This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game News and Discussion

Comments

• If Pink Gorilla is going to have a booth at PAX East, they may have some.
  • Game Underground might also have them at their booth at PAX
  • Speaking of which, does anyone know where to get an original SNES controller that is guaranteed to be in good working order? On the Internets all I can find are clones.
    GameGavel should have it.

• edited March 2012
    Post edited by P_TOG on
  • Brian Fargo is beating the drums of Kickstarting for Wasteland 2.

Check out the $50 tier.
  • edited March 2012
    The OST for an alleged Persona 5, and it sounds nothing like the previous games. The characters even look like they might be - and I know this will shock you, this IS a JRPG after all - adults!

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH ALL THESE FEELS.
    Persona 5...eventually...

My body's ready!
    Post edited by Clockian on
  • The only game Scott is more excited about than CS:GO.

• So Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition was announced today despite the website falling victim to a massive friendly DDOS. A graphical update of the first game + its expansion, as well as some new content. It's coming out this summer, and Baldur's Gate 2 is going to be getting the same treatment.

So much want.
  • So Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition was announced today despite the website falling victim to a massive friendly DDOS. A graphical update of the first game + its expansion, as well as some new content. It's coming out this summer, and Baldur's Gate 2 is going to be getting the same treatment.

So much want.
    I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop where they announce they're turning it into a FPS...

So much want.
    I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop where they announce they're turning it into a FPS...
    Many of the original dungeon crawl games were FPS
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonekeep

So much want.
    They were FP. They were not S.

So much want.
    Well, not FPS, but first-person regardless. Also, the possible originator of the first-person dungeon crawl is likely Wizardry. Not 100% sure, but seems about right.

So much want.
    They were FP. They were not S.
    No bows?

• typing "use bow" is a lot different then pointing with your mouse and clicking ;)
  • http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/03/baldurs-gate-iii-is-beamdogs-long-term-goal-could-turn-to-kickstarter-for-funding/

So yeah. Not an FPS. They'll probably just make a third game on the updated Infinity Engine.
  • The Pokemon/Nobunaga game is coming to the US this year. It will be called Pokemon Conquest. It will be for DS, not 3DS. THE BUYING.
  • NYTimes article on the rise of "stupid games"

I honestly can not tell if NYTimes is trying to pull a Gawker with this article. The author lumps Tetris, Angry Birds, Zynga, and virtually every other video game ever created in the same category - "Stupid" without attempting to define something intelligent. The comment section is pretentiously lolworthy as well.
  • edited April 2012
    This article is just...it makes my brain hurt reading it. The author just seems to insult games because he has an addiction problem with them, calling them all stupid and then spends the rest of the article not sure whether to praise games or hate them or what. It's really odd.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • This article is just...it makes my brain hurt reading it. The author just seems to insult games because he has an addiction problem with them, calling them all stupid and then spends the rest of the article not sure whether to praise games or hate them or what. It's really odd.
    I just sort of quickly skimmed it, and I wasn't really sure at all what point the author was trying to make. They also don't really define what a "stupid game" is, which might have helped make whatever point they were trying to make clearer.
  • edited April 2012
    This article is just...it makes my brain hurt reading it. The author just seems to insult games because he has an addiction problem with them, calling them all stupid and then spends the rest of the article not sure whether to praise games or hate them or what. It's really odd.
    I just sort of quickly skimmed it, and I wasn't really sure at all what point the author was trying to make. They also don't really define what a "stupid game" is, which might have helped make whatever point they were trying to make clearer.
    He doesn't define what a stupid game is at all, unless he means all games on portable devices. Every game he calls a stupid game except for Tetris he originally played on his iPhone. The problem, of course, is that many of these games were on computers and consoles either well before the iPhone or at about the same time. It seems like he didn't examine his topic well and did very, very little research. He mentions old consoles like the Gamecube while not mentioning the Wii and refers to games like Battlefield and Call of Duty as big hits in the up to 2005 era. You could argue COD2 because I believe that came out with the Xbox 360 in fall of 2005, but Battlefield didn't hit the mainstream until the Bad Company games.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • edited April 2012
    Harmonix announces Rock Band Blitz. Keeps a straight face when people call it a new game.

It's actually just Amplitude, but you can use any Rock Band songs you purchased. From a business standpoint, it sounds brilliant. If they charge $15 for it, fuck them.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • edited April 2012
    Harmonix announces Rock Band Blitz. Keeps a straight face when people call it a new game.

