This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mechwarrior: Living Legends - The Megathread

edited December 2011 in Video Games
Alright, so for awhile now you wonderful people have put up with me slipping further and further into the depths of mech-fuelled madness. Oh, it started innocently enough, playing a lightweight Battletech boardgame based on the Heroclix system. Then it deepened when I found Megamek and campaigns for it, and now my living room is dominated by a Steel Battalion setup.

Throughout it all, though, what I always really wanted was a good remake of Mechwarrior 4. There was something about that game that just grabbed me for hours on end, when I would consistently beat all challengers in crazy Solaris matches. That's when I found out about MechWarrior: Living Legends and started figuring out what it would take to get into it.

Well, it wasn't easy for me to figure out but that doesn't mean it needs to be difficult for you to figure out. In hindsight there were a few things that would have made life MUCH easier for me getting the game up and running. So without further ado... here's the Megathread. Everything you might need to know about Living Legends.

Battletech? MechWarrior? What the hell?
It's the far future (3068 or so), and the Human empire has expanded so far that Terra is barely remembered as the place where it all started. Now, battles are fought between militaristic Clan warriors and the staunch defenders of the various Inner Sphere houses (think: rival factions all united under one banner) on hundreds of planets. The weapon of choice is no longer the assault rifle, a hover tank, or even some fancy laser but instead a Battlemech... 100 tons of firepower, heavy armor and mobility, designed to lay waste to enemy armor as quickly as a fat kid lays waste to cake. Heavy tanks, speedy hover tanks, aerospace fighters and VTOLs still buzz about in the battlefield, but the 'Mech has become the platform of choice for most heavy weapons.

Alright... but I'm sure there's more I need to know. Tell me, or else.
You got me, there is. You need to realize that these 'Mechs are different than the Mecha that is popular within Anime. Those Mecha manage to be incredibly agile and rely on incredibly high tech weapons and melee combat to quite a bit. Battlemechs do not do this. They lumber onto the battlefield (for the most part, but we'll get to that later), striding towards the enemy while launching missiles at long range targets, firing heavy lasers into closer targets, and sustaining withering blows to their armor. You'll also not find melee combat (in MW:LL at least), nor shields. Think a bit closer to our current technology (anti-missile systems exist, and high-caliber rifles are popular) while a bit more sci-fi (particle cannons and numerous flavors of lasers exist).

So why should I play MechWarrior: Living Legends?
Because of this:

Basically, it is the best multiplayer Mech piloting game I have seen to date. In addition, it's the only one I've seen that allows you to choose from a variety of positions. Lumbering around the battlefield in a slow but heavily armed 'Mech not quite your thing? Well, how about zipping across the battlefield in a speedy RVN-3L "Raven" light 'Mech? As a scout, you'd be automatically providing incredibly useful intel on enemy movements while at the same time jamming enemy missiles and harassing lighter enemy units.

Still no? What about lobbing salvos of long range missiles from a tracked assault vehicle into enemy targets? Or setting up heavier mobile artillery to shell an enemy's base? Or even hopping into a VTOL or Aerospace fighter to bring death from above?

While the action centers around Battlemechs, MW:LL brings combined arms into the fray. I've had huge amounts of fun using the standard Battle Armor and assaulting from below. It's hard to beat the feeling of blowing apart a 'Mech's leg without him even seeing you with blasting charges.

Ok, I'm interested. Now what? How much does it cost? How do I get into it?
Well, that's a bit more difficult to answer. MW:LL is a mod based on the Crysis engine. As such, you'll obviously need Crysis and then the MW:LL installer before you can get in. So let's take it one step at a time.

First off, you'll need Crysis. Or, more specifically, Crysis Wars. The best way to get this is currently via Steam, by buying the Crysis Warhead game. This will get you the most up to date version of Crysis Wars, and the Steam version works just fine with the mod.

Once you get that downloaded and installed, you'll want to hop onto any Crysis Wars server that has Punkbuster enabled and make sure you can log on properly. Once you do that, you're ready to actually install the mod.

NOTE: You might get an error on trying to connect, saying "CD Key is invalid, would you like to edit it?". Don't fear! Your key is not invalid. Check out this post for information on how to fix it. It's really not that difficult. Basically, Steam's "installscript" pushes a CD key into your registry that doesn't include dashes. Real CD Keys include dashes, so you just need to pop them in there in that script, or edit your registry and remove that part of the script.

NOTE 2: You'll have to create a Gamespy account as part of this. I've never had to log in more than the first time I did this, but that's the way it works.

Installing the mod is joyfully simple. Grab the installation file from here and click Next a bunch of times. Once the installer is done, make sure that you mark "Run Auto Update" and then an Auto Updater will start its work and will bring you up to the latest.

That's it! You then just click Launch MWLL and you're in the game.

Some quick basics about the game:

W A S D and mouse is the general control scheme. In a Mech, W and S are throttle up and throttle down (and you can go into reverse) and the mouse aims weapons and twists your torso appropriately (so you can move in one direction and fire in another).

Clicking fires the weapons in group 1, right-clicking does group 2, mousewheel click does group 3 (by default). The arrow keys and space bar assign/reassign weapons into different groups (upper right of your HUD).

To get a missile lock, hover the aiming point over a vehicle far enough away. When the tone goes solid, click away and adore the whooshing of missiles.

TAG is basically a laser targeter. NARC is a beacon that can be shot onto a mech. Both will guide all missiles to them after the missile is fired.

AC is Autocannon. Lower values are smaller caliber, which fire faster and farther but pack less punch.

Don't be afraid to try new things!

