This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fighting Game Collusion

12346»

Comments

• So actually getting a chance to watch that video now I didn't realize it was Daigo. If you watch any of his other videos he seems fairly shy. So I imagine he just doesn't showboat. If you've seen the exhibition video with Lupe Fiasco he just does the same thing, whereas Lupe will stand and flex, etc.
  • Apsup said:

It would be easy to make, but I don't think people would really want it. From what I've seen bigger fighting game events are already too big for the time they have and everything always runs overlong, so adding features to drag things out probably wouldn't be popular.

So, because the tournaments are already badly organized, and could be made smaller, or more streamlined, or have earlier rounds on a previous day, or the less interesting matches played in a different venue at the same time... so because of general incompetent, improvements in other areas shouldn't be made?

Got it!
    Apsup said:

I don't really see any merit in trying to force people to perform and put up a show in addition to playing the game. For people who tend to do it naturally there is more than enough time to show emotions in tournaments.

It isn't about "forcing" people to perform. It's about LETTING them perform. If there is literally only one or two seconds between the end of one round and the start of the next, no player is going to take their hands off the control or look elsewhere!
  • Luke's right on the money: the organization behind fighting game events is baby's first tournament in the best of times. They go long because no one involved knows shit about shit.

As for putting on a show, that's what stars do. That's how you differentiate yourself. When it's not your own body doing the fighting/sporting/whatever, then you need, more than ever, the opportunity to stand out and celebrate.

Fighting game people are largely the Fox only Final Destination no items crowd: no one wants to see that shit except them.
  • I find that most of these players, when interviewed, are entertaining and have interesting things to say...To each other. They are great at talking shop and presenting that information in an amusing way, but only to people also in the know. Very rarely you have someone who is great with crowds and the game. Mango from Smash Bros. is one example, but he's also a dick about it and uses the crowd to psyche out the opponent.

Once we can have players who feed on the crowd *and* players who can ignore the crowd, we can get the push-pull needed to make these games good for uninformed spectators and long-time fans.
  • I would say in fighting games (as they are a best of 3 to a best of 5 based on how far into the tournament). There is time for "popping off" and being emotional between games but not between rounds.

However there's the downside of becoming overconfident and in the Japanese and Korean scenes it is bad manners.
    When Starcraft and Starcraft 2 were in prominence, there were the same complaints that @Luke Burrage is voicing from some viewers, outspoken US players and some commentators. However the less emotional players would win far more regularly.

As far as the fancy camera shots of players with games, only League of Legends does this to an appropriate degree where you can see the player cameras and being able to hear in game communications (such as in replays).

As @Rym noted, the FGC is baby's first so they appear pretty poor but sometimes create some highlight openings, here are some of my favourites.

K-Brad's entry got him on National TV in the US.

Poongko is the most "bad mannered" Korean player, he will often make flashy entries and if he gets angry he's prone to taking his t-shirt off as this is how he practices at home, also always prefers playing on the ground.

You can see in the above clip though that while Poongko seems "robotic" until he wins, as it takes a lot of concentration to play the character he uses at the highest level.

Bonus clip of Dieminion's entrance into a game which needed some assistance from production but paid off.

• My personal favourite has to be Tokido's projector shenanigans (you'll have to excuse the commentators basically ejaculating down their microphones).

• Rym said:

Breaks for celebration
    Breaks for drama
    Sufficient pomp and circumstance
    Penalties (we need flags or cards or something)
    Better taunts and emotes within the games (good players would use them)
    etc...

Day before the big match, all the eSports players gather for a press conference and a weigh-in. On second thought...
  • Geoff said:

My personal favourite has to be Tokido's projector shenanigans (you'll have to excuse the commentators basically ejaculating down their microphones).

Yeah I loved that moment.

Tokido smashed Clakey D so hard that day, Clakey D never got back into the scene.
    Great to see Tokido back winning in Street Fighter 5. He's more serious mode though.
  • As a kinda relevant thing to this thread a documentary about American fighting game community. Nothing too special in it, the barebones history from arcades to current day of big events and some personal stories of players and other people from the scene. Also a shot at audience from some event where there was a dude holding his waifu-bodypillow. I wonder if that really was the best generic audience shot the editor was able to fit in there.