This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Windows 10

Comments

• Windows 2000 Forlife Yo.
  • Anybody use Soulseek back in the day? I always had a problems trying to get any tracks I wanted from it.
  • Anybody use Soulseek back in the day? I always had a problems trying to get any tracks I wanted from it.

Daaamn. Soulseek is where you went for the deep cuts. If you liked dance music, that's where you got mp3 rips of new 12"s.
  • 2bfree said:

Vista was fine after SP1, but by then its reputation killed it for most people.

I agree, I used Windows Vista 64 bit and thought it was great. Windows 7 was just a cleaned up version of Vista SP2. Non Internet news media has too much uneducated, subjective ideas to throw around about technological subjects.

Same thing with Windows 8, sure it had some major missteps with the touch interface but the desktop portion of it works much better than Windows 7. (I use both on separate machines).
  • Does anyone remember Microsoft Bob?

I have never met a person who actually used or saw this mythical operating system.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Bob

• That's because it's not an operating system.
  • I'm sorry, it's an interface to already existing operating systems.
  • Andrew said:
    Hallelujah. That means ten years from now OSX will have an official one, and Apple will act like they invented the idea.
  • Cremlian said:

Windows 2000 Forlife Yo.

• Andrew said:
    It's based on/compatible with an existing package system called Chocolatey. Nice to see them both including it with the system as well as using an established system instead of reinventing the wheel.
  • edited October 2014
    Cremlian said:

Windows 2000 Forlife Yo.

Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I actually installed it on my laptop and, after a few days, I couldn't bring up the start screen/menu and cortana refused to work. I reverted back to 8.1. Do not use this on a production machine.
  • Might consider sticking it in a VM for giggles...
  • From the coverage and descriptions of the Hololens I might pick one up.
    Initially I was not even considering it until a few podcasts I listen to described how the interaction worked.
    Hopefully it will be an acceptable price otherwise I'll wait (as even Bill Gates has said it's a year or so too early).
  • Okay, can we just talk about how insane this is?

This isn't a Nvidia Shield situation where it's powered by a computer somewhere in the house. This is a self contained unit.
    Guys, unlike Google Glass, this is actually Dennou Coil Beta.
  • edited May 2015
    This is fucking awesome, I don't care if it does nothing and fails, give some weed and a Hololens.

Wait can I make my projector as big as I want? Resolution would be the boundary for media. I hope it doesn't cost an insane amount to buy though.

Edit: Do I even need a monitor or projector any more?
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • FOV for Hololense is smaller than you might think...
  • That'll only improve with time. The fact that they have a working device that is this mature that they actually plan to bring to market is what excites me.
  • Hololens would be nice with the wearality sky lenses and a way to integrate it with vehicles for real time driver augmentation.
  • The official release date is July 29. However, Microsoft is offering an early upgrade in the taskbar.

However, there are limitations to upgrading early. See what they are here.
  • As long as they don't bork their updates there's no problem with that except that I still sometimes rip CDs with WMP.
  • You what what with what?
  • edited June 2015
    I think he reached halfway between D and V and pressed C by accident. Still, I'm not sure why he's using such ancient technology.
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • Daikun said:

However, there are limitations to upgrading early. See what they are here.

Eh, I'm losing things I don't use anyway, in exchange for a free legit copy of windows that comes with the limitation that I have to use the Automatic update setting I'm already using, and that I can't access services that I wouldn't be able to use anyway. Can't say I'm that worried.
  • Wait, if I have a pro version of 8, will I be downgraded to the standard 10? Or will I go to 10 pro?
  • edited June 2015

Wait, if I have a pro version of 8, will I be downgraded to the standard 10? Or will I go to 10 pro?

According to the Microsoft page, you'll get 10 Pro.

EDIT: Okay, so I took the plunge and clicked that little icon in the taskbar. It's not an upgrade to Windows 10. It's actually a reservation for the upgrade on July 29. Sorry, guys.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Awesome! My laptop and desktop run free 8.1 pro and free 8 upgraded to 8.1 pro respectively, courtesy of RIT's Dreamspark. Now I can upgrade both to 10 pro, and probably get another free license for 10 pro!