This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRC Forums Tekkit Server

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Exploration isn't supposed to be easy or safe. :-)

As for spawning items, I only spawn items for the rail system. It'd be prohibitive to do it otherwise. I have rails that cross literally hundreds of chunks and some day they'll be worth using, too. :-) I know people already use the spawn->library line fairly often.

I don't think I'm projecting, but it's possible. There's reams and reams and reams and reams of pages on the internet agreeing with my position on EE and something like 90% of server admins remove it.

But, I've said my piece and that's that. The only really grating issue for me is that Multiverse won't work while we have EE running. That's a huge bummer, there's so much cool stuff that could be done.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • A community on a server pooling together to build an actual town or city with some RP potential, that's amazing. Shops and so on would actually be worthwhile if we didn't have you-know-what. :-P
    Hey, man, I built a functional library that's actually useful to players.
    You did. You are in the top 2 or 3 contributors on the server.
  • edited September 2012
    Exploration isn't supposed to be easy or safe. :-)

As for spawning items, I only spawn items for the rail system. It'd be prohibitive to do it otherwise. I have rails that cross literally hundreds of chunks and some day they'll be worth using, too. :-) I know people already use the spawn->library line fairly often.
    I'm not saying it isn't useful, or that it's wrong. But by your admission, it removes the time you spend doing things. Why not make some manufacturing machines to do that for you?
    I don't think I'm projecting, but it's possible. There's reams and reams and reams and reams of pages on the internet agreeing with my position on EE and something like 90% of server admins remove it.
    they != us, also, confirmation bias?
    But, I've said my piece and that's that.
    Shall I hold you to that?
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • edited September 2012
    Confirmation bias? Call it an informal survey. Gameplay experience is subjective, after all. The only data you're going to get is going to be in a survey response type form, not including things like utilization statistics which you can only infer things from. Tekkit forums and /r/tekkit certainly give a unified opinion about EE with few dissenters.

As for manufacturing machines, that doesn't really solve it. For rails that cross 1000m+, I just WorldEdit them in. That's why they're not High Speed rail, WorldEdit doesn't support them. I could build and program turtles and then follow them with the 'W' key for a few hours to make sure their chunk stays loaded, but what would be the point of that? Certainly not rewarding gameplay. I certainly think it's the prerogative of a server mod to zap in some useful infrastructure and I don't think that's hypocritical at all.

In any case, I'm not interested in turning it into a flamewar. I was trying to argue the mod on its merits not start a snark match. I'm frustrated by an empty server and the consensus among Tekkit server admins has been EE = player boredom. Naturally as the server admin I feel strongly about things that affect utilization and enjoyment for the majority of players. It's not like I haven't done any research. I'm not just soap boxing.

EE in, Multiverse out. So it goes. I will definitely re-address it on the forum if utilization stays this low for an extended period, however.

Maybe the puzzles/quests I'm planning to build will spark some interest and bring people back in.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Maybe the puzzles/quests I'm planning to build will spark some interest and bring people back in.
    It'll likely pull me back in a bit, and I'd love to help with building them - I don't often have the hours to pour into how I want to make my own stuff - I mean, sure, it's a great idea, but it's a lot of effort to build a scale model of grey's scale model, for example. Let alone mining and pissing about about for it. Making stuff with my Fabber is great, and I can mine for fun when I want, or to get samples, and it allows me to focus my efforts on actually building stuff(well, when I have the time) rather than having to go on often fruitless quests to pick up one thing I need and a ton of shite I don't. I also kinda like making fun stuff for other people.
  • See, I'll go explore a cave now, and see tons of ore and lava pools and all this neat stuff, and get out my pickaxe.... and then go "what am I carrying all this ore for? This is stupid, I don't need any of this." It takes me out of the experience, but I'm fine with the fact that other people don't share the opinion. I can't help that it's a STRONG opinion which is stoked pretty hot by the mod conflicts EE causes. Gravitas was gonna be so sweet.

I'll try to hit you up re: the building of things. I'm thinking of doing some redstone circuit puzzles where you're only allowed to use a screwdriver to solve them, and such. I may get fancy and try installing Core-Protect to allow the puzzles to be rolled back after being solved, but they may just be one-shots.
  • I wasn't trying to start a flamewar d: mostly just poking. I really ought to use green text more..

The empty server thing will be helped by more people with different lifestyles. Sadly, I do have to start working on my projects, elsewise I shall not be able to afford internets.
  • Muppet you clearly hate EE, but I think the opinion on this server is to keep it. I personally have no desire to spend hour after hour digging through mountains trying to find stuff for simple machines, when I could spend that time designing stuff or building.

I think that a lot of people aren't turned away by EE, but just by life. People have stuff to do, especially now that school has started. I know that I've had a lot of side projects and stuff going on, and that's why I haven't played, not because I don't have things I want to do or make.
  • My primary gripe with EE at this point is that it's stymied my Multiverse plans. It seems especially annoying when if people want Creative mode, we could just give them Creative mode, without breaking other really cool stuff (EE is not just game breaking, which is moot if people want to break the game, but it's badly coded and doesn't support Bukkit conventions properly.)

