This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX Prime 2012: Bobcats To The Front Of The Line

Comments

• That's a good amount actually.
  • Oh, if you want to play Zendo at PAX, bring it. I packed it, but then unpacked it upon realization of what a giant pain in the arse it was going to be to have that in my luggage on the flight. ;^)
  • Scott, will you have your big wad of singles again to give to the Cookie Brigade?

I'm so happy we have hotel reservations for Thursday night. My Filipino Parkour kuya will be there on Thursday evening as well.

He's the one who coined the term "Inverse Wizard Hat".
  • Meet one of the Omeganauts.

Notice what she has on her coffee table.
  • Anyone who makes a video for their own Omeganautness is win.
  • I thought Omeganauts were chosen at PAX?
  • Phone calls go out ~1 month before PAX.
  • I thought Omeganauts were chosen at PAX?
    That was the one time at East where they did the drawings at Opening Ceremonies.
  • Why did I not schedule my flight for Tuesday damnit.
  • edited August 2012
    Oh, if you want to play Zendo at PAX, bring it.
    You've convinced me. I'll be bringing Zendo to PAX. Students, prepare yourselves.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Is that the Buddha nature game?
  • @apreche @rym are we possibly on for eclipse around 9pm?
  • Asmadi Games will be at PAX again. They have a new card game called Flowerfall that sounds very unique, with a high chance of being awful, but it's at least got my attention. It's basically an area control game played out by dropping cards.

Let me explain. You take a deck of cards and start dropping cards onto the table from about eye-level. When the cards land and touch each other, they form a field. Cards also have flower symbols on them (each player scores the flower symbols of a certain color). If you have the most flowers in that field, you score points. There are also barrier symbols on the cards that can break the game up into numerous fields.

I'd like to play this once just to say I have, but I have serious doubts that you can skillfully control the fall of a playing card. It's just meant to be a silly game like We Didn't Playtest This At All, or Win Lose Banana. Apparently people at Origins were playing it where you had to ride an escalator up and drop your card off the side.
  • Jeremy keeps on contact with Chris Cieslik from time to time about gaming stuff and pretty much pledges anything he Kickstarts.

His other games, Innovation and Fealty, are cool, so hopefully this one will be too.
  • Is that the Buddha nature game?
    Yep! Also, I still haven't gotten to play Eclipse yet, so I really want to find a game of that going on.
  • I have said game and I am in Seattle.
  • edited August 2012
    We are heading up in a few hours. Here is the final list of games we are bringing to the yard:

7 Wonders with Leaders expansion
    Dominion: all expansions, all promos
    Quarriors: all expansions
    Ascension: all expansions
    Marrakech
    Takenoko
    Kingsburg with expansion
    Cards Against Humanity withe expansion
    Infinite City
    Small Wolrd Underground with Realms
    Citadels
    Burrows
    Bohnanza
    Gubs
    Shadow Hunters
    Battle Line
    Timeline
    Bananagrams

I should have gotten a medal for the person who wins the most games.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Hrm... I guess may have access to random prizes. Send me a message of some sort if you settle down to game somewhere.
  • I wonder if they have/make extra medals for the tournaments/what one would have to do to get one. Constantine has one for Small World and one for Settlers, and they're pretty high quality.
  • There are extra medals due to mistakes in programming along with tournaments not happening. I have a Gohnanza medal waiting for me.
  • If there are games being played I want in.
  • Just saw this tweet regarding PAXDEV:

Chris Lamb @chrislamb
    Enjoyed most of my time at PAX DEV, but wow, that was about as diverse as a Klan meeting.

I don't know the tweeter, it just came up in my PAX search. Wonder if ScRym will have something to say about that.
  • Just saw this tweet regarding PAXDEV:

Chris Lamb @chrislamb
    Enjoyed most of my time at PAX DEV, but wow, that was about as diverse as a Klan meeting.

I don't know the tweeter, it just came up in my PAX search. Wonder if ScRym will have something to say about that.
    Honestly, that sounds like the sort of guy who is just dying to have something to bitch about. Did PAX Dev put up a giant sign that side "white dudes only?" I'm willing to bet they did not.

It's one thing to have a well-thought-out discussion that looks at potential reasons why people of other sexes and/or races wouldn't pursue a certain career path or attend a certain event. It's another to sit on twitter and cry about being a white male.

I doubt Rym and Scott would have anything to say about that. They are probably actually enjoying PAX Dev and not spending their time doing a census on the crowd.
  • Oooh, I'm so stunned that attending an industry conference for an industry predominantly staffed by dudes, and of them mostly white dudes, was full of white dudes. Better make my incredibly manufactured shock well known to everyone!

You Fucking Pillock.
  • I dunno if I should do much needed laundry, or go play board games...
  • Oooh, I'm so stunned that attending an industry conference for an industry predominantly staffed by dudes, and of them mostly white dudes, was full of white dudes. Better make my incredibly manufactured shock well known to everyone!

You Fucking Pillock.
    I don't know what he was expecting. Devs now were kids who grew up playing games when games were a geek thing and geekery was a white dude thing. Those things are less true than ever now, but the industry hasn't had a chance to catch up to the expanded demographic. Give it a decade and that shit will sort itself out.

You Fucking Pillock.
    I don't know what he was expecting. Devs now were kids who grew up playing games when games were a geek thing and geekery was a white dude thing. Those things are less true than ever now, but the industry hasn't had a chance to catch up to the expanded demographic. Give it a decade and that shit will sort itself out.
    Exactly - large things, like the games industry, are rather like large physical objects. They have inertia, they take time and effort to move to a different place. We've put in a lot of effort, and we've yet more to put in. All it's going to take now is time.

• I dunno, I'm always massively offended that there aren't more lesbians in attendance at these industry conferences. I've tweeted about it, but for some reason it's been completely ineffectual.
  • I dunno, I'm always massively offended that there aren't more lesbians in attendance at these industry conferences. I've tweeted about it, but for some reason it's been completely ineffectual.
    Obviously everyone is welcome. PAX Dev did not sell out. There is some greater reason that they choose not to show up, and it is in no way the fault of PAX.

I'm going to http://www.djangocon.us/ after PAX. Willing to bet it will be mostly white dudes.