This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20111006 - Shoes and Handbags

Comments

• I have a pair each of sneakers, black shoes, dress shoes, flip-flops, slippers, snow boots, hiking boots, and ballroom shoes. I'm probably going to buy a pair of brown shoes and Latin shoes in the next year or so. So I have a bunch of shoes, but each one has a different function.

However, I don't understand people who have more than one or two pairs of shoes with the same function. Why would you spend money on a pair of shoes that you don't have some purpose for?
  • I have Outdoor Saddles, "Slipper" Saddles (For inside the house) Work Shoes, Work Boots (for Weather intense days), Seekers (for when Saddles isn't appropriate outside) And a pair of dress shoes that just gather dust between big dos.
  • I must disagree with Scott's rule that a pair of shoes should be discarded after 365 days without wear. Seems to me that one's available storage space makes a difference here. For example, I probably wear dressy heels once a year, at most. But it makes more sense to just hang onto that decent pair of heels that go with everything, than to have to spend time and money shopping for their replacement every (say) 13 months.
    However, I don't understand people who have more than one or two pairs of shoes with the same function. Why would you spend money on a pair of shoes that you don't have some purpose for?
    I've got a couple pair of shoes that are arguably for the same function, ordinary day-to-day work wear. But my feet are happier when I don't wear the exact same pair shoes every day, so I do better with two pairs that I'm alternating.
  • I have a pair of sneakers, a pair of dress shoes, a pair of sandals, and a pair of boots.
  • I have trainers for juggling, trainers for general wear, boots for walking in the summer, boots for the snow in winter, sandals, flip flops, dress shoes for my show, dress shoes for other wear, slippers. I think that's it. If I ever started running, I'd buy running shoes right away.
  • Two pairs of slip-ons I use most days, a pair of running shoes, a pair of snow boots, a pair of flip-flops, and two pairs of dress shoes.
  • Shoes are awesome. You all shut your mouth. They make my feet look pretty and go very well with certain outfits.

I don't have as many shoes as I once did, however I still have a decent amount for certain occasions. I also have at least 10 different handbags/purses. I recently got rid of many shoes and bags because I really don't need/use them.

My mother is a like Imelda Marcos when it comes to shoes and purses. It's fucking ridiculous. My brother's old bedroom as well as my own are used for storage of said shoes and handbags. Yes, my mother is the Filipino. However, I'm not going to hate when she gives me her hand-me-down Dooney & Burke purses.
  • A pair of sneakers, sandals for the shower, a good pair of dress shoes...And two different sets of cosplay shoes.
  • Hey Rym, how long have you started using vibrams? A friend from medical school is using them but she recommended me not to wear them unless I am running on grass or a very soft surface. I was very close of getting one but I don't want to injure myself if I change to vibram to drastically.
  • trainers for juggling
    What characteristics do these shoes have that make them different from other shoes?
  • trainers for juggling
    What characteristics do these shoes have that make them different from other shoes?
    Oh man, there's a whole youtube video waiting to be made to explain this stuff. I'll go into to it later, if I remember.
  • Being someone who walks every-fucking-where, I can honestly say I've never had a pair of shoes last more than about, say, six months or so.
  • WTF. I love women in high heels. It makes their butt and calves look better by the way it forces them to stand on the tiptoes. I do always tell her to wear comfortable shoes if the high heels are going to be a problem for me, but I don't usually get my point across. She complains, I deal with it, but I get the extra sexiness from her, so I'm cool.
  • I love women in high heels.
    I do too, but they have their time and place. There are women who insist on wearing heels even when it's not really appropriate.
  • I do too, but they have their time and place. There are women who insist on wearing heels even when it's not really appropriate.
  • Whenever I see heels, I don't think of how they're affecting the rest of her body, I just think of foot binding.
  • edited October 2011
    I adore my extensive shoe collection. To each their own when it comes to heels. I wear them frequently because I am 5' 2" and heels (in addition to lookin' awesome) help me reach things (including the floor when I am out to eat or in the movie theater and my feet wouldn't reach the ground otherwise).

On a semi-unrelated note, some actors "get into character" via interaction with the costume (as a source of inspiration for body movements, positioning, and so forth). I had one acting instructor who said that no matter how much she prepared for a role, it wasn't until she put on the character's shoes that she could flesh out her performance. In a very real way "walking in someone else's shoes" changes almost every movement (posture, stride, etc.).

Shoes are magic.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Shoes are magic. Magic is Friendship. By the transitive property (I have the power) shoes are friends!
  • edited October 2011
    Actually, friendship is magic.

If you call sneakers tennis shoes, and they aren't meant for tennis, you bother me. If you have never owned actual tennis shoes and you cal your sneakers tennis shoes, you bother me even more.

I will argue for women owning lots of shoes because they tend to be more concerned with matching and fashion than men. For me, I only need enough shoes for the seasons, and dress shoes.

Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • Hey Rym, how long have you started using vibrams? A friend from medical school is using them but she recommended me not to wear them unless I am running on grass or a very soft surface. I was very close of getting one but I don't want to injure myself if I change to vibram to drastically.
    I've got Vibrams as well, and it's not about the surface you're running on, it's about how you're running. In normal running shoes, your heel hits the ground first and your foot rolls through the stride until you spring off from your toes. Your stride will end up being longer this way(unles you're sprinting then there's little difference). With the Vibrams(or just barefoot running in general) your heel never hits the ground first, if it even touches the ground at all. You should land on the ball of your foot letting your ankle absorb impact of landing instead of the heel of your running shoe taking some of the impact but delivering the rest through your knee.
  • It's cold already, fuck.

A problem I'm having lately is that I own boots and sneakers. Wearing boots is not ideal if it's not snowing. The sneakers are much more comfortable. But they aren't warm. I would like to find a very comfortable every-day, walk around the city, shoe that is warm. Doesn't need to be waterproof or anything, because I'll just wear boots if it's going to be wet.
  • I have summer boots and winter boots. Summer boots are waterproof but thin and light, and winter boots are waterproof but heavy and solid. Yesterday I got out my winter boots because Berlin has turned unpleasant.
  • Chukka boots maybe? Brown leather chukkas are comfortable and they go with anything. Just make sure they fit well because my current pair are a bit too large, and rub my heel raw if I walk around too much in them.
  • Get some trail runners or hiking boots. Lighter than snow boots, some very close to shoes, but far warmer than those Nike free you're usually wearing.
  • And pair them with some good smartwool/merino socks. Also, please never call me girly. You would think I live with centipedes from all the shoes in our foyer.
  • Also, please never call me girly. You would think I live with centipedes from all the shoes in our foyer.

It's funny that the two groups of people I associate with the "owning millions of shoes" demographic are.

1. Media-driven girl stereotype
    2. Sports people

I own a lot of shoes. At this point, we have two shoe racks, both completely full, and many more shoes on the floor around them.

In order of how specific their use cases are:

Sandals
    General purpose boots
    Larger vibrams (for socks)
    Running shoes
    Dress shoes
    Tight no-sock vibrams
    Trailrunners
    Rollerblades
    Heavy Snow boots (impossible to wear above ~20*F)
    Ski boots

That's just me.
  • Summer boots
    Winter boots
    Gym juggling shoes
    Studio juggling shoes
    Street performing shoes
    Dress shoes
    Running shoes
    Flip flops
    Sandals
    Other trainers