This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Another Health Care Thread

Comments

• I'm sure that's a real comfort to everyone still unemployed past the end of their benefits.
    They should be. The U.S. essentially played Russian Roulette and survived a complete credit meltdown. Now, if you want to blame the slow recovery, I know a couple people they could contact.
  • Not a complete meltdown.

The slow recovery is based on a number of factors, one being wealth concentration, another being a massive pile of private, unsecured credit debt that is acting like a huge smothering blanket on the entire country.
  • Mortgage deduction is not comparable because there is no renters penalty tax being ofsett.
  • The world lost nearly half it's perceived value. Lots of money people thought they had disappeared to the tune of trillions of dollars, the fact that we are not in a full blown depression is amazing.
  • Mortgage deduction is not comparable because there is no renters penalty tax being ofsett.
    There totally should be! ;-p
  • If it is ruled a tax then shouldn't it function like a payroll tax? I need some good journalism to read...
  • If it is ruled a tax then shouldn't it function like a payroll tax? I need some good journalism to read...
    There are certain taxes that are sometimes paid at filing time, like capital gains (though sometimes your brokerage will withhold those for you when you do your stock sale), etc. I envision this tax will be similar. For example, I live in MA which also has the individual mandate or tax penalty law. I don't actually have to pay the tax until I file my taxes and, even then, all I need to do is provide proof of health insurance (provided by my insurance company) as part of my tax filing to not have to pay it.
  • What happens to all of the waivers that were granted? If is a tax and not a penalty are they still valid?

How much power do the concurring opinions carry? I get the feeling that while Roberts joined the liberals on the court in upholding the mandate he also did the judicial version of a signing statement to give a big fuck you to Obama by limiting the commerce clause and making the mandate into a tax.
  • edited June 2012
    Yep. Like I said, you're beating the U.S. soundly - or did you think a bigger number was better?
    No, I understand the numbers, I just didn't get your intention fully. My internal numbers may also be way old like yours were.
    The world lost nearly half it's perceived value. Lots of money people thought they had disappeared to the tune of trillions of dollars, the fact that we are not in a full blown depression is amazing.
    Seems like the crap the US puts in the water to keep a large number of folks acting like complete morons is working. They'd probably still shamble around after dying since the brain-controlling water-addition is keeping them too stupid to realize they're dead! US IS MAKING THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE HAPPEN OHGOD!
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • What happens to all of the waivers that were granted? If is a tax and not a penalty are they still valid?
    The waivers were just political theater, they were just waivers to hold off a few months for companies that demonstrated that they needed more time to comply with aspects of the law. No one had been waivered permanently, people who said that either didn't read it, or spun like crazy to make it look bad.
  • Florida has horrible bugs. Our cockroaches would get really big and we would have mosquitos.
  • Florida has horrible bugs. Our cockroaches would get really big and we would have mosquitos.
    Do not forget gnats that bite, most people who are not from the south seem to be amazed by that.
    Do not forget gnats that bite, most people who are not from the south seem to be amazed by that.
    Agreed. I'd rather put up with a cold winter than deal with mosquitos and roaches and all the rest.
  • Instead of screaming and bitching, I'm expressing my opinion through my vote in November.
  • Been hearing some specualtion that Roberts may have changed his vote on the Health Care law in response to Scalia's outburst after the AZ law descision fiasco.
  • Instead of screaming and bitching, I'm expressing my opinion through my vote in November.
    Screaming has more of an effect than voting. Money has the most effect. ;^)

• Been hearing some specualtion that Roberts may have changed his vote on the Health Care law in response to Scalia's outburst after the AZ law descision fiasco.
    It's more likely the opposite.
    Screaming has more of an effect than voting. Money has the most effect. ;^)
    Agreed. :P If you're not rich, you don't matter. :P
  • Elections are Othello games in which propaganda flips lines of weak-minded chips.
  • Elections are Othello games in which propaganda flips lines of weak-minded chips.
    ooh i like it.
    You forget to mention that almost all the chips on the board are weak-minded.
  • All I have to say is this, "woooooo, fuck pre-existing condition bullshit! ^_^"
  • In my case it's "woooo my daughter can be on my insurance until 26 and won't be financially ruined the way I was by the genetic disease that we share.
  • Wooo I'm still uninisured since my Dad's unemployed and my stepmom's work doesn't extend coverage to children of domestic partnerships!

I want to be able to go to the goddamn doctor, this is ridiculous.
  • Wooo I'm still uninisured since my Dad's unemployed and my stepmom's work doesn't extend coverage to children of domestic partnerships!

No argument that it's not good enough. Sadly, in this political climate we were lucky to get this much. Corporations are running the show and the country is made of at LEAST 50% useful idiots who are letting them and even helping them do it.

• edited June 2012
    On the lighter side of things, Texts with Hillary & Obama.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • All I have to say is this, "woooooo, fuck pre-existing condition bullshit! ^_^"
    hear hear! just wish i didn't have to wait until 2014. I have to get insurance once my student HI runs out -- a lot of possible side effects to working with power tools...

Kind of feeling like this ACA thing is an ineffectual step? Right there with ya. Care won't be affordable until insurance is no longer a for-profit industry.

• I think people forget the part where insurance now has to use 80% of it's collected money to actually go towards treatments and if it doesn't it sends you money back.

Kind of feeling like this ACA thing is an ineffectual step? Right there with ya. Care won't be affordable until insurance is no longer a for-profit industry.
    Agreed, or at least until the profits are capped for basic insurance. Again, I cite Switzerland, where all insurance companies are required to be non-profit or are not allowed to make a profit when covering basic insurance as defined by the Swiss government (which basically means if you get sick, injured, or pregnant, you're fully covered). The Swiss government also set the rates which the insurance companies, for and non-profit, can set for basic coverage. Essentially, the only way for an insurance company to make profits is by offering "supplemental" insurance, which basically covers things like having nicer rooms in the hospital, dental insurance, and whatnot. Basic insurance premiums are also capped at 8% of your annual income -- if it comes to be more than that, the government subsidizes the rest.

Now I'm not saying that this is the best system out there. However, if we're stuck with private insurance, the Swiss show that it's possible to accomplish universal health care that way.