since their controller has been around for a long time, but for the Xbox 360, I don't really get it.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • Isn't that patent already expired? You can recreate NES and SNES consoles without threat of legal action these days.
    Yeah, even if the consoles and controllers are separate, there is no way the controller is still under patent. It has been almost 27 years since the NES came out, and patents in the US only last 17 years. At this point, I have to agree with Scott in that MS and Sony really are just too proud to copy it. I can understand Sony since their controller has been around for a long time, but for the Xbox 360, I don't really get it.
    Plus, more to the point, Microsoft has never been too proud to copy things in their life. That's how they exist.
  • edited March 2012
    Last retail game to use the D-Pad for movement?

Also, this Steam console sounds like a beast. I'm more interested in the Onlive-over-LAN style box.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited March 2012
    /edit derp
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited March 2012
    I already have Steam Box. It's called Windows Computer connected to television.
    Also, does the fact that MS, SONY and Nintendo have been extending this console cycle for extra years play into this? Is that what created the weak spot for Valve/Steam and iOS/Android to attack?
    ABSOLUTELY. I have been yelling this for the past year. I'm not as positive about iOS/Android, but the aging of the 360 has most definitely been a major factor in opening the door for PC gaming to rise from the dead.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I already have Steam Box. It's called Windows Computer connected to television.
    Also, does the fact that MS, SONY and Nintendo have been extending this console cycle for extra years play into this? Is that what created the weak spot for Valve/Steam and iOS/Android to attack?
    ABSOLUTELY. I have been yelling this for the past year. I'm not as positive about iOS/Android, but the aging of the 360 has most definitely been a major factor in opening the door for PC gaming to rise from the dead.
    The general populace is still utterly clueless about games(see my post above) but I really do think that hardcore gamers are returning to the PC not because of the hardware but because a lot of studios are basically making AAA games or busting on console, and there has been a major renaissance of indy and niche gaming on PC in the last few years. For God's sake, a developer out of Brazil made a game about Brazillian Stock Car racing(called Game Stock Car) that sim racing fans raved about and now they're making a game about Ayrton Senna.
  • Aaah the NES D-Pad. The inside of my left thumb has been permanently worn down to an almost gel-like substance and is noticeably softer than my right thanks to that D-Pad.
  • I like the SNES D-Pad myself. Need I remind you all of the greatest SNES controller ever.
  • edited March 2012
    I like the SNES D-Pad myself. Need I remind you all of the greatest SNES controller ever.
    You really think that piece of shit is great? I think you mean this.

and this

First party or bust.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I like the SNES D-Pad myself. Need I remind you all of the greatest SNES controller ever.
    You really think that piece of shit is great? I think you mean this.

The NES D-Pad does not have enough gel to conform with the hand properly. Although it is a solid controller the AsciiPad is hands down the best 3rd party controller conforming to the angle of me rocking the L and R button and giving my thumb more pleasure than the pointed edges of the NES.

• Saying "best third party controller" is like saying "least smelly shit."
  • edited March 2012
    I had an AsciiPad. It was, in fact, pretty awesome.

I remember when my brother's dog chewed through the cord... sad days.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • Speaking of which, does anyone know where to get an original SNES controller that is guaranteed to be in good working order? On the Internets all I can find are clones.
  • edited March 2012
    Saying "best third party controller" is like saying "least smelly shit."
    I still say it is better than any first party one as well, outside of the glory of the N64 controller. However (again) the D-Pad was better on the Asciipad than on the N64.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • edited March 2012
    Speaking of which, does anyone know where to get an original SNES controller that is guaranteed to be in good working order? On the Internets all I can find are clones.
    I've always had good luck buying stuff at estarland.com but their SNES controller listing says third party so I would avoid. Might be worth taking yourself a trip downtown to 8 Bit & Up or VideogamesNY.

Post edited by Matt on
  • Speaking of which, does anyone know where to get an original SNES controller that is guaranteed to be in good working order? On the Internets all I can find are clones.
    VideogamesNY.

For the love of pete DO NOT GO THERE! They are notorious in the collector realm for overcharging and bad quality. Go to Digital Press instead.
    VideogamesNY.
    For the love of pete DO NOT GO THERE! They are notorious in the collector realm for overcharging and bad quality. Go to Digital Press instead.
    It's a shithole to be sure, but I recommended it only b/c he's looking and its not far out of the way. It's kind of hard for someone without a car to get very far into NJ (although it is worth it for the Digital Press store). I bought a Sega Master System controller at VideogamesNY once b/c I was in the area and in need, and I haven't had any problems with it.