This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Inaugural 32nd First Annual FRC Forums Census

Comments

• As you request, so it shall be.
  • How old are you? - 30
    Where do you live? - NJ
    What kind of geek are you? - "Too many hobbies" geek. Gaming, making, writing, etc.
    How long have you been listening to GeekNights? - Since 2010
    When did you start being active on the forums? - Around same time. I found GeekNights when doing prep for my PAX East 2010 trip. I later met Rym & Scott at NerdNYC events and joined the forums.
    Where else are you active (YouTube, Twitter, Steam, etc.) - Very active on Twitter. I produce a YouTube video on rare occasion.
    Do you listen to GeekNights regularly? - Yes. It is one of two podcasts that skip my queue and I listen to immediately on my next morning commute. The other is Wired's GameLife podcast b/c Chris Kohler is a very smart man.
    How many cons do you attend in a year? 2-3
    How much do you play video games? - I play about 25 games in a year. I beat most of them, but I rarely every play a game for more than 10 hours now. I love the idea of online multiplayer but I haven't gotten into playing a game long-term in years.
    How much do you play Board games? - Not as often as I'd like. I try to have tabletop days at least twice a month but it doesn't always happen. I also have a few weeknight board game groups near my house now, which I can drop in on anytime. I try to go to X-Wing Miniatures Game tournaments at least a few times per year, and have won a handful.
    How much do you watch anime? - Only here and there. I rarely watch TV aside from when I am working out. I watch an episode per workout until I kill a series. I have casually watched anime on and off for most of my life, so I've seen a lot, but have probably also missed out on some classics.
    How much do you read comics? - I currently follow Hawkeye and Saga. I get all my comics from the library in trade form, so I am on a bit of a delay. In addition to those series, I usually shotgun one
    How much do you read books? - Very slowly at the moment. I try to read every night but it is usually only a few pages before I doze off. Currently reading some autobiography of a Marine Corps nurse.
  • Matt said:

How old are you? - 30
    Where do you live? - NJ
    What kind of geek are you? - "Too many hobbies" geek. Gaming, making, writing, etc.
    How long have you been listening to GeekNights? - Since 2010
    When did you start being active on the forums? - Around same time. I found GeekNights when doing prep for my PAX East 2010 trip. I later met Rym & Scott at NerdNYC events and joined the forums.
    Where else are you active (YouTube, Twitter, Steam, etc.) - Very active on Twitter. I produce a YouTube video on rare occasion.
    Do you listen to GeekNights regularly? - Yes. It is one of two podcasts that skip my queue and I listen to immediately on my next morning commute. The other is Wired's GameLife podcast b/c Chris Kohler is a very smart man.
    How many cons do you attend in a year? 2-3
    How much do you play video games? - I play about 25 games in a year. I beat most of them, but I rarely every play a game for more than 10 hours now. I love the idea of online multiplayer but I haven't gotten into playing a game long-term in years.
    How much do you play Board games? - Not as often as I'd like. I try to have tabletop days at least twice a month but it doesn't always happen. I also have a few weeknight board game groups near my house now, which I can drop in on anytime. I try to go to X-Wing Miniatures Game tournaments at least a few times per year, and have won a handful.
    How much do you watch anime? - Only here and there. I rarely watch TV aside from when I am working out. I watch an episode per workout until I kill a series. I have casually watched anime on and off for most of my life, so I've seen a lot, but have probably also missed out on some classics.
    How much do you read comics? - I currently follow Hawkeye and Saga. I get all my comics from the library in trade form, so I am on a bit of a delay. In addition to those series, I usually shotgun one
    How much do you read books? - Very slowly at the moment. I try to read every night but it is usually only a few pages before I doze off. Currently reading some autobiography of a Marine Corps nurse.

I'm gonna put up a google form so that I can more easily aggrigate the data. :3
  • Political stance seems like it would be a good question to have. Not partisan, since I think everyone's either Democrat or 3rd party, but general ideology. That seems to come up a lot on here.
  • Greg said:

Political stance seems like it would be a good question to have. Not partisan, since I think everyone's either Democrat or 3rd party, but general ideology. That seems to come up a lot on here.

