This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Are we heading for another depression?

Comments

• edited March 2009
    Funny. Now that Obama is president, these things all of the sudden cease to matter. Speaks volumes.

My main hope for Obama was that he'd improve the economy and end the Iraq war. I'm no expert, but Wall St. thinks that he's failing at economic recovery. He's impotent at best.

Pretty cavalier to be "bored" by such a thing. Maybe I'm just less myopic than most. Whether or not I'm affected, I have compassion for the millions that have been hurt by this recession. You should have compassion too.

I've had enough of the Bush economy. I just never thought that, under Obama, there would be a declination. Let's just hope that this is a hiccup. Let's hope that he'll show leadership through action, and not mere rhetoric. Whatever happens, constantly lowering the bar isn't an answer.

The good news is that things will get better. The only question is when. I just don't want to see Obama delay an inevitable recovery. When the market drops every time Obama speaks, something isn't working.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I'm sorry, Kilarny, but did this thread suddenly become the economy? It seems like you have a problem understanding subjects and direct objects and such. Both Luke and I feel this thread is boring, due to the way it's spiraled into another petty knock-around between certain people. This thread has hardly a goddamned thing to do with the economy anymore. But if you want to go and be all straw-man-y about it, be my guest.
  • edited March 2009
    The thread is entitled: "Are we heading for another depression?" I mentioned that the stock market is falling and falling.

Take a look at what event happened at the beginning of the last depression. (Hint: You'll find it in any elementary school US history book. Hint #2: Look for the year 1929.) Now tell me that my concern isn't topical.

I know. Once Obama gets mentioned, all conversation must cease. Sorry for hoping that he would stop the slide in the stock market. Think this through, Jason. If the recession worsens, what will it turn into? The answer is in the thread title. Mentioning that things have worsened under our new leadership is as topical as you can get.

But the goalposts keep being moved...

And one more thing... When you make comments in this thread such as:
    Mole people and lizard men working together in unison to create a post-apocalyptic wasteland wherein they can build a newer, scalier society.
    Or...
    Oregon Trail online. You are welcome.
    You should be ashamed of such blatant hypocrisy. See how the rules are vastly different for certain members of this forum? What an unbelievably clear example. I expected better from you, Jason.
  • Who run Bartertown?
    That's brilliant, Ro.
  • Killarny, here's a hint: maybe my comment had nothing to do with Obama, and maybe it had nothing to do with your post either. Maybe it had to do with certain characters knocking each other back and forth in predictable way at tedious length. These characters get into debate after debate. Surely they know by now how their conversations will turn out, because the rest of us forumites are mouthing along with the words at this point.
  • You should be ashamed of such blatant hypocrisy. See how the rules are vastly different for certain members of this forum? What an unbelievably clear example. I expected better from you, Jason.
    I AM ASHAMED! I AM ASHAMED! Oh the sackcloth I must adorn and the ashes I must pour on my head! I must lie prostrate in the presence of the almighty Kilarney, for my glib comments that were cherry-picked from amongst all others shall surely bring ruin and gnashing of teeth for the rest of our days! Oh, the inhumanity! The terror! The pity! Please, troll of trolls, who hast pledged not to come back but continually arises from the grave to forgive our sins, cast mine as far as the east is from the west! Have mercy! Have mercy! I am but thy humble butt-slave, and thou art as the rising sun! Sustain us with more of your infinite wisdom on how this thread is serious business, and levity shall not -- nay, must not -- intrude on its sacred horns! Also, instruct mine ears more in the fine ambrosia that is the constant nit-picking between Joe and Steve, and how we must all pay it infinite heed lest we ourselves all become labeled inattentive to the world-wide destruction that is the stock market rebound following history's greatest bubble! Oh, please, I am on my knees asking thee to give me mine instruction in the gentility and authority thou hast brought once more to our hearts! Look not away from my humble pleas, but grant me solemnity in abundance, and prove your love for all forum-kind by continuing to berate us with your electronic engravings of infinite knowledge!
  • edited March 2009
    Killarny, here's a hint: maybe my comment had nothing to do with Obama, and maybe it had nothing to do with your post
    Fair enough. Since you failed to quote, and posted directly after my comment, it was reasonable to infer that you were responding to me. I did think it was funny that Joe invoked FRE 608 having broken the rule. I also thought it funny that anyone would care about FRE 608 in this context. There's more to life than stupid lawyer stuff.

