This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Internet Lynch Mob - WTF?

edited December 2011 in Everything Else
So for those of you not aware, Mr. Paul Christoforo was subjected to an Internet Lynch Mob today. Basically, he was exceedingly rude to a customer, arrogant, and generally annoying. Read more about it here. Due to the way he acted, his email correspondence was made public and quickly made its way around various blogs, news agencies, and commentators. Very, very quickly (within a few hours) he was humiliated and information was dredged up about him from the depths of the internet. To me, the most telling piece was this case information. While it is a matter of public record, the fact that me, living in South Carolina, can find it so easily is interesting.

From what we can tell, when the dust settled Paul was simply a bully a bit out of place. His attitude pushed him into Sales, and then into SEO and "Internet Marketing" as a consultant. It has been found out that his site was plagiarized(note that although the main post was removed, much of the detail is in the comments) from multiple different sites, all of his blog entries could be attributed to various industry publications, and he was generally disliked by those who worked with him (even Geico poked fun at him). So, generally a thug pretending to be a marketing guru to cash in on the social media revolution. Not too uncommon of a story, really. Only thing that makes this guy any different is the fact that he managed to do it to a gamer, and a few gamers of note can be very touchy about bullying (like Gabe). So, now his marketing business has crumbled, he will probably continue to receive hate mail, emails and phone calls for the next few weeks, and he's going to more than likely suffer from the consequences for years (considering the emotional trauma being haunted by thousands of angry people must cause).

My question is... what can we learn from this? Obviously, that being an asshole doesn't quite pay off, but more than that what else can we learn?

Information is so incredibly freely available nowadays, is it worth trying to do damage control prior to a problem occurring?

Is this simply a symptom of a more connected society? Considering that the entire thing exploded over someone being an asshole to someone else, and the asshole was the one to suffer primarily, does it matter? Is it simply another form of social justice, akin to ostracism in Greece or excommunication in the Catholic church?
Post edited by SquadronROE on

Comments

• It's also one of the rare moments where I've seen a legitimate drop of the "Don't you know who I am?" card where it was both ignored, and had severe repercussions.
  • So, generally a thug pretending to be a marketing guru to cash in on the social media revolution.
    I know of a guy who is pretty much literally exactly this. His last two or three scams got shut down, and now he's trying to run an SEO scam. Doesn't look like it's going to be terribly successful.
  • Yeah, there were a lot of rare moments in this for me. The rare moment where geeks really showed they were the ones with the power instead of bullies/jocks/whatever. The rare moment where all apologies are rejected.

An interesting sidenote to this is this.
  • So, generally a thug pretending to be a marketing guru to cash in on the social media revolution.
    I know of a guy who is pretty much literally exactly this. His last two or three scams got shut down, and now he's trying to run an SEO scam. Doesn't look like it's going to be terribly successful.
    I bet most of them aren't. I think this guy was basically lucky, as one of his friends was able to hook his "marketing company" up with a guy who had just developed an innovative controller. Said controller helped sick kids play video games, made it onto the local news and a couple of gaming blogs, a hundred preorders turned into several thousand, and now the "marketing" guy was stuck using endlessly apologizing for delays rather than making a quick buck.
  • edited December 2011
    Two things: This is an indictment of shady SEO/PR spamming. It's also a strict reminder that the Internet is all about the social contract. PA readers sent a message that while we might not be able to do anything about the economy, or legislative stupidity, or the prevalence of fundamentalism, the Internet at large is damned well not going to let scammers get away with bullshit. Frankly, I laughed and clapped at these developments all day. Here is a slimy bastard getting his just deserts. And while these might be good controllers and even a good cause, the makers also were penalized for using a shoddy, shady marketing system.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Well put. I think you're kind of right. There's a TON of suppressed emotions being brought up here.
  • *desserts
  • The #1 thing I learned from this is that I have another thing in common with Mike Krahulik. Justice is the #1 priority.
  • The #1 thing I learned from this is that I have another thing in common with Mike Krahulik. Justice is the #1 priority.
    I love his quote at the end of his update. I think it sums up my, your, and many people's feelings very well.
  • When will people learn not to fuck with the Internet?

Not any time soon, I hope.
  • Makers of the Avenger asks for forgiveness.

