This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Inaugural 32nd First Annual FRC Forums Census

edited August 2012 in Forum Stuff
After the talk in the meta forum comments thread, I thought it'd be cool to get some answers to the burning questions. Thus, I whipped up this little gem. I apologize in advance for any typos, all-over-the-place questions or forgotten options.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDRqY0MyS2xCMmRFaVRRSklmclJDSEE6MQ
Post edited by Neito on

Comments

• Is this actually going to be annual? We don't get newcomers that often.
  • Maybe, maybe not. I typed it out before I kinda did any thinking about actually annualness.
  • FIRST ANNUAL? THOSE BOOTS YOU HEAR OUTSIDE YOUR DOOR ARE THE GRAMMAR MARINES.
  • Just watching the results coming in live, it's interesting to see some trends develop. For example, it seems like you either join the forums right away, or wait a long amount of time.

Also, I'm really interested to find the person who spends 15+ hours a week playing video games, reading books, watching anime, and playing board games/RPGs. I want your life, whoever you are.
  • It's hard to answer these questions, since it varies widely from week to week. The audiobook /book reference made me laugh. you should have a box for "what else should we ask"
  • Oh, that's me.

You don't want my life.

And I do some of those things simultaneously.
  • It is not that hard to get 20+ hours. I play usually from 10pm-2am almost every day.
  • edited August 2012
    I don't think that "first annual" is a grammar problem per se, but using it would imply that you already have plans (or at least strongly intend) for it to be annual. In this case, a more appropriate term would be "inaugural".
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • It's hard to answer these questions, since it varies widely from week to week. The audiobook /book reference made me laugh. you should have a box for "what else should we ask"
    Take it as a generic, average week, what you consider that to be. Launch week of CS:GO is probably not the time to ask a question about "Average video game playing time", I suppose.
  • edited August 2012
    Some interesting results so far:

Nobody has defined themselves as a geek of only one geekery.

Only two people have gone as low as two different types of geekery, and both were over 30.

Most respondents have between 3 and 5 different brands of geekery they enjoy.

The outlier listed nine different geekeries they enjoyed.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Made me realize how little I watch anime nowadays, don't find that many shows good enough. I have become a jaded old man.
  • Made me realize how little I watch anime nowadays, don't find that many shows good enough. I have become a jaded old man.
  • I did it!
  • Apparently I live in North America excluding the above. If you're going to have granularity on parts of the US you may as well include all parts of the US.
  • It was hard to answer the hour questions because I'm usually focused on something different on a week-to-week basis. Lately I've been playing a lot of video games (mostly CS) and board games, but if I start watching an anime that I really like I'm liable to spend ten hours finishing that in lieu of other things. I also go through periods where I don't play video games at all and I just watch stuff or read. I answered based on what I'm up to this week specifically.
  • edited August 2012
    Also, for future reference, there is a time gap between "less than an hour" and "2-3 hours".
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • Apparently I live in North America excluding the above. If you're going to have granularity on parts of the US you may as well include all parts of the US.
    The problem with that is, as far as I can tell, there's many many more people here from the US than any one single place else. When I left, more people had answered United States East Coast than the rest of the world combined.
  • I did it even though I barely post. Team 2012!

Filling it out made me realize I play more video games and read less than I think I do.
  • The problem with that is, as far as I can tell, there's many many more people here from the US than any one single place else. When I left, more people had answered United States East Coast than the rest of the world combined.
    Not sure I put my issue out there very well. Basically I live in Texas, which is nominally a part of the US. None of the categories of United States (*) include it. In fact most of the South and West parts of the US are "North America (excluding above)" which comes off as a little odd since you have specifiers for other parts of the US. It feels like you were going for east coast/west coast/other but gave east coast/west coast/midwest/other.

• He's probably east coast and doesn't see any reason to distinguish between "that middle part".
  • It was hard to answer the hour questions because I'm usually focused on something different on a week-to-week basis. Lately I've been playing a lot of video games (mostly CS) and board games, but if I start watching an anime that I really like I'm liable to spend ten hours finishing that in lieu of other things. I also go through periods where I don't play video games at all and I just watch stuff or read. I answered based on what I'm up to this week specifically.
    Yeah, this. Last summer was a big summer for comics with me. This summer, it's board games (I've bought at least six). Things wax and wane.

• Yeah, I'm in Texas too, and I just put Midwest, because I figured they meant "other" and/or "the middle part".
  • He's probably east coast and doesn't see any reason to distinguish between "that middle part".
    Wait just one minute. Are you saying there are other parts?

• The problem with that is, as far as I can tell, there's many many more people here from the US than any one single place else. When I left, more people had answered United States East Coast than the rest of the world combined.
    Not sure I put my issue out there very well. Basically I live in Texas, which is nominally a part of the US. None of the categories of United States (*) include it. In fact most of the South and West parts of the US are "North America (excluding above)" which comes off as a little odd since you have specifiers for other parts of the US. It feels like you were going for east coast/west coast/other but gave east coast/west coast/midwest/other.

As an east coaster, Texas just seems like another part of the Midwest to me. And to be fair, you probably don't really draw a distinction between the northeast and new England. Its just an odd location based bias.
  • edited August 2012
    Wow, I suddenly feel ancient. Not that I'm actually old, but I just scanned through the Geeknights archives and realized that I started listening in late 2006.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited August 2012

As an east coaster, Texas just seems like another part of the Midwest to me. And to be fair, you probably don't really draw a distinction between the northeast and new England. Its just an odd location based bias.
    I missed the region question. I'm in the actual Midwest (Minnesota), not the default of East Coast.

Would it be useful to know whether people listen to the archives or not?
    Post edited by lalanl on
    Yeah, this. Last summer was a big summer for comics with me. This summer, it's board games (I've bought at least six). Things wax and wane.

This is why writing questionnaires that accurately depict any demographic is a major pain in the ass.
  • As an east coaster, Texas just seems like another part of the Midwest to me. And to be fair, you probably don't really draw a distinction between the northeast and new England. Its just an odd location based bias.
    Except New England is at least part of the North East, whereas Texas is in no way part of the Midwest. The Midwest is a specific region that neither includes the South or the West.
  • My problem is that I spend about 50-60 hour per week on my geekeries, but almost no time at all on any of the others you wanted time for (except reading).
  • Your age groups suck. I hate you.