And Jason... I come back every couple of weeks to launch an arrow from my quiver of truth. The rest of the time, I'm behind the front lines enjoying fine wine and good food. It's a perfect balance.
  • I come back every couple of weeks to launch an arrow from my quiver of truth.
    Your arrow kind of missed this time, though.
  • edited March 2009
    I come back every couple of weeks to launch an arrow from my quiver of truth.
    Your arrow kind of missed this time, though.
    How so? By failing to use the "quote" button, an innocent stepped onto the battlefield. Nonetheless, my arrow flew straight and true. The market has failed to endorse Obama's economic plan. This is cause for concern. It's hard to debate any of that.

For the record, I understand that other things influence the market. However, when Obama gives a speech on the economy and the market tumbles the next day based on that speech - there's room for concern.
  • You should be ashamed of such blatant hypocrisy. See how the rules are vastly different for certain members of this forum? What an unbelievably clear example. I expected better from you, Jason.
    I AM ASHAMED! I AM ASHAMED! Oh the sackcloth I must adorn and the ashes I must pour on my head! I must lie prostrate in the presence of the almighty Kilarney, for my glib comments that were cherry-picked from amongst all others shall surely bring ruin and gnashing of teeth for the rest of our days! Oh, the inhumanity! The terror! The pity! Please, troll of trolls, who hast pledged not to come back but continually arises from the grave to forgive our sins, cast mine as far as the east is from the west! Have mercy! Have mercy! I am but thy humble butt-slave, and thou art as the rising sun! Sustain us with more of your infinite wisdom on how this thread is serious business, and levity shall not -- nay, must not -- intrude on its sacred horns! Also, instruct mine ears more in the fine ambrosia that is the constant nit-picking between Joe and Steve, and how we must all pay it infinite heed lest we ourselves all become labeled inattentive to the world-wide destruction that is the stock market rebound following history's greatest bubble! Oh, please, I am on my knees asking thee to give me mine instruction in the gentility and authority thou hast brought once more to our hearts! Look not away from my humble pleas, but grant me solemnity in abundance, and prove your love for all forum-kind by continuing to berate us with your electronic engravings of infinite knowledge!
    Jason wins the forum.
  • Killarny, here's a hint: maybe my comment had nothing to do with Obama, and maybe it had nothing to do with your post
    Fair enough. Since you failed to quote, and posted directly after my comment, it was reasonable to infer that you were responding to me.
    I wasn't responding to your post, but I must admit you turning up in the thread pushed towards making the post.
  • ...my arrow flew straight and true.
    Fine. Friendly fire.
  • So, is the stimulus working and if it actually is could republicans every admit it?

Stimulus is working
  • My friend's company just laid off 150 people at his one site. His team shrank from 14 to 4. Just a small little company called Motorola.
  • So, is the stimulus working and if it actually is could republicans every admit it?

Stimulus is working
    Not only would they never, ever admit it if it was working, but they'd try and spin it so that success would be bad for America.
  • My friend's company just laid off 150 people at his one site. His team shrank from 14 to 4. Just a small little company called Motorola.
    Hooray! Let's refute actual data with anecdotal evidence!
  • Hooray! Let's refute actual data with anecdotal evidence!
    I wasn't refuting anything.
  • edited February 2010
    From the article:
    "Of course, no one can be certain about what would have happened in an alternate universe without a $787 billion stimulus. "

Opposition loves uncertainty.

I haven't studied the stimulus at any great length, but I find it hard to believe that it did not help the economy in the short term. I'm more interested in how efficient it was and what the net effect will be in the long term. Did we get a good bang for our buck, and will the benefits outweigh the drag of the debt obligation? I hope that this is studied so we can respond meaningfully to any future recessions.