I think the Amazon comments were unfair to the actual product vs. the customer service of Roid Rage Paul. Hopefully the internet will understand this and give the product a chance if they want to. It also just goes to show for the makers to make sure to look into the people they hire.

This has been quite the entertainment of the day.
  • Yeah, the Amazon reviews have been rather unwarranted. I'm not sure if it's possible, but if I was the actual company that made the product, I'd sue this Christoforo guy into the ground.
  • edited December 2011
    Although PT Barnum once said (or I'm about to bastardize) that as long as you spell his name right, he doesn't care what you say about him, part of the problem nowadays is that with information being freely available, and with many of the people this person is trying to appeal to utilizing said information, his douchebaggery is now laid bare and he is going to pay for it I think. He and/or his company are going to get crucified, and if this gets plastered everywhere (which I hope it does) then they may lose ALL of their business. Dave might be satisfied to just get his peripheral but I'm sure other disgruntled customers would cancel their order and demand their money back (or take it back through their credit cards).

I really see Ocean Marketing burning for this fuck up.

I also love how the guy is such a jackass to one of probably the most potentially influential people on the internet. Smear campaign? The internet hate machine is gonna come back a hundred times harder than some silly marketing corporation can ever do.

edit: Well reading further, yeah they have burned, and will continue to burn.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • I just read all this drama at 6:30am in a dark London hotel room. Shit is hilarious. I especially enjoyed the point where Paul was talking about his juice habits, and some kind stranger informed him that he didn't know what he was doing and would likely have to take hormone replacement levels of testosterone for the rest of his life.

Don't ever let anyone tell you that there ain't no justice.
  • Dude got what he deserved.
  • I've used the product. It's as dumb as it looks.
  • Although PT Barnum once said (or I'm about to bastardize) that as long as you spell his name right, he doesn't care what you say about him, part of the problem nowadays is that with information being freely available, and with many of the people this person is trying to appeal to utilizing said information, his douchebaggery is now laid bare and he is going to pay for it I think.
    PT Barnum was practically Mother Teresa compared to your average "Social Media Guru" lowlife.
  • Although PT Barnum once said (or I'm about to bastardize) that as long as you spell his name right, he doesn't care what you say about him, part of the problem nowadays is that with information being freely available, and with many of the people this person is trying to appeal to utilizing said information, his douchebaggery is now laid bare and he is going to pay for it I think.
    PT Barnum was practically Mother Teresa compared to your average "Social Media Guru" lowlife.
    Try a different person. Mother Teresa was an evil bitch.
  • True. But PT Barnum wasn't all that evil in any case.
  • People like this guy is why I left the world of social media promotion.
    Well, it's aimed (at least somewhat) at disabled gamers who wouldn't be able to use the controller at all otherwise. I don't think you or I are the target audience.
    Well, it's aimed (at least somewhat) at disabled gamers who wouldn't be able to use the controller at all otherwise. I don't think you or I are the target audience.
    That wasn't how it was marketed when I saw it at a con. They were selling it as an "extreme performance" addon to make you faster and more accurate in competition.
  • Also, can we stop referring to this idiot as the "President" or "CEO" or whatever title he claims?
    That wasn't how it was marketed when I saw it at a con. They were selling it as an "extreme performance" addon to make you faster and more accurate in competition.
    Yeah buts just like how the Snuggie was originally made for wheelchair-bound old people. Manufacturers will try and sell to as many people as possible.
  • Speaking of internet lynch mobs, Reddit is attempting to send one after Lindsay Graham and make an example out of him for his support of SOPA. I wish them the best of luck.
  • I sure as hell hope they're successful. That man does not represent my interests at all. Although I shudder to think who we'll put in his place if they do get him out.
  • Interestingly enough, here's his side.
    He's hoping to turn it into something positive. I am curious about who else could have been duped by this clown... and who would see the back and forth between him and the customer and then continue to say "This is a guy I like!". I'm imagining, maybe, the mob.
  • edited December 2011
    I hate how he says that he only would have "handled the situation better" is he had known who he was talking to. Completely missing the point.

Like Gabe said, there's a difference between being sorry and being sorry you got caught.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • He just keeps digging the hole deeper.
  • Guys like this will never fully admit they were wrong. I really hope that he will eat his words and pretty much be done as a PR rep.

I really don't want him coming to PAX East.