This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Windows 10

Comments

• Poor Scott
  • Apreche said:

Tried using the media creation tool from my Windows 7 PC.

It just errors out and says "Something Happened".

All the tech news sites were talking about how smooth and perfect Windows 10 upgrade was. Seems like it's still beta to me.

I don't have a Win7 machine to try it on, so I can't confirm.
  • Apreche said:

I'm Scott I don't have any problems with computers ever and anyone who does is dumb and it's their own stupid fault.

• Starfox said:

Apreche said:

I'm Scott I don't have any problems with computers ever and anyone who does is dumb and it's their own stupid fault.

• I don't have any problems with my computer. I tested that shit out on a laptop that had no important data on it whatsoever, and my other computers are still working perfectly. Nothing has been fucked up.
  • Poor Scott
  • Has anyone been able to get the Pro edition upgrade? I've tried it twice and it failed both times.
  • edited July 2015
    Daikun said:

Has anyone been able to get the Pro edition upgrade? I've tried it twice and it failed both times.

My laptop and desktop are pro. My HTPC is Home Premium. The laptop is the only one I've attempted. It's working right now, but some things are a bit slow.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I have ultimate because that's the OEM code my mate over at unnamed computer store got me, but I haven't had the rollout roll in yet.
  • I'm honestly willing to pay someone to do all this for me when I get my SSD along with Jeremy's computer when his birthday present comes in the mail. Shhh. It's a secret and he probably doesn't check this thread either because it's not about board games or PAX. :3
  • Starfox said:

Did you use launchy on 7? What's wrong with "hit windows key and type"?

Yeah, launchy is slower than fucking just hitting the Windows key, the key plus typing any program or even file works on my Windows 7.
    I uninstalled launchy years ago.
    Daikun said:

Has anyone been able to get the Pro edition upgrade? I've tried it twice and it failed both times.

All 3 computers in my house are waiting, yay Australian Internet. I should have done what one of my acquaintances did, moved into a neighbourhood where optic fiber had already rolled out.
  • Rochelle said:

I'm honestly willing to pay someone to do all this for me when I get my SSD along with Jeremy's computer when his birthday present comes in the mail. Shhh. It's a secret and he probably doesn't check this thread either because it's not about board games or PAX. :3

You can do it very easily, assuming they've fixed the bugs by then.
  • Apreche said:

Rochelle said:

I'm honestly willing to pay someone to do all this for me when I get my SSD along with Jeremy's computer when his birthday present comes in the mail. Shhh. It's a secret and he probably doesn't check this thread either because it's not about board games or PAX. :3

• Apreche said:

Rochelle said:

Eh. I've somewhat learned to install a new mobo/cpu when I upgraded my computer, but in all honesty I'd rather use my time to do other hobbies. I have friends that can do this and have no problem giving out money to save me time and effort. Yes, learning new things is good, and this is probably worth learning, but I just don't feel like it. Perhaps I'll change my mind because I need to go through my current 3 drives and clean and back up stuff.
  • edited July 2015
    sK0pe said:

Daikun said:

All 3 computers in my house are waiting, yay Australian Internet. I should have done what one of my acquaintances did, moved into a neighbourhood where optic fiber had already rolled out.
    Here's the weird thing for me, though: The download reaches 100%, then it goes into installation mode for a few minutes...then it tells me it failed.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • So, there's one major compelling feature for Win10 if you game:

The XBox Windows 10 app gives you access to "Record That!" in every game. It basically keeps a rolling clip of the last X (user-defined) minutes. When you issue the "Record That" command (win-alt-g by default, or Win-G and click "Record that"), it saves that clip to a folder for you to share to YouTube, etc.
  • Also DX12 is supposed to be amazing, at least in theory.
  • Daikun said:

I got my windows 8.1 pro upgraded in my laptop. Works just fine.
  • Daikun said:

sK0pe said:

Daikun said:

Here's the weird thing for me, though: The download reaches 100%, then it goes into installation mode for a few minutes...then it tells me it failed.
    Are you forcing it? You have to get an absolute yes between host and client :^)
  • sK0pe said:

Are you forcing it? You have to get an absolute yes between host and client :^)

I forced it yesterday on my dad's laptop and it worked just fine.
  • edited July 2015
    Updated last night. There were permissions errors with all my media folders (stored on a separate drive), but once those were fixed it's good.

The new start menu is pretty solid (once you remove the cruft), and things seem generally faster. Waiting for certain apps to update (*ahem* Chrome's window chrome), but it's generally a nice operating system.

EDIT: It would be nice to have a proper media previewing app, though (like OSX's Preview). Windows Photo Viewer wasn't updated for Win10, and opening every single image in Photos when you just want to see something is a colossally dumb idea.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I downloaded the ISO and it finally worked!

I'm so happy now.
  • Daikun said:

I downloaded the ISO and it finally worked!

Now I get to test software on edge....not going to be a good weekend.

• EDIT: It would be nice to have a proper media previewing app, though (like OSX's Preview). Windows Photo Viewer wasn't updated for Win10, and opening every single image in Photos when you just want to see something is a colossally dumb idea.

Did you want something like the preview pane or launching photo editing from the photo application?
  • I'm still waiting for my unofficial Win 10.
  • edited August 2015

I'm still waiting for my unofficial Win 10.

Skip the waiting time and just get the ISO. It's the easiest way to get it.
    Apreche said:

Tried using the media creation tool from my Windows 7 PC.

It just errors out and says "Something Happened".

All the tech news sites were talking about how smooth and perfect Windows 10 upgrade was. Seems like it's still beta to me.

This might help.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • edited August 2015
    Got it, clean install in less than 20 minutes from USB.
    It just works and downloads drivers I need in the background.

Pressing the windows key and typing programs you don't even have as given options is pretty cool.
    Like I wanted to use Notepad++ and forgot I had nothing but there was an option that popped up "download notepad++ 64 bit".

The browser is surprisingly usable and really lightweight, I think I'm going to use Edge and Chrome rather than using Firefox.
    One computer down 3 more to go.

Edit - Also touchscreen controls are incredibly smooth and obvious without being intrusive like in 8
    Post edited by sK0pe on

Installed 10 on the old PC for my mum (previously running 7). no real complaints yet. Seems slower though, and some explorer stalls.
  • Looks like the future to me.