This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google news has gone EVIL.

Comments

• I have two switches, plus the router. One switch has the NAS and all the PCs in the studio. The other is in the livingroom by the HTPC.
  • I was in the minority that used the hand free voice search feature as I had become accustomed to doing voice searches on my phone.
  • sK0pe said:

I was in the minority that used the hand free voice search feature as I had become accustomed to doing voice searches on my phone.

• So Google is combining Android and Chrome OS which seems to have a number of rumours.
    Hopefully the new Google OS adds the update and security of Chrome OS and build up Android from scratch.

It is most likely in response to the variable updates from different manufacturers and in the US where telecos also control updates.

If they are super devoted (as the new OS will also run on desktop) they will explore input and controls that build up on keyboard and mouse inputs).

Android is already pretty crazy you can run it on a desktop currently and you can add a mouse and USB peripherals via the mini USB port on any phone.
  • sK0pe said:

So Google is combining Android and Chrome OS which seems to have a number of rumours.

http://www.informationweek.com/software/operating-systems/android-chrome-os-merger-why-it-makes-sense/a/d-id/1323025
    Google has not confirmed reports that it intended to merge Chrome OS and Android.
  • So, turns out Android 5.1.1 is soft-bricking some phones, and locking them into a boot loop. No consistency across phones just yet, either, so nothing much known to watch out for.
  • Churba said:

So, turns out Android 5.1.1 is soft-bricking some phones, and locking them into a boot loop. No consistency across phones just yet, either, so nothing much known to watch out for.

Um... Okay...
    I thought Android was up to version 6 now.
  • edited November 2015
    Daikun said:

Churba said:

So, turns out Android 5.1.1 is soft-bricking some phones, and locking them into a boot loop. No consistency across phones just yet, either, so nothing much known to watch out for.

Um... Okay...
    I thought Android was up to version 6 now.
    Marshmallow is currently limited devices, mostly Nexus and LG devices at this point, though last I checked was about a week ago.

Also, Welcome to Australian phone carriers. My current carrier is the fastest for OTA updates, coming in at usually 5-6 months behind schedule, with some exceptions. My previous carrier was more than 18 months behind.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

-looks down from the glorious heaven of having had 6.0 for a while now-
  • There is, thank god, some stuff the Android team is doing to add pressure for OEMs and carriers to update their goddamn phones. It's very exciting.
  • Rym said:

Churba said:

-looks down from the glorious heaven of having had 6.0 for a while now-
    It would be nice, but it would have cost me a LOT more money to change away from the contract I was on, than fucking off all that nonsense and just buying a phone. Which is precisely what I'll do next time, now that my previously excellent contract was changed - it used to be that they had to give me an unlocked, non-company shitware phone instead of the custom company OS, but they finally managed to put a stop to that.

There is, thank god, some stuff the Android team is doing to add pressure for OEMs and carriers to update their goddamn phones. It's very exciting.

It'll be even more exciting if it works.
  • I may well give up 6.0 and deal with Sony bullshit just to have a reasonably sized phone.
  • There is, thank god, some stuff the Android team is doing to add pressure for OEMs and carriers to update their goddamn phones. It's very exciting.

So we won't have to wait for "Google OS"?
    That would be great.
    My current phone is being held at Lollipop and not going up to Marshmalow due to manufacturer constraints. It was cool that it started off on Jellybean release and has kept up with everything but the artificial line to stop upgrading is silly.
  • edited November 2015
    It's not precisely arbitrary: It happens largely because the Android agreements allow OEMs and carriers to make limited modifications to the OS for their phones, so for an update to go through the OEM has to patch the update to work with their changes before sending it to the carrier, who also has to patch it.

And OEMs and carriers are fucking lazy.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • It's all about incentives. They have your money for your phone already, so fuck you. Why should they bother? Customer loyalty? Ha.
  • edited November 2015
    I was debating whether to post this here or in Fuck Police, since it fits both topics. It's pretty funny all the same.

A police officer pulled over a driverless car. Since there was no driver, though, he couldn't issue a ticket.

While it's pretty amusing (and the Google team was pretty chill about it), this proves one sad fact: Driverless cars are slow as fuck.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • The car could probably safely operate at higher speeds, but they capped the speed.
    We’ve capped the speed of our prototype vehicles at 25mph for safety reasons. We want them to feel friendly and approachable, rather than zooming scarily through neighborhood streets.
  • The new Google+ web interface launched to desktop today. Most of you don't care, but I've been working on testing for it for most of the last year, so I'm a bit proud.
  • Already using it.
  • Google has gone...good?

YouTube will finally start rejecting false DMCA claims.

They also recently restored the grid view that everyone missed.
  • I thought G+ was dead?
  • Andrew said:

I thought G+ was dead?

Was it ever truly alive?
  • Daikun said:

They also recently restored the grid view that everyone missed.

I don't care for the grid. I prefer to have chronological things as a nice tidy list.

Also they once again seem to have broken the unseen subscriptions counter.

• G+ is like that sickly childhood friend from long ago that you visit on their birthday or some other special occasion at their stately Manor out in the country.
  • G+ is where you go to have a rational conversation rather than be surrounded by the idiots of Facebook in a UI built for now rather than 5 years ago.

It is now group and community driven which was always the strong point.
  • edited December 2015
    Me and my fiancé went to a restaurant recently and when we got home our android phones had provided us with links to get the menu for this restaurant. We'd not checked in or anything... This creeped out my fiancé who decided that Google had gone too far with the targeted advertising. But we've got to live with things like that if we want the benefits of maps and other location services... Or is there another way to get the benefits but without the intrusive parts?
    Post edited by Totally Guy on