This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Internet Lynch Mob - WTF?

13»

Comments

• >Implying Gawker is journalism.

Seriously, it's really just assholes shooting the shit and stroking their e-peens by linkfarming with flamebait. It's a collection of open sores on the blogosphere, and Jezebel and Giz are festering abcesses.
    I have been to the Gawker offices and NYC and they were frightening. Nobody looked happy. The receptionist was full of attitude. There was a man moderating comments and drinking from a bottle of scotch at noon.
  • That's...a fairly accurate description of how forum moderation usually works outside of this ivory tower we have right here.
  • Keep in mind that here bans have been known to occur with Court Martial proceedings. Jesus Diaz just bans people at random in order to maintain the power complex necessary to distract him from the suicidal despair common to needlessly egotistical cynics like himself.
  • That's...a fairly accurate description of how forum moderation usually works outside of this ivory tower we have right here.
    This is absolutely true. Still, there's a lot wrong with how things work over at Gawker. That was just added for effect.

Speaking of Gawker, has everyone been paying attention to the Vox Media announcement today? After hitting big the The Verge, Vox is making their own gaming news site, affectionately being called "Vox Voltron" at the moment online b/c they've poached editors-in-chief from Joystiq, Kotaku, The Escapist, and MTV Multiplayer, while also snagging a boatload of other good people. Can't wait to read this site. Kotaku is now in the hands of Stephen Totillo, so god help that site.

• When they changed their CSS they lost me. I can't stand the layout on their sites.
    This is absolutely true. Still, there's a lot wrong with how things work over at Gawker. That was just added for effect.

Speaking of Gawker, has everyone been paying attention to the Vox Media announcement today? After hitting big the The Verge, Vox is making their own gaming news site, affectionately being called "Vox Voltron" at the moment online b/c they've poached editors-in-chief from Joystiq, Kotaku, The Escapist, and MTV Multiplayer, while also snagging a boatload of other good people. Can't wait to read this site. Kotaku is now in the hands of Stephen Totillo, so god help that site.

Oh, so that's where Crecente went to! Oh, shit they have Russ Pitts also. Looks like that is going to be the new best gaming blog in town. I will definitely add it when it launches. Vox is in Manhattan, maybe they want me? Nope, looks like all their developer positions are in DC.

I agree with the general Gawker hate, but I still read Kotaku just for Ashcraft. None of these other gaming blogs actually have a real person in Japan. Kotaku is always the one to have things nobody else because of that. Also, Luke Plunkett knows how to find that Otaku stuff that the other sites just don't have. Take this post from today for example.

http://kotaku.com/5872886/that-game-about-dating-disabled-girls-is-finished-ready-for-download

I don't want to play that game, but it is very useful and entertaining for me to know that it exists.

As for Totilo, I sadly have to agree. I've met him briefly at PAX, and I can't say anything negative about his skills as a journalist. I can, however, say something about his knowledge as a gamer. Many game journalists severely lack gaming knowledge, so he isn't the only guilty party. But in particular his piece about not playing Doom really made him stand out in this regard. If a film critic hadn't seen Citizen Kane, they wouldn't be taken seriously by anyone, let alone become editor in chief of a film review publication.
  • When they changed their CSS they lost me. I can't stand the layout on their sites.
    Google Reader.
  • I stopped reading Kotaku long ago, even before the site change. RPS is hands down the best gaming site right now, even though it's mainly PC games.
  • I stopped reading Kotaku long ago, even before the site change. RPS is hands down the best gaming site right now, even though it's mainly PC games.
    Yeah, it's pretty much RPS and GiantBomb for Video games, but I do still have kotaku in Google reader, simply for the occasional gem that comes up, mostly on stuff barely related to video games.

Oh, so that's where Crecente went to! Oh, shit they have Russ Pitts also. Looks like that is going to be the new best gaming blog in town. I will definitely add it when it launches. Vox is in Manhattan, maybe they want me? Nope, looks like all their developer positions are in DC.

I agree with the general Gawker hate, but I still read Kotaku just for Ashcraft. None of these other gaming blogs actually have a real person in Japan. Kotaku is always the one to have things nobody else because of that. Also, Luke Plunkett knows how to find that Otaku stuff that the other sites just don't have. Take this post from today for example.

http://kotaku.com/5872886/that-game-about-dating-disabled-girls-is-finished-ready-for-download

I don't want to play that game, but it is very useful and entertaining for me to know that it exists.

As for Totilo, I sadly have to agree. I've met him briefly at PAX, and I can't say anything negative about his skills as a journalist. I can, however, say something about his knowledge as a gamer. Many game journalists severely lack gaming knowledge, so he isn't the only guilty party. But in particular his piece about not playing Doom really made him stand out in this regard. If a film critic hadn't seen Citizen Kane, they wouldn't be taken seriously by anyone, let alone become editor in chief of a film review publication.
    I got a bit excited when I saw they are another NYC-based outlet as well. I tweeted at them to see if they wanted a guy to do tabletop gaming commentary, but no dice (oh the horrible puns).

Reading Kotaku for Ashcraft is a good point. I actually just discovered another insight into Japan last night, when I listened to my first episode of the 8-4 Play podcast. 8-4 is a Tokyo-based game localization company that employs a bunch of Americans who live out there. I was following one of their employees on Twitter (John Ricciardi, an EGM alumn), when I found out the company's staff does a weekly podcast w/ game commentary. Wasn't the greatest podcast in the world but it was definitely a decent one. It's hard to find that straight-from-Japan insight and it carries the show.
  • Polygon launched. I love Vox Media's designers.

http://www.polygon.com (it's a website)