This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Windows 10

15678911»

Comments

• Anniversary update freezes your computer. Has done for me, and I'm pissed. Royally pissed. Avoid installing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/4vufpo/windows_10_fully_freezes_after_anniversary_update/
  • Anniversary update working fine across 6 computers I could walk to from here.

Anyway on another note, I met a person who very strangely is super annoyed by updates to the point that he refuses to install Windows 10, but on top of that keeps rolling his computer back to Windows 8.0. I tried explaining the virtues of Windows 10 but he was not open to having a balanced discussion.

His many gripe was Unity not working. (This issue was solved on the Unity forums last year, I found on my initial Google search).

I then recommended installing Linux and he doesn't want to do Linux because there are updates every few days even on slow release Debian builds. Super strange and closed minded individual. More of a WTF anecdote but remembered it when I started typing here.
  • That's what happens when people view computers with an appliance mindset. Your toaster never changes; why should your computer?
  • I was reluctant to go to 10, but I was very happy with the way Windows 7 was behaving. Some of the "features" in 10 were a huge turn off (blinky, noisy, ad-filled metro window, and very invasive privacy agreement) but find I was able to disable, remove, or otherwise interfere with the invasive or otherwise unwanted bits. I can see reluctance to go to 10..... But not from 8.

8 was a very, very stupid OS.
  • I have Windows 7 on my PC still and Windows 10 on my laptop.

My main issue with Windows 10 is the interface.

Settings vs Control Panel
    Apps vs Programs
    Windows 95 start menu vs Windows 7 start menu

It's jarring. Have one consistent interface instead of a mishmash of 2.

That aside, the real issue, is the latest update has broken itself. I'm having trouble booting to safe mode with an SSD. Not going to touch it till there's an official fix.
  • Dazzle369 said:

I have Windows 7 on my PC still and Windows 10 on my laptop.

My main issue with Windows 10 is the interface.

Settings vs Control Panel
    Apps vs Programs
    Windows 95 start menu vs Windows 7 start menu

It's jarring. Have one consistent interface instead of a mishmash of 2.

That aside, the real issue, is the latest update has broken itself. I'm having trouble booting to safe mode with an SSD. Not going to touch it till there's an official fix.

You can still use the Control Panel for most things in Windows 10 and you can find it in The Start Menu:
    1. Start
    2. All Apps
    3. Windows System
  • I know how to get to the control panel, that wasn't the point I was making.
  • edited August 2016
    You've got a good point too, you shouldn't be splitting the os settings into arbitrarily defined places because one is better for a touch screen interface. If they abolished the control panel and put all of it's functionality into settings > advanced view or something like that, I imagine you'd have no gripe. They just have to be consistent across all interfaces, not arbitrary.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • Some of the "features" in 10 were a huge turn off (blinky, noisy, ad-filled metro window, and very invasive privacy agreement) but find I was able to disable, remove, or otherwise interfere with the invasive or otherwise unwanted bits. I can see reluctance to go to 10..... But not from 8.

8 was a very, very stupid OS.

I don't think you've used Windows 10 from your description, there are no blinky, noisy, ad-filled metro windows.
    The privacy agreement is equivalent to what you get on iOS, Android and MacOS however it is completely upfront.

Windows 8 was not that different an OS, Microsoft was moving towards the touch market too fast for consumers. Windows 8's tile UI has been done before in the Linux Gnome 3 GUI. They work very well if you have a touch screen or are comfortable typing all your command from the keyboard rather than using your mouse for everything.

The primary issue I had with the individual I met was that he wasn't even keeping Windows 8 up to date, so that would be like keeping Windows 7 in a pre SP1 state with none of the security updates going or Linux distribution that is never updated or whatever cat version of MacOS was present in the early 2000s.
  • When I first installed 10, the metro window was an annoying mess. Lot of ads for "apps", animated blinky icons, etc. This was a clean install. I fixed it by nuking every program in the window, uninstalling some bloat, and turning off metro.

Then I went to try out Cortana, and it wanted way to much access to everything, plus had loads of stipulations in the EULA that lets you be it's advertising bitch if they choose to.

I don't want companies to "better advertise" to me on my computer, I want them to not advertise. The amount of information that they had shared by default was jarring and I had to flip a bunch of software switched off

Other than that, works great.
  • So after some Googling in circles, apparently the Anniversary update turns of system restore point, so I can't even roll back.

I can't do a repair install, because the OS freezes.

Safe mode doesn't allow me to even see what updates have been install, because Windows Update doesn't function.

It looks like I will have to do a fresh install. ffs
  • Finally fixed. The official fix from Windows support is to 'Reset'.
  • I have dual monitors running on my GeForce 770. The ultrasharp plugged into display port goes to sleep right after powering on the machine, and isn't detected by windows.

It works if connected via HDMI, so I don't think it's the monitor.