But it's a circular argument. I conceded 10 or 11 posts ago. Stop piling on! :-D
  • My primary gripe with EE at this point is that it's stymied my Multiverse plans. It seems especially annoying when if people want Creative mode, we could just give them Creative mode, without breaking other really cool stuff (EE is not just game breaking, which is moot if people want to break the game, but it's badly coded and doesn't support Bukkit conventions properly.)

But it's a circular argument. I conceded 10 or 11 posts ago. Stop piling on! :-D
    Eh, I dunno. I don't really want creative mode, because despite my condenser, I still have to figure shit out - like how to build it in the first place, what I need for machinery I might build, where I can get that stuff, etc, etc. My catalog of templates is by no means complete or even terribly comprehensive. It removes one limitation, but I still have plenty of them - it would get genuinely boring if I could just insta-spawn stuff.
  • edited September 2012
    With EE instead of Creative Mode, there's a list of like, maybe 20 things that you need machines to build. It's not that compelling, but I guess it's compelling enough. Even in Creative mode, you could still build your machines just to build them, which really is what you're doing with EE anyway (with those maybe 20 exceptions, maybe fewer.)

Granted with EE you have to go out and find or make one of each thing (until you get a Tome, and then all bets are off.)

If/when EE3 finally comes out, maybe it'll have multi-world support. My impression from what I've read is that it's not the author's priority. He considers it a "feature" to be added rather than a bug to be fixed even though Bukkit has integrated multi-world support into the core framework...
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Need? Nah, man, I just build machines for the fuck of it, pretty much. Like the giant Lava cock that provides a supplementary power source for one of my generators - everything after Lava Cock was pretty much an afterthought.
  • Right, so with Creative you could still do that, is all I'm sayin'. No EE required for that, except to preserve the pretense that you're working for stuff. ;-)
  • True, but I also need samples, processing, and so on. There is fuck all distinction, you're right, but if I have the ability to trivially spawn things, I know I'll use it and then bore myself, despite any self-imposed restrictions. That's the big difference to my play-style - the limits are not self imposed, and breaking them is not merely a matter of "Well, okay, maybe this time."
  • True, but I also need samples, processing, and so on. There is fuck all distinction, you're right, but if I have the ability to trivially spawn things, I know I'll use it and then bore myself, despite any self-imposed restrictions. That's the big difference to my play-style - the limits are not self imposed, and breaking them is not merely a matter of "Well, okay, maybe this time."
    I'm not sure why, but I'm the same way.

EE still feels like you're working towards something instead of spawning it. Even though it seems infinite, there is a limit, and for some reason, I want that.

I'm not sure why, but I'm the same way.

EE still feels like you're working towards something instead of spawning it. Even though it seems infinite, there is a limit, and for some reason, I want that.
    same.
  • The limit is pretty much theoretical, but sure, I guess. I use maybe 4 or 5 redmatter stacks a week from my collection of around 50. I can't spawn HV arrays and... well, I can't think of anything else I'd care about spawning. How many MFSUs do you need after you craft one anyway?

As long as you admit that the distinction is basically imaginary, then fine. :-)
  • edited September 2012
    So after you did the reset, I can't place any blocks and when I press enter in chat, it closes the chat and doesn't appear to send my message. Also, the mobs don't notice me and I can walk into them and nothing happens.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • edited September 2012
    Oh man that's just fantastic. OK hold on let me see what I can do.

EDIT: OK try now?
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Good to know that wasn't just me. I just assumed it was my computer being shit.
  • The limit is pretty much theoretical, but sure, I guess. I use maybe 4 or 5 redmatter stacks a week from my collection of around 50. I can't spawn HV arrays and... well, I can't think of anything else I'd care about spawning. How many MFSUs do you need after you craft one anyway?

As long as you admit that the distinction is basically imaginary, then fine. :-)
    Well, I wouldn't call it imaginary, just very, very small. But, it's enough.

• server has been down for a couple hours nao. booted me while I was doing nothing of consequence.
  • I think it's host related. It was a bit weird last night, too.

I've restarted it just now.
  • nope.. i caused it. happened again. specifically, I put red alloy wire next to a redstone line which was lit & tried to remove it when it didn't light up.
  • edited September 2012
    ...weird. I haven't heard of that glitch/bug before.

I KNOW that Om and I mixed wire with dust/lines in the past.

I restarted the server again.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • thanks. also I keep getting messages about an r17 update
  • I didn't see that last night. I'll check it out this afternoon after my daughter's preschool orientation.

Sorry for the problems today. I don't *think* they're due to any of my tinkers, I removed most of them... ;-)
  • The r17 update is a MAtmos thing. It's a client side mod that makes the crickets chirp and the birds sing. You can ignore the message or try updating MAtmos yourself on your client.
  • ...weird. I haven't heard of that glitch/bug before.
    I KNOW that Om and I mixed wire with dust/lines in the past.
    I do that too. Never had a problem.