What would be the options for that? I don't wanna limit it to American stuff, but some discreet categories would help.
  • How old are you? 18
    Where do you live? BC, Canada
    What kind of geek are you? Computer mostly
    How long have you been listening to GeekNights? Around 5-6 years
    When did you start being active on the forums? July 2008 is what my account date says, but I was pretty inactive for the first little while.
    Where else are you active (YouTube, Twitter, Steam, etc.)? Steam, Reddit
    Do you listen to GeekNights regularly? Not as much anymore
    How many cons do you attend in a year? 0 :(
    How much do you play video games? Fairly often
    How much do you play Board games? Not as often as I'd like
    How much do you watch anime? Same as above
    How much do you read comics? I read a bit of Scott Pilgrim and some Ironman comics but that's about it
    How much do you read books? Not as much as I'd like
    Do you religion? No
    What are your political views? Leftist
  • How old are you? 30
    Where do you live? New England, USA
    What kind of geek are you? technology & board game geek, also into making & gardening
    How long have you been listening to GeekNights? I became aware of GN in 2009/2010
    When did you start being active on the forums? Am I active on the forums?
    Where else are you active (YouTube, Twitter, Steam, etc.)? Reddit, Twitter, this & that. I mostly lurk.
    Do you listen to GeekNights regularly? Not really, unless the topic is relevant to me.
    How many cons do you attend in a year? 3 CTCon, Magfest, PAX-E (sometimes)
    How much do you play video games? I have to ration it.
    How much do you play Board games? Weekly
    How much do you watch anime? Not much, I'm a laggard
    How much do you read comics? ditto
    How much do you read books? A lot, every day. I eat them very quickly. Always hungry.
    Do you religion? No. But I practice secular meditation & cultural buddhism + shinto. And scare people with insightful tarot card readings.
    Political views? I'd live in a nordic country, if they weren't so cold.
  • Wait for the Google form before answering the questions, people! The questions aren't even finalised yet.
  • Should there be a question about ethnicity? Maybe country of origin in addition to place of residence? Level of Eduction? Current Occupation? Perhaps you could simplify the "how much do you [do x]" into a single input.
  • Prior professions or trades if occupations are going in maybe?
  • Why did I think Matt was older than I am? With HungryJoe on hiatus I am probably the oldest active forum member.
  • Wait for the Google form before answering the questions, people! The questions aren't even finalised yet.

It's enjoyable reading it here, though.
  • You should add the question if they listen to podcasts made by forumites (eg. ATW9K, FNPL, etc).
  • edited February 2015
    How old are you? 32
    Where do you live? North of The Wall
    What kind of geek are you? A geeky one
    How are you so awesome? I just do my thing, and people find it awesome.
    No, but seriously Pete, how are you that sexy? I can't help it - I was born this way.
    C'mon, don't be like that. I...wait a minute, that's not a question.
    No, it's not. STOP IT!
    Unfortunately, solipsism - so I win. But you're me!
    THEN WHO WAS PHONE?
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Keep the question suggestions coming!
    chaosof99 said:

Perhaps you could simplify the "how much do you [do x]" into a single input.