Comments

• I originally got Crysis to play this game, but then had too much fun with Crysis and forgot about this game ^_^
  • Haha, awesome. I still haven't played Warhead at all... even though I kind of want to. Love the hell out of Crysis.
  • This actually looks kinda cool. When I get my new laptop, I'm picking up Crysis 1 and downloading this for sure. Do they have a Crysis 2 mod?
  • Nope, it's all Crysis Wars. Note you'll have to get Warhead to make sure you get Crysis Wars.

I don't think they're planning on changing the engine anytime soon, but honestly... the game looks utterly fantastic anyway.
  • edited December 2011
    A couple of my friends worked on this mod. From what I hear, a lot of them are now on the dev team of the new Mechwarrior game.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • A couple of my friends worked on this mod. From what I hear, a lot of them are now on the dev team of the new Mechwarrior game.
    That would be mechwarrior online i assume? If those videos were any indication i am at least assured of the graphical fidelity. MWLL looks super sweet as well though.

• They both look really good. I spent some time reading the Q&A for MWO today, it's pretty impressive.

I get the feeling they'll end up being different games though. MW:LL is more about combined arms, MWO seems to be all about 'Mechs.
  • I am ALL about Mechwarrior games. I've played MW2, MW3, MW3:Mercenaries, The Mechwarrior full motion pod at chuck'e'Cheese...I've even read some of the novels. That game is mine. See you all on the field of battle.

• edited December 2011
    I remember that mod. Good times.

Post edited by Casa Vino on
  • I need to re-live my experiences becoming the leader of clan Jade Falcon and my time with the 72nd assault trinary on a mission of redemption for clan Ghost Bear. Those were some sweet times.
  • edited December 2011
    I am ALL about Mechwarrior games. I've played MW2, MW3, MW3:Mercenaries, The Mechwarrior full motion pod at chuck'e'Cheese...I've even read some of the novels. That game is mine. See you all on the field of battle.

All I have to say to that is... woot. I look forward to entering the field of battle with you/destroying all you hold dear (in the mech world at least).

Also, a couple quick things about gameplay. If you're familiar with MechWarrior games you'll be used to the pacing. It takes a bit to get to battles, but when you do it tends to be a mix of deliberate tactical movement and fast-paced blasting action. Keep in mind that you can easily do things like switch to passive sensors, which drastically lowers your radar signature.

Additionally, there are a few game types you'll see out there:

Team Solaris Arena is the most common, and is basically Team Deathmatch. You start out as a recruit, with a set amount of money to spend (replaced on respawn) that gives you access to lighter vehicles/mechs and most VTOLs/Aerospace fighters. You get more money by damaging enemy units (note: you don't have to destroy them, you get money for landing hits) and doing things like using extended sensors to spot enemy units, etc. Eventually you'll go up in rank and respawn with additional funds, working your way up to the heavy and assault mechs.

Test of Strength is the same as above, with a key difference. You'll start the game with a crazy amount of funds available, and can only replenish them by damaging/destroying other mechs. It's a good way to try out the Assault mechs.

Solaris Arena is a classic free for all Solaris Arena event, narrated and all.

Territory Control is fairly self explanatory. You spawn at a base, you work with your teammates to take control of other bases, while the enemy tries to do the same. Ranking and money is the same as in Team Solaris Arena.

Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • If you're still on the fence check out some of these incredible screenshots. All are using the in-game engine.

Inner Sphere Battle Armor after a successful 'Mech kill.

Madcat unleashing some LRMs.

• Y U NO USE imgur?
  • I usually do, but I wanted to link directly in this case (also, laziness). Is it loading slow or doing something bad to the server?
  • I usually do, but I wanted to link directly in this case (also, laziness). Is it loading slow or doing something bad to the server?
    It's not loading at all because that site denies hotlinking.
  • edited December 2011
    Hrm. It looked fine to me in preview. In any case:

Battle Armor!

MadCat!
  • Hrm. It looked fine to me in preview.
    That's because it was already in your cache.

• Hrm. It looked fine to me in preview.
    That's because it was already in your cache.

D'oh. Of course it was. Learned three things now:
    1. Use Imgur
    2. Don't not use Imgur
    3. Don't rely on Preview so much.

• edited December 2011
    MadCat!
    I think you mean Timberwolf.

Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited December 2011
    Game calls it a Madcat, so that's what I'm going with even though it is probably a Catapult Thor Mackie.
  • MadCat!
    I think you mean Timberwolf.
    Nope, that's a Madcat MK III. The Timberwolf is an earlier design by a different clan, and has a different shape body and arms - though it was the first Mech called a "Madcat", since it was called that by the Inner Sphere.

• edited December 2011
    Quote Battletech Compendium: The Rules of Warfare (1691) page 132.
    The Mad Cat, know as the Timber Wolf among the Clans...
    Too many people played Mechwarrior 2 where everything is all clan all the time. The majority of Battletech is all Inner Sphere, in which case it is called Mad Cat.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Apart from the variant whatnot, seeing as how it is a Clan developed Mech, I'll call it by the name given to it by the creators, not some Inner Sphere call sign.
  • Furthermore, it's not a Madcat Mk III, it's an original.

I mean, it's a Timberwolf.
  • edited December 2011
    Not sure what it was called in MW2 (last time I played that game was over a decade ago) but in MW3 it's called the Madcat.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Not sure what it was called in MW2 (last time I played that game was over a decade ago) but in MW3 it's called the Madcat.
    In MW2 you play as clan. In MW3 you play as Inner Sphere.
  • In MW2 you can just load it up with machine guns and go to town, too. Ahh, the days of the MG boat.
  • Less arguing about the name of the mech you're blowing other mechs up with, more blowing mechs up.
  • Front armor only, one jump jet, two gauss rifles, targeting computer, backed up against a cliff in the corner of the map, staring you down, aiming before firing, never moving.

Final Destination.