This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Glass

Comments

• Nice to know the sarcastic response got a lot of discussion.
  • edited February 2013
    We had an interesting discussion on the latest FNPL about whether Glass might actually be a good thing for society solely because a saturation of possibly-always-recording cameras everywhere (that weren't controlled in a somewhat leery UK-style Big Brother way) might be a deterrent to street crime. What do you think, forum?

EDIT: as for that article, I have three things to say:

1. There is no expectation of privacy in a public place. By law in a lot of jurisdictions.

2. Social security numbers? Seriously? NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOU. If you are being an ass on the subway, people are already filming you with their phones. If you walk down the street in a large city, you're probably in the background of a bunch of tourists' photo albums. People need to get used to the fact that we have external memory devices, or move to the country (which I don't begrudge them for at all, if that's their choice). If you live in society, you're going to have to interact with people and make impressions (sometimes lasting ones) on them.

3. If you're in a private place and someone says, "hey, it would be cool if you didn't film this," then don't. Just because humans have the capability to be dicks doesn't mean we have to be.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • What to do in the bathroom?
  • What to do in the bathroom?
    Toilet paper review YouTube show.
  • edited February 2013
    What to do in the bathroom?
    Toilet paper review YouTube show.
    Based entirely on how squeezable and springy an unopened roll is.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • When I have Glass, I'm going to write an app where users can tag public, bar, and restaurant restrooms with reviews of their toilet paper. If you're walking down the street and need a place to go, don't settle for that 1-ply Starbucks. Hit up a market with some primo rolls instead!
  • I would use that app for all the stupid public restrooms that put the toilet paper dispenser below the grab bar. WHY DO THEY DO THAT?

It's so freaking hard to get toilet paper out. You have to crouch down and stick your hand underneath and up to get toilet paper.

Pretty much 90% of public restrooms do this. It aggravates me to no end.
  • Personal note: Having children provides you with less opportunities to be awesome.
    So many levels of wrongness... it hurts my brain.
  • Also, re Glass: somebody somewhere is working on Photosynth for concurrent video streams.
  • edited February 2013
    Also, re Glass: somebody somewhere is working on Photosynth for concurrent video streams.
    Noah Snavely's work in Bundle Adjustment [1] is nice (Bundler/Photosynth works fairly well), but it's quite computationally inefficient and fairly out-dated work. Still, large scale 3D reconstruction is still intensive depending upon your data set [2]. Additionally they are both batch methods. However, my group has developed a non-linear optimization toolbox which solves these types of problems fairly well in real-time/incremental scenarios that would be needed to do live photosynth with Glass. I WANT A GLASS LET ME DO THIS.

[1] http://phototour.cs.washington.edu/bundler/
    [2] http://cs.unc.edu/~jmf/publications/Frahm_et_al_ReconstructionFromPhotoCollection.pdf
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I just thought of one thing I would actually want Google Glass for, though retroactively. It would be really nice to have recorded all those nights I've blacked out from drinking and have no idea what happened.
  • Can it record my dreams?

• I just thought of one thing I would actually want Google Glass for, though retroactively. It would be really nice to have recorded all those nights I've blacked out from drinking and have no idea what happened.
    That sounds like a bad idea to me. The things you do when you're blackout drunk aren't the things you want a paper trail of (if you will).
  • My only experiences with such things has been that I'm still a gentleman and behave appropriately... just drunkenly.
  • edited February 2013
    I just thought of one thing I would actually want Google Glass for, though retroactively. It would be really nice to have recorded all those nights I've blacked out from drinking and have no idea what happened.
    That sounds like a bad idea to me. The things you do when you're blackout drunk aren't the things you want a paper trail of (if you will).
    If you're a bad drunk, sure. But if I'm to believe my friends, I'm a gentleman when drunk. Most of the time when I've been blackout drunk, they couldn't tell. At least, not until the puking happened.

EDIT: What Creamsteak said.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • If it's possible to live stream from the cam 24/7 then I predict Google Glass will be the next Twitter.

Subscribe and follow famous/interesting people.
  • Can it record my dreams?
    It can.
  • When Glass does become publicly available -- provided it is affordable for me then -- I intend to purchase it. Augmented reality is a very exciting prospect for me. However, I was internally debating the impact Glass could have in the hospital setting. I would assume I would not be allowed to bring Glass into my place of employment (being a nurse), although I could see excellent uses of it. I look at my patient, and up comes their entire medical history, the medications they have registered that they take, their blood type, etc. It would save a lot of time and effort if we were more accepting of a universal data entity like that. Although healthcare (at the public level, anyway) likes to fight technology until they just can't turn away from it anymore.
    I would bet you visitors would not be allowed to wear Glass inside a hospital either, because healthcare privacy laws are so insane.
  • And then your boss tells you you can't use it in a hospital setting due to patients freaking out about the privacy concerns.
  • I will basically avoid stores, restaurants, and other places that might ask me to not wear them as much as possible, mostly to punish them for being backward. ;^)
  • It would take far too long for the American medical system to have this kind of foresight but a limited glass technology with the features Aiyakiu described would be amazballs. You're both probably right that it'll be banned by privacy paranoid twats.
  • edited March 2013
    Hey, I wrote a Toomble about Glass paranoia! ;^)

http://geeknightsrym.tumblr.com/post/44292938246/project-glass-a-disruptive-technology-i-welcome-with
    I agree with your stance on this subject, but your writing/toombling style is internet awful.

Random italics, underline, capslock, quotes, and an argument from on-high while nobody is looking. If I didn't know any better, I'd just assume you were one more random internet quack arguing with their imaginary demons from inside their glass house.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • It would take far too long for the American medical system to have this kind of foresight but a limited glass technology with the features Aiyakiu described would be amazballs. You're both probably right that it'll be banned by privacy paranoid twats.
    You think it's stupid, but there is a reason why those laws are in place.

Hospitals have tons of informations on patients and you don't want any of that out in public.
  • If I didn't know any better, I'd just assume you were one more random internet quack arguing with their imaginary demons from inside their glass house.
    That exactly what I am on Tumblr.

• If I didn't know any better, I'd just assume you were one more random internet quack arguing with their imaginary demons from inside their glass house.
    That exactly what I am on Tumblr.

Bah, you're no Gene Ray.
  • edited March 2013
    You think it's stupid, but there is a reason why those laws are in place.

Hospitals have tons of informations on patients and you don't want any of that out in public.
    Oh, I know and agree. Many of my family are in the medical health professions. This is why I said a limited form of Glass. When you arrive on site and report for work, take off your glass and pop on the stuff provided by the hospital.

You limit functionality and tailor functions left to the tasks of the worker.
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • You think it's stupid, but there is a reason why those laws are in place.

At the same time, those laws are used to engage in extremely anti-competitive practices, and put up barriers to patients getting their own medical information in some cases.
  • You think it's stupid, but there is a reason why those laws are in place.

At the same time, those laws are used to engage in extremely anti-competitive practices, and put up barriers to patients getting their own medical information in some cases.
    I don't disagree. There have been countless times where I had to deal with patients that just wanted a copy of a bill for some Tort or legal case, and it was completely out of my hands to give it to them. They had to go through this long drawn out process with our Regional Counsel and fill out loads of paperwork.

From my experience, I find that most of these privacy laws are in place because the people that many of the medical facilities hire are not competent enough to know how to handle patient information. Ever since computers were put into the picture, the laws have become stricter because these medical "professionals"/administrators lack basic technological skills of how to operate the currently technology they use.

Our medical facility finally introduced a wireless network in the last few months.