This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20111006 - Shoes and Handbags

Comments

• Oops. Forgot cycling shoes.
  • Starfox said:

Gym juggling shoes
    Studio juggling shoes

What's the difference between these?
    Sports halls have hard floors, so I use indoor tennis shoes. My studio is carpeted, so I wear much lighter canvas sneakers.
  • 5 pairs of sneakers because I'm likely a closet sneakerhead with low funds.
    2 pairs of dress shoes
    1 pair of thongs
    1 pair of old sneakers

Prior work shoes:
    1 pair of oil and water slick proof safety boots
    1 pair of gumboots
    1 pair of leather shoes with sneaker soles
  • I really, really like my current work shoes, so I'm not gonna lie, I have a second pair of them in a box in my closet, never opened.
  • Matt said:

I really, really like my current work shoes, so I'm not gonna lie, I have a second pair of them in a box in my closet, never opened.

I'm going to do the same with my running shoes. Lately I've been wearing them for style reasons (they look good), so I might get a new identical pair that hasn't got running damage and scuffs all over.
  • I feel like the odd one out I have less than five pairs of shoes that I wear with any regularity;

Work boots
    Smart boots
    Floppers
    Shagged Skate shoes
    Shagged running shoes

I do have others but they don't cycle through that much at the moment.

• Apreche said:

It's cold already, fuck.

A problem I'm having lately is that I own boots and sneakers. Wearing boots is not ideal if it's not snowing. The sneakers are much more comfortable. But they aren't warm. I would like to find a very comfortable every-day, walk around the city, shoe that is warm. Doesn't need to be waterproof or anything, because I'll just wear boots if it's going to be wet.

To echo what Chie said: wool socks. Trust me on this one. They'll do a far better job of keeping your feet warm than buying specialty-purpose shoes.

I've got several pairs from LL Bean, and they're awesome.

• I already have mad wool socks, but shoes be breezy.
  • Apreche said:

I already have mad wool socks, but shoes be breezy.

You're wearing running shoes. They largely the same shoes I run in. They're never going to be warm for you.

• Saw somone wearing these on my commute.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/vapor-glove-2/17572M.html?dwvar_17572M_color=J03911

they look really comfortable for running.
  • I only have Sneakers, Casual men's shoes, and slightly more formal men's shoes.
  • They look zero arch support and cushioning. Hope you know what you're doing if you run in those.
  • Arch support is for babies. ;^)
  • Rym said:

Arch support is for babies. ;^)

Babies who love not having flat feet.
  • I've avoided any arch support for... 15+ years? Running regularly.

My feet are far from flat.
  • I have no idea how the hell you managed that.
  • Going barefoot, particularly over terrain such as a beach where muscles are given a good workout, is good for all but the most extremely flatfooted, or those with certain related conditions such as plantar fasciitis. Ligament laxity is also among the factors known to be associated with flat feet. One medical study in India with a large sample size of children who had grown up wearing shoes and others going barefoot found that the longitudinal arches of the bare footers were generally strongest and highest as a group, and that flat feet were less common in children who had grown up wearing sandals or slippers than among those who had worn closed-toe shoes.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_feet#cite_note-Rao-3
  • AmpAmp
    edited October 2015
    I will stick with running trainers over foot gloves, how many pro -marathon /endurance runners wear them btw?

Edit; format
    Post edited by Amp on
  • Running shoes (Which I wear all the time)
    Sneakers
    Slightly nicer "work" shoes (from before I had programming jobs)
    Dress shoes
    Hiking boots
    Ballroom shoes

I also own a pair of snow boots, but they're at my parents' place.
    I don't like sandals.
  • All this talk of footwear reminds me of the great Australian beef that ran through the Giant Bombcast's emails section last year
  • That was the best thing in the world. Just magic.
  • That was a great beef.
  • It was excellent beef. I did not contribute, but I was tempted.
  • Churba said:

It was excellent beef. I did not contribute, but I was tempted.

So what do you call them, and when is it appropriate to wear them? And what city do you hate?
  • Starfox said:

They look zero arch support and cushioning. Hope you know what you're doing if you run in those.

Merrell's are recommended by most podiatrists and orthotists over here.
  • Churba said:

It was excellent beef. I did not contribute, but I was tempted.

So what do you call them, and when is it appropriate to wear them? And what city do you hate?
    Thongs, anywhere you're allowed(and presuming it's safe to do so) if you're comfortable with wearing them there, and pretty much none of them because they're all great. I like Sydney the least, but I still quite like it for all the jokes and other guff. And even then, mostly because A)the vibe doesn't mesh with me, and b)I cut myself to fucking ribbons so many times on shark beach that I'm pretty sure sharks still tell legends about the great food island.
  • From what I have heard of Sydney if you are not carved from marble and a scion of beauty you might as well eat your face.
  • Most of my interaction with Sydney is the hilarious drama-comedy that is my cousin twice removed and his family. His mom (my mom's cousin) lives in this giant house with a fairly lavish lifestyle. Her marriage ended in shambles. My cousin is rebellious because of it and my mom's cousin acts like everything is perfect and fanciful in her family's life.

It's the most interesting type of trainwreck.
  • I also have strong high arches (impressed the yoga teacher), grew up mostly barefoot, and predominantly wear vibrams. Walking & biking are my main forms of transportation, so shoes have to be practical. I only run on mulchy trails, bc running with proper ("barefoot") form on asphalt is annoying.

2 lightweight vibs
    2 geta (casual & dress)
    sandals
    mary jane heels (dress)
    midweight leather vib
    hiking boots
    cycling shoes
    climbing shoes
    gardening shoes (merrell clogs)
    A whole assortment of old (but nice & nearly unworn) heels/platforms I plan to give to my niece (who is 8ish, almost my height, and a princess >.>).
  • 1 pair of terrible crocs for kitchen work
    1 pair of hipster-y shoes for looking presentable.
    1 pair of gym shoes for gymming
    1 pair of old hipster-y shoes that have been worn flat. I use them as slippers.
    1 pair of 26 year old winter boots.

I love shoes, but hate shopping for them.