This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Inaugural 32nd First Annual FRC Forums Census

Comments

• Ro, Luke is one hell of an exception to the norm, me thinks.

• No, I'm referring to the Google Docs.

It's in small groupings at first, but when you get to 30s, it's in 10s. I was talking to Nate.
  • Ah, yeah. And 22 is in two groups.
  • As is 25.
  • No, I'm referring to the Google Docs.

It's in small groupings at first, but when you get to 30s, it's in 10s. I was talking to Nate.
    I was dividing it up by, basically, pre high school, early high school, late high school, college, post college, and then every 10 year mark beyond that.

The "ages in two groups" thing was just me being stupid and sleep deprived.
  • It's in small groupings at first, but when you get to 30s, it's in 10s.
    It's not so crazy when you consider that age brackets used by marketing people are like 13-17, 18-24, 25-34, 35-44, 45-54, 55-64, and 65+.
  • It makes me feel that much older. I like your brackets better.
  • If I had my way it would be 30-????
  • And boom, submitted.
    I considered doing 30 to death, but thought that was too obvious.
  • edited August 2012
    I'm surprised you didn't ask for income, job status, school status, and things like that because then I can be all like "Hahaha. I have money and you young bitches don't!"
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I'm probably going to use the data I'm getting today, plus more carefully written questions, to make a better census sometime after the new year, with more varied and interesting data.
    I considered doing 30 to death, but thought that was too obvious.
    That's 40 and death.
  • Alright. New responses have slowed to a trickle. I'm probably going to report results later today or tomorrow. There's some interesting data here.
  • Hmm. Interesting that you would do this.
  • Not really. I was considering the doing the same thing a while ago. I might still have the form up...
  • According to a couple random anime, if you're over 17, you don't have any magic power anymore anyway, so fuck your life.
  • edited August 2012
    According to a couple random anime, if you're over 17, you don't have any magic power anymore anyway, so fuck your life.
    Lyk dis if you're a strong international assassin who don't need no magic power.

Post edited by Churba on
  • According to a couple random anime, if you're over 17, you don't have any magic power anymore anyway, so fuck your life.
    It's always made up for by sheer manliness.
  • RESULTS! This link should work!

First off, we got 79 people to respond to the survey. While I can make some educated guesses as to who's who, most of them I wouldn't know from Adam.

In terms of age range, we're pretty evenly spread from College up to about 40, with the highest concentration in the 25-30 age bracket (27%). No member of the forum is under 16 or over 40, and only 3% of us are over 40.

The majority of us live on the east coast of the United States (58%), though some of us live in the Midwest (10%) or the west coast (11%). Foreign types mostly live in Europe (6%) or Canada (5%). Only 21% of respondents reported being from anywhere but the US.

Getting down to our geekeries, the overwhelming majority of us consider ourselves Video Game geeks (86%), Computer Geeks (72%), or Anime geeks (68%). Science is also a passion of most of us (63%), as are Board Games (54%) and RPGs (44%). Comics seem to have a ways to go before being accepted by most of us (37%), being the last Geekery with more than 25% of respondents. Interesting is that 41% of people consider themselves a geek of something other than the "traditional" geekeries.

Getting to GeekNights information, 2005 and 2007 were banner years for GeekNights, with 23% of respondents for each of those two years. Beyond that, 2008 (16%) and 2006 (14%) brought in the most new blood, with every year since '08 bringing in single digit precentages of new listeners. Also interesting is that 3% of us browse the forum without ever having listened to GeekNigts. The majority of us who are on the forums still listen to the show, as well (61%).

The forum has been remarkably consistant in drawing people each year; the highest grossing year (2006, with 19% of forumites) is only about 13% higher than the lowest grossing year (2009, 6%), with most years bringing in about 10%-15% of the current active forum population.

Outside of the forum, nearly all of us are in the Steam group (76%). Social media has a Mid to low penetration in Forumites; Facebook (41%) and Twitter (42%) seem to be the way most people prefer to keep up. The email newsletter is getting some traction (39%), and seems to be more popular than the Google+ page (35%).

Getting to demographic information, it seems that the plurality of us are deprived of conventions (33% of respondents "don't go to those type of conventions"). After that, it's all downhill: 27% of us go to only one con, 14% go to two, 11% go to three, 4% go to four, 3% each go to five or six, and a few lucky bastards (4%) go to 7 or more conventions in a single year.