If it's the only monitor connected during boot, I see the windows logo screen for a couple seconds before it goes to sleep, so I don't think it's the cable.

This started after I installed the anniversary update. I've updated drivers, reinstalled drivers, rolled back the anniversary update, nothing works. Any ideas? Hopefully the card isn't busted but that's awfully coincidental timing if so.
  • Starfox said:

I have dual monitors running on my GeForce 770. The ultrasharp plugged into display port goes to sleep right after powering on the machine, and isn't detected by windows.

It works if connected via HDMI, so I don't think it's the monitor.

If it's the only monitor connected during boot, I see the windows logo screen for a couple seconds before it goes to sleep, so I don't think it's the cable.

This started after I installed the anniversary update. I've updated drivers, reinstalled drivers, rolled back the anniversary update, nothing works. Any ideas? Hopefully the card isn't busted but that's awfully coincidental timing if so.

You have to use the process of elimination. Try the monitor on another computer. Try a different cable. Try a different monitor with the same computer.
  • > Try the monitor on another computer.
    Works, but I only have the one displayport hole, so tested via HDMI.

> Try a different cable.
    Works, but again, HDMI.

> Try a different monitor with the same computer.
    Works, HDMI and DVI.

I'm pretty sure everything is capable of working correctly, I get signal for 2-3 seconds on boot. Also, it would seem to be extremely coincidental timing if hardware broke immediately after a major windows update.
  • Starfox said:

> Try the monitor on another computer.
    Works, but I only have the one displayport hole, so tested via HDMI.

> Try a different cable.
    Works, but again, HDMI.

> Try a different monitor with the same computer.
    Works, HDMI and DVI.

I'm pretty sure everything is capable of working correctly, I get signal for 2-3 seconds on boot. Also, it would seem to be extremely coincidental timing if hardware broke immediately after a major windows update.

Seems like you don't have the equipment to test the DisplayPort with another PC or anything. So how about this. Try booting Linux off of a USB stick. If it works, you know you have a software problem.
  • Quick test: turn off ALL power saving features, both in the OS and on the motherboard.
  • I tried a different DisplayPort cable.

It was the DisplayPort cable.

What the hell.
  • Starfox said:

I tried a different DisplayPort cable.

What the hell.

Process of elimination method always works.
  • Apreche said:

Starfox said:

What the hell.

The only exceptions are:

1. The problem is beyond the available possible eliminations (e.g., you don't have a spare CPU)
    2. The problem is conflated within a part you can't subdivide. (e.g., the keyboard controller is itself bad)
    3. The problem is caused by an external and unknown force (e.g., it's a stray current coming in the ground wire, but only when the microwave is running)
    4. Ghosts
  • Rym said:

Apreche said:

Starfox said:

What the hell.

The only exceptions are:

1. The problem is beyond the available possible eliminations (e.g., you don't have a spare CPU)
    2. The problem is conflated within a part you can't subdivide. (e.g., the keyboard controller is itself bad)
    3. The problem is caused by an external and unknown force (e.g., it's a stray current coming in the ground wire, but only when the microwave is running)
    4. Ghosts
    5. PEBKAC
  • The first thing you should always try to eliminate in your process is PEBKAC.
  • Now I'm curious. What might cause a DP cable to fail in general, and what might cause it to stop working after a couple seconds?
  • My first thought is the contacts on one of the plugs getting messed up.
  • Mine too, but it's not like the cable was moving. And it was repeatable - I probably restarted and watched the windows logo for a couple seconds 5 or 6 times. Would that be consistent with a bad connection?
  • I once crimped an Ethernet cable in the most amazingly wrong way ever. It would show a link light, but you couldn't actually send data. A dead cable with a good link light.
  • My life is basically chasing down intermittent or hard to diagnose faults on aircraft electronics that specifically can't be chased down with process of elimination. Sometimes because of technical complexity, sometimes environmental factors (it only shorts out when the board physically flexes because the pilot is pulling a several-g turn!), or the nature of secure environment means anything pulled out for a process of elimination-type repair has to then be retested and re-qualified, at great labor expense.
  • Matt said:

My life is basically chasing down intermittent or hard to diagnose faults on aircraft electronics that specifically can't be chased down with process of elimination. Sometimes because of technical complexity, sometimes environmental factors (it only shorts out when the board physically flexes because the pilot is pulling a several-g turn!), or the nature of secure environment means anything pulled out for a process of elimination-type repair has to then be retested and re-qualified, at great labor expense.

Unlike a consumer, though, you have the luxury of zooming in much more. Checking individual chips, capacitors, traces on boards, etc. A modern PC motherboard is effectively a black box despite being completely exposed.
  • Starfox said:

Now I'm curious. What might cause a DP cable to fail in general, and what might cause it to stop working after a couple seconds?

Had a similar thing with a Dell 27", last year but they replaced it the next day and I didn't seem to go through your hardships.