This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Connecticon 2012

Comments

• He'll make a decision based on what it would add against what potential problems it would cause.
  • So if a panel might be controversial, you wouldn't go to bat for it? I'm not sure I can provide a for instance, but I'm curious.
    I think he means more legal trouble than controversy trouble.
  • RymRym
    edited June 2012
    They're just datapoints. It depends on the nature of the problem.

Controversy isn't a problem. "Beyond Dungeons & Dragons" was pretty controversial when we ran it at PAX 08.

I mean problems like "these panelists break the rules in a serious way at-con" or "this event is likely to get out of control." I reject panels from certain panelists that have been frequently complained about for bad behavior or who I wouldn't trust to be in a room unsupervised for any amount of time.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Cause a problem for the convention is a panel with explosives demonstrations, not guy discussing controversial topic.
  • I guess I forget that we're talking about a large age range and very disparate groups of people even though they're all "geeks", more or less.
  • Getting super excited for this, but still seriously worried that I don't have enough stock for my booth. I have somewhere around 200 units of various pieces of jewelry and knick knacks, which I'm not sure is enough. I mean, I'm not expecting to make a killing, but I'd like to have more variety.

And I only have like, 12 d20 keychains because the supplier I buy the heavy chain from hasn't come through with more in 2 months and I can't find an acceptable substitute. It's not good. Not good.
  • So, I just pre-registered a friend of the family who's traveling to ConnectiCon with us, and I get this text in the emailed confirmation:
    Your user account on our website has been upgraded to include all of the
    2012 privileges, so you may now reserve seats for events being held at our
    annual convention, attend our monthly member appreciation days, and receive
    discounts on merchandise at the Member's Shop & Tournament Center located in
    Newington, CT.
    Lolwut? I see nowhere to reserve seats. . . I can only imagine this is some kinda weird boilerplate? Am I gonna need a FastPass to get into the Ponies panels? I didn't pre-reg myself through the site as my badge is otherwise arranged.

• That functionality was added, but the Panels department is not using it. No reservations are open for any events we're managing. It's mostly for gaming events. I honestly don't foresee any panel ever using it.
  • That functionality was added, but the Panels department is not using it. No reservations are open for any events we're managing. It's mostly for gaming events. I honestly don't foresee any panel ever using it.
    Ah - I see it now in the gaming events, when I go to their descriptions.

Does that mean that if I want to sign up for a game, I should sorta hijack the registration of the family friend I just pre-reg'ed? And how does it work if one ConnectiCon website account has pre-registered a bunch of people (which seems to be a thing one can do on the site)?
  • I have no idea. The extent of my domain ends at the very edges of "Panels" and "Workshops." I have no role in any other aspect of the convention. ;^)
  • I have no idea. The extent of my domain ends at the very edges of "Panels" and "Workshops." I have no role in any other aspect of the convention. ;^)
    Gotcha. Thanks.

• I'm gonna create a groupme group for obvious reasons for this con. Anyone who wants to be added, tell me now so I can add you.
  • kewlguy01@gmail.com and bad.badtz.maru@gmail.com, please.
  • kewlguy01@gmail.com and bad.badtz.maru@gmail.com, please.
    Whom do these addresses belong to?

• Me and jtvh.
  • Me and jtvh.
    Ah.

• I'm gonna create a groupme group for obvious reasons for this con. Anyone who wants to be added, tell me now so I can add you.
    Neito@nerdramblingz.com
  • vigatheotagal@gmail.com

• I signed up for Escape from Equestria RPG and got email from the GM with some basic homework before the game. The fun has been doubled.
  • I am freaking the flip out, here. There's only two weeks to go and I only have ONE store fixture complete that's going to display like, 1/5th of my merchandise. I have nothing to cover the table with yet. I have no banner, no signage, nothing is tagged with prices.

I am so doomed. DOOOOOOOMED.

I don't even have bags yet to hand customers their stuff in. I have jewelry boxes, but seriously I can't just hand people a jewelry box and go "here put this in your pocket, yo!"

I have no budget left, either. I am so screwed. :-)
  • Things in my favor:

I have the materials to make more fixtures, just gotta crank on them big time.

I guess I can buy a roll of banner paper at AC Moore and do it up Lemonade Stand style.
  • For the groupme: Gundampilotspaz@gmail.com
  • If I did some sort of DnD one shot, who'd want in in that?
  • I'd play.
  • I would throw down for that as well.
  • Which version? Hardcore original D&D or the "BLECH" 4th Ed?
  • For what we will probably be doing for a one shot either or will probably be fine.
  • For what we will probably be doing for a one shot either or will probably be fine.
    Do you want to draw aggro and tank?

I enjoy 4th ed. If it's purely my choice, then probably 4th, yeah. I could also do ODnD, but I'd have to read up on the rules.

No offence to Neito since I actually don't know what he has planned, but there isn't that many options for some verbose roleplaying in a one shot barring stuff like The Sword. So if we are going to pretend hit shit with pretend characters we may as well use the system that is best optimized for pretend killing things. Besides I am pretty sure I can milk fun out of pretty much any system at this point.