Similarly, few of us seem to have time for board games: 27% don't play board games at all, with most of those who do play them playing for less than an hour a week (29% of respondents). None of us play more than 20 hours of board games in a week, but some of us (15-20 hours: 1%) do come close.

Video games are more clearly accepted in this group: only 4% of us play no games at all, with another 5% playing less than an hour. Most of us who do play games tend to binge: 21% of us play for 7 to 10 hours a week, with a few (10%) claiming 20 or more hours of gaming in a 7 day period.

The Dread Spectre of Moe seems to be taking a drain on those of us who watch anime; Almost half of us watch no anime (13%) or less than an hour (36%) in a week. We seem to otherwise practice moderation in Anime: 30% of us watch 2-3 hours, 13% of us watch 3-5 hours, and none of us watch more than 10 hours in a week.

Comics also have taken a hit: Most of us read no comics (28%) or less than an hour a week (38%). After that, the numbers drop like steps in a staircase: 20% of us read comics for 2-3 hours a week, and 11% of us spend 3-5 hours on the task. Only 4% of us spend more than 5 hours a week reading sequential art.

That said, the literacy rate of the forum is pretty nice: while 5% of us admit to not reading books at all, a majority of us read for 2-3 (26%) or 3-5 (26% again) hours a week, with 26% of us dropping more than 5 hours in a week into a book. While video game seem to be a stronger passion for us (fewer people don't play video games, and those that do play tend to play them longer), reading seems to be an irremoveable background item in our culture.
  • In terms of funny responses to the "other" prompts, apparently one of you is living in Scott's sock drawer, and another of you is finding the ability to levitate, as you spend some time staring in their windows at night.

Multiple people put down that they were "Martial Arts Geeks", which I find interesting, and makes me wonder what I'm missing, not having studied them.

One person put down "God", which makes me wonder if they are themselves God, or if they're just geeky about God.

One of you is also apparently a "Sex geek", which I didn't find odd or funny, but certainly worth mentioning.

Only one of you of you views yourself via a single dimension of geekery; most people answered with about 4 or 5 labels. Many people went as high as nine; a quick glance gives me about 3 or 4 such multifaceted people.

One of you had trouble reading the phrase "non-forum places" for one of the questions, and told me you were a forum member. I have no way to figure out who, so unless you're silly and out yourself here, your shame will go un-noticed.
  • I curious of sex geek refers to just an interest in sex, sex as a hobby, or someone actually studying sex.
  • I curious of sex geek refers to just an interest in sex, sex as a hobby, or someone actually studying sex.
    The best study is field study. ^_~

• Multiple people put down that they were "Martial Arts Geeks", which I find interesting, and makes me wonder what I'm missing, not having studied them.
    The unending complexity of self-mastery through the study of combat.
  • Multiple people put down that they were "Martial Arts Geeks", which I find interesting, and makes me wonder what I'm missing, not having studied them.
    The unending complexity of self-mastery through the study of combat.
    Word. Also included - biomechanics, simple physics, a touch of psychology. And it's super fun.

• edited August 2012
    Damn, would've liked to participate in this. The results are pretty interesting. If you do this again next year, could you leave the poll open for more than one day so that people who only check the forum once every few days get a chance to answer? :(
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited August 2012
    If you do this again next year, could you leave the poll open for more than one day
    Post edited by Matt on
  • If you do this again next year, could you leave the poll open for more than one day
    Lol yeah, I just went to fill it in.

• Bumping for a re-do three years later. So far I'm just fixing all the questions for the modern era (including myterrible overlapping age ranges). So, I ask you: What information, if any, do you want to know about your fellow forumites? So far the questions are:

How old are you?
    Where do you live?
    What kind of geek are you?
    How long have you been listening to GeekNights?
    WHen did you start being active on the forums?
    Where else are you active (YouTube, Twitter, Steam, etc.)?
    Do you listen to GeekNights regularly?
    How many cons do you attend in a year?
    How much do you play video games?
    How much do you play Board games?
    How much do you watch anime?
    How much do you read comics?
    How much do you read books?

That's about the limit for what I consider "interesting" information off the top of my head, but post ideas for questions so I can expand this.
  • Shouldn't one of the questions be are you religious? or a Theist or Atheist as per other conversation?