This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Terrorism in the Modern World

Comments

• I wonder how much money the state has put aside to make this stupid situation seem reasonable.

Can they not just gas them out and drop them with rubber bullets or something like the American Police do everywhere else?

Do you think these guys the Guantanamo Bay treatment afterwards, especially since they don't have any real intelligence to give over to the state?
  • All of them have surrendered and been taken into custody. 7 more were indicted (those who had already left)

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/02/5_more_indicted_in_oregon_refu.html#incart_river_home
  • Well they weren't very committed where they.
  • God damn it.

I met with some of my Turkish colleagues yesterday. =(
  • Turkey is worrying me for a number of reasons.

Not just these types of attacks, but the buying of oil from ISIS https://www.rt.com/news/326567-is-export-oil-turkey/ (http://ig.ft.com/sites/2015/isis-oil/).

On top of that the prospect of Turkey joining European Union; as unstable as things are already, I imagine that to cause more instability.
  • From December 2015

• Brussels...

The city appears to be under lockdown. At least 25 dead. =(
  • RymRym
    edited March 2016
    Reports are that there may have been several attacks at different locations. The government has ordered everyone to stay where they are. Two confirmed explosions: at the airport (pre-security) and at a subway station.

A few stations showed a map with as many as four additional attack sites, but no one is confirming anything along those lines. There appear to be three specific confirmed attacks: two at the airport and one at a distant subway station.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Not confirmed, but it fits the patter of the Islamist nonsense that did the Paris attacks.

1. Suicide bomber (rare/nonexistent except in Islamist attacks)
    2. Occurred right as the police were moving on terror cells in Belgium
  • edited March 2016
    Seems like authorities were on the right path, tracking the terrorists from France to Belgium. It might have spurred thr attack before they were found out and stopped.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • There are been several articles in the last six months talking about how (surprisingly to many) Belgian suburbs are a known hotbed of global extremism.
  • Videos of the aftermaths.
    https://www.rt.com/news/336593-explosions-brussels-video-inside/

Don't even look at the comments. They're an absolute cesspool of trolls, racists, and general unfathomable stupidity.
  • Too late. Hate for humanity at an all-time high.
  • Rym said:

There are been several articles in the last six months talking about how (surprisingly to many) Belgian suburbs are a known hotbed of global extremism.

We have had quite a few reports over here saying that the Belgian security services aren't sharing all the info with the police leading to clues being missed. Seems that this is one of those times.
  • Blasts rocked the departure hall of Brussels’ Zaventem Airport and the city Metro stations, killing over 30 people and injuring more than 230. While the death toll keeps growing, authorities said the attacks are terror bombings and more undetonated homemade bombs are being discovered in security ops.
    https://www.rt.com/news/336527-brussels-airport-terror-bombing/
  • Please stop linking rt. It's trash.
  • No less than any other
  • Dazzle369 said:

No less than any other

Actually, yeah it's a lot worse than others. It's government sponsored propaganda.
  • Russian government sponsored propaganda. Even better.
  • Andrew said:

Dazzle369 said:

No less than any other

Actually, yeah it's a lot worse than others. It's government sponsored propaganda.
    Where is the propaganda? What are you opposed to exactly?
  • Dazzle369 said:

Andrew said:

Dazzle369 said:

No less than any other

Where is the propaganda? What are you opposed to exactly?
    At basically every level of the organization - The Russian government has complete editorial control over RT. It was designed from the ground up to be an efficient, modern propaganda stream for the Russian government.

It's not a matter of "Is this particular article propaganda?" It's a matter of "Am I legitimizing this outlet by sharing their content?" It's the articles like this where they might not have a pro-russian or anti-west line(yet) to push that lend them the legitimacy that makes it easier for them to have people swallow the propaganda pieces without questioning.
  • Just had an update security brief here at work.

The Belgians are tracking over 218 known bad guys. They are a small intel service, they aren't the FBI or the CIA. Overwhelmed by the sheer number of the bad guys and they freedom of movement they have is the order of the day there.
  • I'll avoid RT in the future. Didn't know about the source.
  • @Churba The pro-russian stance isn't even a problem. Russia is no less evil than any other industrialised nation. The point is western media will only give you one perspective and actually if you listen and read RT articles you can have a more complete opinion.

As opposed to just reading from essentially 1 bias. RT is contrary to western media, but maybe by like 1%. They are mostly all the same.

BBC news has been accused more times than not of being controlled by the UK government. That's why I prefer the Independent or the Guradian.

American news... recommendations?

TLDR: RT news=slightly alternate perspective
  • edited March 2016
    Dazzle369 said:

As opposed to just reading from essentially 1 bias. RT is contrary to western media, but maybe by like 1%. They are mostly all the same.

If you're reading decent outlets, that's simply not an issue. The truth and accurate reporting don't have signifigant bias, they have fact, and fiction.

Of course, that's boiling down a long, long talk about it to a paragraph-or-less, I could go on to the point of tediousness about media bias. I'd rather spread the tediousness over multiple topics, there is well enough to go around.
    Dazzle369 said:

BBC news has been accused more times than not of being controlled by the UK government. That's why I prefer the Independent or the Guardian.

Having worked at one time or another with all three, I can give you my personal guarantee that they're not. At least, any more than any other UK outlet, considering the UK government's occasionally troubled relationship with the press.

Which is a little different to RT which was, again, created from the ground up by the Russian government to be an efficient, modern, international propaganda machine.
    American news... recommendations?
    Buzzfeed(Deal with it), Christian Science monitor(despite the name), Guardian's American desk, NYT, The Economist, Reuters, PBS, AP, Foreign Affairs, DW, France 24, to name a few.
    TLDR: RT news=slightly alternate perspective
    See, here's what you're not understanding - The "Slightly alternate perspective" is literally just twisting the facts to suit an agenda. It might not seem so important to you, but when that slightly alternate perspective is, say, "Germany is a Failed state and the west is crumbling", that's straight up crazy-people bullshit. Or perhaps, "We didn't invade the Ukraine, they started it, and all the protestors are actually plants by the US government", which is slightly alternate to the view of literally the entire rest of the world. Or "There's no alcoholism problem in Russia"(Literally within the same week as the russian PM introduced legislation to try and curb russia's enormous problem with alcoholism), or demanding that staff invent quotes for US veterans saying things like "I served my country, and now all I have is this softball game", or that sending a pro-Russia activist and ambassador's daughter to interview said ambassador is an acceptable thing to do.

To save going on further, let's just say there are very, very good reasons that having RT on your resume makes it very hard to get picked up by any serious outlet.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited March 2016
    NPR is a pretty solid US news choice if you like it delivered in audio form. They also offer tons of podcasts.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • Dazzle369 said:

Russia is no less evil than any other industrialised nation.

lel