Disciplines such as economics can be frustrating since there is often no consensus. There are so many variables.
  • "Of course, no one can be certain about what would have happened in an alternate universe without a $787 billion stimulus."
    Yeah, welcome to reality, I say. What should we have done, provided stimulus money to half the country and used the other half as a control?
    Disciplines such as economics can be frustrating since there is often no consensus. There are so many variables.
    Yup, and as I said, it's often hideously impractical, unethical, and unconscionable to run a proper study with proper controls.
  • edited February 2010
    1. Yup, and as I said, it's often hideously impractical, unethical, and unconscionable to run a proper study with proper controls.

That's my point. This is why the study of economics can be so frustrating compared to certain hard sciences. Within these limitations, I hope they study the matter as best as they can. But even if they do, I suppose there will always be disagreement.
  • How can you refute "jobs saved or created"? It's too nebulous.

What constitutes a 'saved' job? How much money did each saved/created job cost? Would we have been better off just giving unemployed folk extra money?

Did anyone get their free golf cart?
  • Did anyone get theirfree golf cart?
    I did. I use it to move goalposts.
  • So are we headed for a double dip?
    Not today.
    Maybe.
  • WASHINGTON (AP) — The unemployment rate fell to a two-year low of 8.8 percent in March, capping the strongest two months of hiring since before the recession began.

The economy added 216,000 jobs last month, the Labor Department said Friday. Factories, retailers, the education and health care sectors and professional and financial services all expanded payrolls. Those job gains offset layoffs by local governments.

Another month of brisk hiring provided the latest sign that the economy is strengthening nearly two years after the recession ended.

Private employers, the backbone of the economy, drove the gains. They added more than 200,000 jobs for a second straight month. It was the first time that's happened since 2006 — more than a year before the recession started.

The unemployment rate dipped from 8.9 percent in February. The rate has fallen a full percentage point over the past four months. That's the sharpest drop since 1983.

"The U.S. labor market is finally making some serious progress," said Sal Guatieri, economist at BMO Capital Markets Economics.

Economists predict employers will add jobs at roughly the same pace for the rest of this year. That would generate about 2.5 million new positions. Still, that would make up for only a small portion of the 7.5 million jobs wiped out during the recession.
  • WASHINGTON (AP) — The unemployment rate fell to a two-year low of 8.8 percent in March, capping the strongest two months of hiring since before the recession began.

The economy added 216,000 jobs last month, the Labor Department said Friday. Factories, retailers, the education and health care sectors and professional and financial services all expanded payrolls. Those job gains offset layoffs by local governments.

Another month of brisk hiring provided the latest sign that the economy is strengthening nearly two years after the recession ended.

Private employers, the backbone of the economy, drove the gains. They added more than 200,000 jobs for a second straight month. It was the first time that's happened since 2006 — more than a year before the recession started.

The unemployment rate dipped from 8.9 percent in February. The rate has fallen a full percentage point over the past four months. That's the sharpest drop since 1983.

"The U.S. labor market is finally making some serious progress," said Sal Guatieri, economist at BMO Capital Markets Economics.

Economists predict employers will add jobs at roughly the same pace for the rest of this year. That would generate about 2.5 million new positions. Still, that would make up for only a small portion of the 7.5 million jobs wiped out during the recession.
    DOOM DOOM DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Obviously this is bad news for Obama.
  • Obviously this is bad news for Obama.
    Yeah, these jerb problems all came on the scene in 2006 when Obama started thinking about running for president in 2008! :D
  • From where I'm standing, I see tons of job openings. There are tons of companies in the tech sector that are desperate to hire. From Google down to the lowly startups, everyone is trying to hire, especially developers. The problem is the supply is too low. CS enrollments are down more than ever. There are still probably less openings than people that need jobs. That being said, if people could acquire marketable skills and were willing and able to move geographically, unemployment would go down a significant amount.
  • From where I'm standing, I see tons of job openings. There are tons of companies in the tech sector that are desperate to hire. From Google down to the lowly startups, everyone is trying to hire, especially developers. The problem is the supply is too low. CS enrollments are down more than ever. There are still probably less openings than people that need jobs. That being said, if people could acquire marketable skills and were willing and able to move geographically, unemployment would go down a significant amount.

I keep seeing job offers for people with 5+ years of experience in some sort of specialty, I see no jobs for someone with 14 years in the field and a college degree with only training in some specialties. For example, I see a junior Java developer position and they say that my 2 years of classes in java do not make me qualified enough to apply...... very frustrating....