I'd just collapse them into ranges anyway. This way, they're in a standard format for me, so that they're more easily compiled.
  • edited February 2015
    How old are you? 31
    Where do you live? Near-ish Albany, NY
    What kind of geek are you? Advanced Level Geekery in Theater, Music, Politics (with Wonkish tendencies), Feminism/Social Equality (cross cultural, historical, and current), Education, and Literary Arts; Intermediate Level Geerkery in Dance, KDrama, Anime, and Film; Novice Geekery in Board Games, Video Games (unless it is the Dragon Age series, in which case, I am a walking wiki), and Manga
    How long have you been listening to GeekNights? Since before it was a podcast.
    When did you start being active on the forums? I was more active in the early days. Now I just read a lot of threads without comment.
    Where else are you active (YouTube, Twitter, Steam, etc.)? Twitter on occasion, Facebook (though I mostly just post articles I find), Google+ rarely, some paralegal forums, two feminist forums, and a music forum.
    Do you listen to GeekNights regularly? Nope. I listen to episodes on topics that pique my interest. However, I have watched most of the video content Rym and Scott produce related to GeekNights.
    How many cons do you attend in a year? It used to be 3-4; now it is just 1, because I prefer going on a "real" vacation and just having people over to play games and geek out.
    How often/how many hours do you play video games? It probably averages out to an hour a week. I will play through a game in one burst, and then not play any games for a few months.
    How often do you play Board games? A couple of times a month.
    How often do you watch anime? In occasional spurts. I will watch all of a show in a couple of weeks and then not watch any anime for several months. However, I could re-watch Utena once or twice a year, if I had the time to revisit an anime that frequently.
    How often do you read comics? I read online comics daily and manga/other print comics a couple of times a year. If I lived close to Scott Rubin again, I would borrow more from his collection to read. Unfortunately, he is a couple of hours away, so I can't benefit from his excellent selection followed by engaging conversations anymore. ;_;
    How often do you read books? I read print books (fiction and non-fiction) and e-books (fiction and non-fiction) and/or listen to audiobooks (fiction) almost daily. Lately, I've been on a poetry kick.
    What religion are you? None
    Political views? My political ideals are most fully expressed in Ursula K. Le Guin's novel entitled The Dispossessed.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Did I miss it?
  • No it hasn't even started yet.
  • We're just pre-gaming.
  • Alright, since there's no more questions, i'm going to make it live.

If you have an issue with a question, lemme know ASAP so it affects the fewest number of responses possible.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1guiLQVNdsM8wAt9ibsNJpoCM_AqxuFnMqMPR8UhxZ9M/viewform
  • You could do with a "I rarely (Blah) (Media/entertainment type)" - For example, on any given week, I propably don't watch anime, but I do watch anime from time to time.

Also, a trade certification and vocational education option in the educational section wouldn't go astray.
  • Just a bump for some fresh responses. Preliminary data is interesting. Some nifty trends:

1) Not going to Conventions and playing lots of video games seem fairly intertwined, until you get to the extreme level: all three non-convention-goers play at least three, but not more than 10 hours of video games in a week. Everyone who plays more than 10 hours of video games in a week goes to at least one convention.

2) Comics and Manga are the most ignored geekery: 4 respondants don't read them at all, and the majority that do read less than an hour of comics a day.

3) Reading continues to be the most consistant geekery. Everyone reads, at least a little bit, and most devote 2+ hours to the pursuit.

4) I dunno who I'm more impressed with; the guy who reads for 15-20 hours, or the guy who games for 20+ hours.
  • yup, Churba is right. On a week by week basis, I don't read comics, and I don't play board games, and I don't play non-phone and tablet games. But then once a month or every three months I'll blitz those, and read through loads of comics, or have a biardgaming weekend, or play through a 40 hour video game.

Weekly geek quotas are just too fine.

Then again, I would certainly not consider myself a geek in those areas. These days I watch way more gaming on YouTube than I play myself.
  • Churba said:

Also, a trade certification and vocational education option in the educational section wouldn't go astray.

True. Even with my crazy geologist salary; it will take me another few years to catch up with my peers whom opted for trades rather than university qualifications.
    There is a lot more money in plumbing and carpentry than most realise; those trades can also take you to some unique locations
  • Just reminding everyone this is a thing.
  • Casa Vino said:

Churba said:

True. Even with my crazy geologist salary; it will take me another few years to catch up with my peers whom opted for trades rather than university qualifications.
    There is a lot more money in plumbing and carpentry than most realise; those trades can also take you to some unique locations
    It annoys me to no end how the trades are so often overlooked as a viable career path.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Casa Vino said:

Churba said:

It annoys me to no end how the trades are so often overlooked as a viable career path.
    They are quite commonly respected in Australia.
  • edited March 2015
    sK0pe said:

HMTKSteve said:

Casa Vino said:

Churba said:

They are quite commonly respected in Australia.
    Maybe out in the post-schooling world, but I remember going through school the messaging was very much "If you don't go to university, you're a failure and will never go anywhere in life, trades are for people who can't handle getting a degree, your OP score will determine the rest of your life."

Post edited by Churba on