This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Wave

edited May 2009 in Everything Else
This is very neat and proves that Google has some very very smart people working there. The project is very ambitious to say the least, if it succeeds and becomes popular it will certainly liberate people from being tied up to specific social sites. It will also force those sites to add some more value than just functioning as a giant messaging board.

Comments

• I think that the basic idea is interesting, but that it's not going to be a success. Too many other sites have too much momentum.
  • I think it will be a success, but not in the way people think.

Really these days, we view successful Internets sites and applications as ones that get lots of traffic from tons of people for reasons outside of work. Things that are crazy popular within companies are completely under the radar.

I see myself using Wave for interacting with co-workers. Imagine a bunch of programmers all working together are just sharing a wave all the time. Imagine if me and Rym have a wave where we do all of our geeknights works.

Wave is going to replace IRC and instant messaging for the purposes of real-time collaboration.
  • I hope it doesn't end up like Jabber, which is better than basically any other IM service, but no "day to day person" really uses it because they don't see the reason why. If wave would integrate with all the social networks i.e. Facebook though, it may have a real chance of catching on. Wave stands and falls with the amount of users it has.
  • I hope it doesn't end up like Jabber, which is better than basically any other IM service, but no "day to day person" really uses it because they don't see the reason why.
    I've been using Jabber exclusively for years, with a nice legacy gateway included for people still on AIM. Jabber is very widely used.
    If wave would integrate with all the social networks i.e. Facebook though, it may have a real chance of catching on.
    It's something wholly different. It needs no such integration, as the people I see using it the most don't use Facebook or the like in the first place.
  • I hope it doesn't end up like Jabber, which is better than basically any other IM service, but no "day to day person" really uses it because they don't see the reason why. If wave would integrate with all the social networks i.e. Facebook though, it may have a real chance of catching on. Wave stands and falls with the amount of users it has.
    What are you talking about? Tons of people use Jabber aka XMPP. Google Talk is Jabber. Quake Live uses Jabber. Laconica/identi.ca support Jabber. It's all over the place.

People might not be directly using Jabber as their day-to-day instant messaging, but IM is really taking a hit from text messaging, twitter, FaceBook, etc. It's no surprise, really. If all you are doing is having a normal IM conversation, Jabber is pretty much equal to all the other choices. It's power comes from the fact that it's an open XML-based protocol that can be used for other things besides just talking.

Even having said all that, Google Wave has almost nothing to do with Jabber. You're comparing apples and oranges.
  • edited May 2009
    I've been using Jabber exclusively for years, with a nice legacy gateway included for people still on AIM. Jabber is very widely used.
    What are you talking about? Tons of people use Jabber aka XMPP. Google Talk is Jabber. Quake Live uses Jabber. Laconica/identi.ca support Jabber. It's all over the place.
    I know no one in real life who uses Jabber. Yes, it may be used by many other people, but my point was comparing Wave to Jabber the way I've been using it - being in touch with mostly geeky people from the Internet. My point was that I'd like to see Wave being used by the day to day person, by the young people on Facebook and ultimately by people in real life. Not like Jabber, which no "non technical" person seems to know anything about.
    It's something wholly different. It needs no such integration, as the people I see using it the most don't use Facebook or the like in the first place.
    I want the people who use Facebook to use Wave. I believe it would make communicating over the web with my friends so much more pleasant. If Facebook were to integrate the chat for example into Wave, that would be one more reason for a person who already uses Facebook to also use Wave.
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • Why would you like someone to use Wave instead of Facebook? It's apples and oranges. You're basically saying that you wish people would eat apples instead of drive to work. It's a new thing. It solves a different problem than Facebook or Jabber or Email. It is a real-time collaboration tool. It's not an instant messaging system. It's not a social networking tool.
  • I am quite interested about this. When I first heard about this, I went meh. But after watching the video on wave.google.com my level of interest went way up.

After little thinking I can see multiple ways how this could be used in fairly casual use.
    Example one: I'm on long trip on foreign country and I want to share my experiences with my friends and family. I write long post about what I have done and what I have seen and people can then comment and ask things about specific parts of what I had written.

Second example: Planning Burning Wheel (or other rpg) campaign. I write a wave for potential players, telling that I would like to run this kind of game at this time and so on. Then players could comment on different ideas, tell what parts interest them and do all that kind of party planning that is required at Burning Wheel.

