This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Glass

Comments

• This is why we must build our own superior city! PAXlantis or bust.
  • New Detroit?
  • New Detroit?
    Only if it has 20% more crime and poverty.

• Detroit Metal City.
  • I vote EPCOT. If inner-city travel by car isn't unheard of, I'm not interested.
  • There WILL be cars in this city. It doesn't have to be the dominant mode of transport, but there MUST be cars.
  • edited March 2013
    No cars, they can't go up.
    A city centre shouldn't have need for cars.

Building a city is an odd idea, usually cities kinda sprawl outwards from a starting point.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Sorry, Omnutia, but cars are way too awesome to give up. It's like asking someone to give up video games.
  • edited March 2013
    Cars have their place but in the centre of a city they're mostly a waste of space.

Car park: Cars sit there doing nothing.
    Train station or bus depot: Constant movement.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited March 2013
    You can ride your trains/busses but I will always pick cars over them for one simple reason: in my entire life (and remember that I spent more than half of that in an area where public transport was ubiquitous and inexpensive) there has never been a time where travelling using public transport was faster, easier, or often even cheaper than driving when I needed to get from one place to another.
    And, in the ultimate test of getting from one arbitrary destination to another in as little time as possible, one sentence sums it all up nicely: Trains need tracks.
    The only thing that beats cars are planes/helicopters, and that's only when the trip is measured in hundreds of miles
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • You live in a shit city.
  • edited March 2013
    You live in a shit city.
    Having lived in one city where public transportation was significantly worse than cars and another where commuting by car is unthinkable, if you're going to build a city you're going to want to build one such that having cars within at least a three-mile radius of the city center would be pointless. It's just better that way.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • That's what I was thinking. There are cars for driving outside of the city, but within it no one drives. Like, to the point where you need a special business license to drive in the city.
  • You'd still have to have some sort of vehicular infrastructure, at least, as things stand from now for maybe 10, 15 years into the future. It's fine to imagine a 3 mile no vehicle radius, but how do you think all those shops and cafes and shit are going to get their product in to stock it? You're not getting delivery assholes walking 6 miles per pallet of boxes. Hell, you're not even going to get them driving 6 miles on a forklift. You can't run a train through or under that would be sufficient for everything, that would be a ludicrous project.
  • edited March 2013
    That's why I had the caveat about businesses getting licesnses to drive within the city.professional car services are fine, but commuters and such have to go.

EDIT: I suppose I should also suggest Walt's solution, since I suggested EPCOT, which was where trains would be the above ground transportation and cars would be below. It's essentially the same infrastructure many cities have now, but with the trains expanded and the two locations flipped.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • edited March 2013
    Anyone who says Glass is goofy looking needs only look back at what the pioneers in the field were wearing 20 years ago...
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Current DIY wearables are not that much better, honestly. Smaller, maybe, but not really a vast improvement. Glass could be orders of magnitude more goofy looking, and still be the best looking AR device out there. Or, to be out there, I guess.
  • The antenna on the head made me laugh.
  • The stoic confidence made me laugh.
  • Fanny packs made me laugh.
  • Oh god, Fanny packs.
  • Dat trenchcoat.
  • They probably all speak lojban now.
  • edited March 2013
    The guy in the trenchcoat is one of the leads on Glass (he's also a Georgia Tech prof). #themoreyouknow
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited March 2013
    A bar has already banned Glass.
    I'd say that the bar lost me as a customer, but I don't like bars and I live on the opposite side of the country, so I doubt they care about me. Given that they already ban filming and photography inside the bar, though, this isn't all that surprising. If you can't pull out your point-and-shoot, why would they allow you to strap a camera to your face?
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • Pretty much. As much as they have a goofy policy, it's a logical progression of it, and the only reason that this is making news is because it involves google glass. If it was "Bar Bans entry with a GoPro strapped to your head", nobody would look twice, except for the amusement factor. But because it's Glass, every two-bit technologist/futurist and other glass-obsessives are going to FREAK THE FUCK OUT, because if you're not getting into fistfights to be first in line to buy glass, then you've nothing but sour grapes, or you're stupid, or blah blah blah blah blah blah I like technology aren't I just the tits?
  • Feel like this was more or less newsbait.
  • I think they already admitted it was mostly a publicity stunt.
  • Regardless of whether the ban is serious or not, I can tell you from personal experience that the 5 Point isn't worth going to in the first place. The only reason it's popular is because it's historical, not because it's actually good.