This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Connecticon 2012

Comments

• We should discuss this over beers at City Steam.
    YES.
    definitely.
  • We should discuss this over beers at City Steam.
    YES.
    definitely.
    I approve.

• edited May 2012
    Oh! We should check out this place Thursday night: http://www.planbburger.com/flash.html

EDIT: Why isn't Luke listed as a guest?
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • Plan B is really good, but if you want a really awesome pub burger you have to go to J. Timothy's in Plainville. It's a little more of a drive, but trust me on this. The wings are the best in the country, too, and they have forty-something beers on tap.
  • Oh, hi, I'm muppet. I'm new. I'm lost.

:)
  • Hello :) Post something in the "Identify Yourself" thread to get started. It'll let other people say hello and let you express your interests a bit.

I'll try to check that place out. Time maybe the deciding factor. I'm sure those wings are good but best in the country is a pretty big boast.
  • It's 15 minutes by car, we could definitely hit that for lunch one day. I'm planning to bring my car to the con every day.
  • Best wings in the country. :)

You've gotta get either buffalo or honey barbecue. Either one, as long as it's Dirt Style.
  • Are you folks going as guests? Panelists? Artists? Dealers?
  • Going as a Panelist! I am doing an animation workshop with my friend and another panel about the Japanese animation industry.
  • Shit shit shit shit shit shit shit. It looks like I am not going to make it this year due to issues at home, you all better have a blast up there.
  • Sorry to hear! Good luck with your home issues.

Going this year as a panelist. Doing a lecture about board game/video game relations.
  • Con Staff/Panelisit/Drunken Mess... Not necessarily in that order.
  • Panelist. I wonder if anyone on the forum is actually going as regular attendee. It seems like everyone does something to get a special badge.
  • This will be our first con ever, ever, and we're going to be in the Artist Colony. I'm about as nervous as it's possible to be. First time selling our stuff "retail", first time at a con of any kind for any reason. Going to try really hard not to be super conspicuous about how clueless I'll be. :-)
  • I really need to get my badge, and find a place to stay. For some reason Connecticon snuck up on me again.

I'm working on two board game ideas, so maybe I'll bring the prototypes and do some play testing while I'm there.
  • OK, so, being brand new to CT-con, I'm not sure if I should bring just my dice jewelry that I know will appeal to at least some of the RPG players, the wannabes, the people who just like quirky, geeky stuff...

But I'm also starting to make some more high end stuff using more expensive materials that I think are pretty awesome, but not really GEEKY per se.

Does that sort of thing still fly at Con, or am I better sticking with my niche stuff?

Here's what I'm talking about:
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/SuddenlyJewelry

If this is considered spam here, sorry!!
  • Wow, I killed it.
  • It happens.

Con tastes vary from year to year. CT-con has a growing steampunk crowd. They're a bit older and have a bit more spending money then the typical con goer. I'd look at marketing to them,
  • Hmmm... well... I've got some gears. ;-)
  • OK, so, being brand new to CT-con, I'm not sure if I should bring just my dice jewelry that I know will appeal to at least some of the RPG players, the wannabes, the people who just like quirky, geeky stuff...

But I'm also starting to make some more high end stuff using more expensive materials that I think are pretty awesome, but not really GEEKY per se.

Does that sort of thing still fly at Con, or am I better sticking with my niche stuff?

Here's what I'm talking about:
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/SuddenlyJewelry

If this is considered spam here, sorry!!
    As a CtCon vet, an RPG player, a wannabe, and a person who just likes quirky geeky stuff, I say bring both types. :)

I'll be at CtCon as a panelist. Also I'm a fairly novice RPG player and hope to find a game to join in on there, so I'd definitely appreciate any recommendations FRCFers have on RPGs at CtCon. I tend to like the sillier RPGs; for example, I had a fantastic time at NerdNYC Recess playing a Spirit of the Century game where each of us played a 1980s figure (the party included MacGyver, the goth girl from Beatlejuice, Conan the Barbarian, Angela Lansbury's character from Murder She Wrote, Ferris Bueller, and Kira from Xanadu (me)).

• I'll be doing about how Gainax changed the Japanese Animation industry and a panel about the more ridiculous aspects of the original UC Gundam series'. Can't wait! There will be ALL the gaming!
  • @Aprache and @rym I sent my email in last week about not being able to make it to the convention this year, I am stating it here just in case Rym did not get that email for whatever reason. I hope to provide panels next year and sorry I have to pull the ones I planned for this year.
  • @Aprache and @rym I sent my email in last week about not being able to make it to the convention this year, I am stating it here just in case Rym did not get that email for whatever reason. I hope to provide panels next year and sorry I have to pull the ones I planned for this year.
    Yeah, I saw it. Don't worry, you're not on a blacklist or anything. ;^) I can fill the slots easily enough.

• edited June 2012
    Have we come up with something to replace Beluga?
    Who's other other other Scott?
    1. Rubin
    2. Johnson
    3. Gibbs
    4. ???
    Scott is a strangely common nerd name. I know two non-FRC Scott Anibloggers as well.
    Post edited by Gundampilotspaz on
  • edited June 2012
    It's more that Scott was a VERY popular late 70's early to Mid 80's name. which meant a lot of people named Scott were coming to age during or right before the geek Renaissance happened. So a lot of Scott's were caught up in it.

Scott used to be a prep/yuppie name, watch any 70's/80's comedy.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • So, is the con this disorganized every year? Information is scarce, promised updates are missing or delayed, no maps published 3 weeks from the convention..? Is this typical?

Are all cons like this?

The staff on the forum seem annoyed by most questions, too. :(
  • Have we come up with something to replace Beluga?
    We used GroupMe for PAX East. It worked pretty well, so I propose we use it again. It uses smart phone apps, plus SMS for plain phones.
  • Yeah, GroupMe seems to be winning, even though Beluga was better.

• Are all cons like this?

The staff on the forum seem annoyed by most questions, too. :(
    Sadly yes, however Connecticon actually cares, I've been to ones that were MUCH worse organizationally to the point that the schedule was delayed because the printer they had at the convention ran out of paper.