It's actually just Amplitude, but you can use any Rock Band songs you purchased. From a business standpoint, it sounds brilliant. If they charge $15 for it, fuck them.
    It's actually suspected to be $20 dollars from what I heard, but it's to have 25 New Songs. So basically, you are paying less than a dollar for every new song and all of them are exportable to Rock Band 3. It's a win-win to me in terms of being a Rock Band player.

It's a bit lame that they are recreating the same game with only a few tweaks, but then again, I don't think Amplitude is on any newer consoles. I don't have to worry about playing it on a handheld and I can play it with my controller? I think I will enjoy this new game...

This article is a bit more up-to-date on things: http://www.rockbandaide.com/15809/more-rock-band-blitz-details-including-free-export-to-rock-band-3/
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • Harmonix announces Rock Band Blitz. Keeps a straight face when people call it a new game.

It's actually suspected to be $20 dollars from what I heard, but it's to have 25 New Songs. So basically, you are paying less than a dollar for every new song and all of them are exportable to Rock Band 3. It's a win-win to me in terms of being a Rock Band player.

It's a bit lame that they are recreating the same game with only a few tweaks, but then again, I don't think Amplitude is on any newer consoles. I don't have to worry about playing it on a handheld and I can play it with my controller? I think I will enjoy this new game...

This article is a bit more up-to-date on things: http://www.rockbandaide.com/15809/more-rock-band-blitz-details-including-free-export-to-rock-band-3/
    Blech. Unless those new songs are really jaw-dropping, I think I'll pass. I feel like they would generate substantially more if they released the game for, say, $10 and raked in the dough from returning addicts who are looking at the catalogs for the first time in 2 years.
  • edited April 2012
    If you guys have ever played the PSP/DS versions of Rock Band, then this is pretty much the same thing. I loved those portable versions, so I'm quite excited for this one.

Just like what you guys mentioned, this is pretty much just Amplitude, but I don't see why that's a problem.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • If you guys have ever played the PSP/DS versions of Rock Band, then this is pretty much the same thing. I loved those portable versions, so I'm quite excited for this one.

Just like what you guys mentioned, this is pretty much just Amplitude, but I don't see why that's a problem.
    It's not a problem - hell, it's a brilliant business move for them, but in this day of Steam sales and $15 XBLA games, I don't think of Amplitude as a $20 game anymore...
  • Legend of Grimrock comes out today :)

• edited April 2012
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • lol

Mass Effect 3 falsely advertised, says BBB
    Wow, shit got real.
    BBB is sort of a scam itself, so whatever. If it didn't happen so often, I would find it funny that something that has been so obvious, and we have discussed many times, is big shocking news.

The only kind of game that really generates a story is the Dwarf Fortress kind. All these big games with the voice acting and the cutscenes and such are really just very complex choose your own adventure novels. There is a limited number of scripted outcomes for different parts of the story, and the outcomes for the different parts combine to determine which scripted outcome of another part actually happens.

The best example is Fallout 3. All that open world. All those choices about being good or evil moving the good/evil meter back and forth. Oh, and then at the end you get a little menu that is basically press 1 to see ending 1, press 2 to see ending 2, etc.

What I want to see is the gaming press become much harder on these games for their bullshit. But that will never happen because all those "journalists" are fanboys who loves these games, and won't say anything bad about them. Also, the game companies pay their salaries with advertising dollars and exclusive stories.
  • I don't agree with that assessment. The outcome of the game IS completely dependent on player choices. People just didn't like the ending.
    lol

Mass Effect 3 falsely advertised, says BBB
    Wow, shit got real.
    The best example is Fallout 3. All that open world. All those choices about being good or evil moving the good/evil meter back and forth. Oh, and then at the end you get a little menu that is basically press 1 to see ending 1, press 2 to see ending 2, etc.
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution is worse. It's not even a menu. It's literal buttons you walk over to and push. "Push this button to kill everyone here and hide what happened. Push this other button to tell the truth and make humanity turn forever away from science. Push this OTHER other button to ..."

Literal buttons. Go push them. And the best part? Get ready for spoilers.

Serious spoilers.

You see basically the same ending no matter which one you push!

FUCK the ending of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The game is super fun, but a five year old could have scripted a better ending.