So at least I will get something out of this. I just hope that it will be so easy to use that I could really get my parents to learn how to use it.
  • Second example: Planning Burning Wheel (or other rpg) campaign.
    Brilliant! My first project with this will be Burning Wave. ^_~
  • edited May 2009
    It's a new thing. It solves a different problem than Facebook or Jabber or Email. It is a real-time collaboration tool. It's not an instant messaging system. It's not a social networking tool.
    It is a web application and computing platform designed to bring together e-mail, instant messaging, and social networking.
    Then again, I guess by bringing all that stuff together, it is no longer an IM system or a social networking tool. But still, I hope you get my point.

Wave looks interesting, but I don't really see myself using it very often.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Man, I wish I could get the FDA, the USDA, the CDC, and every public health laboratory in the 50 states to do this. I would love to eliminate the need for conference calling in order to develop a plan of action. I might be able to use it with some tech-savvy scientists to work on a project together.
  • edited May 2009
    You're basically saying that you wish people would eat apples instead of drive to work.
    that would be one more reason for a person who already uses Facebook to also use Wave.
    Not instead, also. Integrating Facebook would just help aggregate new users, hence making it more useful.
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • If Wave is what I think it is, most of you won't use it, or at least you won't use it properly or regularly. As I understand it, Wave is a real-time collaboration tool. If you aren't collaborating in real-time, it's not for you. The only people who really need it are people who are doing real work with multiple people who are not in the same room as each other.
  • If Wave is what I think it is, most of you won't use it, or at least you won't use it properly or regularly. As I understand it, Wave is a real-time collaboration tool. If you aren't collaborating in real-time, it's notforyou. The only people who really need it are people who are doing real work with multiple people who are not in the same room as each other.
    What about just completely replacing "casual" email and IM between friends?
  • Sooner or later they'll come up with "Google Singularity" where all of our thoughts are spontaneously shared and synchronized through cognitive networks.
  • If Wave is what I think it is, most of you won't use it, or at least you won't use it properly or regularly. As I understand it, Wave is a real-time collaboration tool. If you aren't collaborating in real-time, it's notforyou. The only people who really need it are people who are doing real work with multiple people who are not in the same room as each other.
    I think the whole point of Google Wave, if you've seen the video of the presentation, is that there isn't a "proper" way to use it. The presentation team kept saying things like "We started using it like this, but we soon found it could also be used for this..." I think the strength of the idea is exactly that: you can use it however you want!

Personally I can see my friends and I using this a whole lot! Will we create documents and share work? Nope! Will we chat about meeting for breakfast in a smoother way than we do now by skype and email? Yup! Why do you think the first demonstration example in the presentation was about organising a boating trip and sharing photos?
  • Sooner or later they'll come up with "Google Singularity" where all of our thoughts are spontaneously shared and synchronized through cognitive networks.
    There was a FNPL about that I think...
  • This will eventually, as the years go by, replace email. Even if people use only 1% of it's potential (such as using it as a regular email interface), it will still catch on I believe. Bbecause it's free and open, a lot of websites will just opt to install it quick and easy.

I could see this as being really frickin' sweet if you're in a class with a few people and you're all taking notes on a laptop/smart phone. Really good way to get the best notes possible.
  • So, is anyone else in the beta yet? If you are, let's have a wavechat! Or a chatwave. Or a geeksine. Or something.

yoshokatana (at) wavesandbox (dot) com
  • Oh, shit. I didn't know the beta was open open. I gotsta get in.
  • edited July 2009
    GAH! Its OPEN!?!?! *RUNS*

EDIT: ...Only the dev sandbox is open.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • How do you get to it?? HOW DO YOU GET TO IT?!?

RGAHGHGAR
  • Oh my god. This can not be happening. Noooooo!
  • Oh my god. This can not be happening. Noooooo!
    Josh... Josh... JOOOOOOOOSSSSSHHHHHH!
  • Er...yeah. It's dev beta right now. You can sign up at https://services.google.com/fb/forms/wavesignupfordev/.
  • edited September 2009
    Soooo... anyone want to send me an invite?
    Post edited by thaneofcawdor on
  • What was all that September 30th crap about then? Multiple sources claimed that was the date it would open, so what could I do but believe.
  • What was all that September 30th crap about then? Multiple sources claimed that was the date it would open, so what could I do but believe.
    It's not even remotely close to being ready to open. It's so buggy and un-finished.
    It's not even remotely close to being ready to open. It's so buggy and un-finished.
    If you could give an estimate, when do you think it will become available or are there too many factors preventing you from doing so?
  • They only sent out another 100,000 keys today.