This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

NEW Anime Season Thread!! a.k.a. Till The Industry DIES!!

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Actually, I have a question for all of the Japanese history people: Is the setting of Taisho Yakyu Musume true to history? I thought that the westernization of Japan started a little later, although according to the girl and her dad, kimonos are going out of style into western clothes (the anime is set in 1925). After watching the first episode, I'm super interested in sort of the Westernization of Japan, when it started, how it was, etc., and also comparing the cultures and customs of Japan and the US from the early 1900's to today. I'd think making a little graph or something similar would be fucking awesome.
    I wouldn't declare myself a Japanese history person, but as far as I know it is quite accurate. There has been quite a lot of western influence on Japan since Perry forced the japanese ports open in the middle of the 19th century. There was some regression during the Showa Era which followed Taisho which ultimately lead up to WWII. After Japan was defeated in WWII, it more or less took the mentality of "if you can't beat them, join them" and practically started to copy western civilization in the industrial and with it cultural domains.

Take this with a grain of salt though since I learned most of this from manga like Lady Snowblood.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited July 2009
    Just going to post up some first impressions that from this season that I had posted up on my LJ:

- Aoi Hana (aka: Sweet Blue Flowers): This is just sweet and simple; the world needs more shoujo ai. How can you say no to the guy who directed Honey & Clover and Nodame Cantabile? Also, the opening sequence was storyboarded by the director of Utena. Though, that wasn't the only thing that snagged my attention in the first place, of course. *cough*Yes it was.*cough*

- Umineko no Naku Koro ni: First two episodes were a bit confusing due to the sheer number of characters, and it clearly had a few shamelessly pandering parts. However, the mystery sounds interesting, especially considering what I read in the Wikipedia article about the original games. Plus I liked Higurashi a lot, so I'm willing to give this a shot regardless. The upcoming arc structure of the show and the gore level toward the end of the second episode look pretty promising in that respect. Oh, and the opening and ending themes? Probably the best I've heard this season so far. Holy crap. Go watch the opening sequence on YouTube. It gives me chills. o_o That is so getting featured on Utamiko as soon as the single comes out.

- Canaan: Had no idea what this was going into it, but watched it after Nine said it looked good. I'd have to agree with him there. The action was great in the first episode, which isn't surprising considering the director is known for his kickass key animation work on stuff like the Cowboy Bebop movie and Eureka 7. The intrigue was well-done, the theme of senses and sight was a cool choice, and I'm curious to know what was up with the dudes with the animal mascot heads. Looking forward to seeing where this goes, although I am a little leery of the fact that this is connected to Type-Moon.

- Taishou Yakyuu Musume: This would be cute, but too standard for me to watch if not for 1) the setting, and 2) a couple of the characters. As with Steel Angel Kurumi, I love that this show is set in 1920s Japan. I think that's a very interesting time period, and it's neat to see examples of how life was back then, especially for women and young girls (and this series seems to provide that perspective in spades). Being a sports anime, it's also got the classic underdog draw going on, which is always pretty reliable for hooking in potential viewers. As for characters, the American teacher, Anna Curtland, is totally awesome, and so is the girl with the braids (Kawashima?). Also, Mamiko Noto is in this show. I don't want to fangirl too much, so I'll keep this short and just say that I'm willing to give a lot of series more of a shot than I normally would if Mamiko Noto has a significant role in them. ♥ I think this show could become for me what K-ON! is to most other fans right now. Think about it: cute, entertaining girls in high school trying to work at something they're not necessarily experts at while under the coaching of a kickass teacher figure.

Going to start on Bakemonogatari, Umi Monogatari, and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 sometime soon, possibly during the Otakon weekend.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I am a little leery of the fact that this is connected to Type-Moon.
    From what I gathered, the only connection to Type-Moon is that they made the back story scenario for Canaan in that 428 game upon which this anime is based. Type-Moon just said that she has some crazy empathic-like power that they put under the label 'synaesthesia'. Hint, synaesthesia doesn't work that way.
    [T]his show could become for me what K-ON! is to most other fans right now.
    Taishou Yakyuu Musume >>>>> K-ON. Just count the letters. It also has more music in the first 4 minutes than K-ON in 13 episodes. YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE!
    Bakemonogatari
    ShaftxShinbo, looks pretty. Feels like lots of stills and pans only with drug trip madness on screen. It also deals with vampires, myths and gigantic translucent crabs made out of CG and kanji.
    Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
    CRAAAWLING IIIN MY SKIIIN, THIS OOORANGE WIIILL NOT PEEEEL!
  • edited July 2009
    Meh, after seeing an episode or two of TYM, my interested has diminished because I've never really liked sports anime/mangas, although I like the music aspect I saw in the first episode. I'm also excited for Sora no Otoshimono, and for the new Black Lagoon OVA announced today. Holy shit. I remember there was something interesting I read about Bakemonogatari that made me kinda excited, so I should probably go back and check that out.

EDIT: I forgot to mention how I thought it was pretty cool how Bandai released the Kannagi Pt.1 Box set right when it was announced, and I'm kinda thinking about buying it. I'm super excited for the S&W box set also, to reiterate that for the umpteenth time.
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • EDIT: I forgot to mention how I thought it was pretty cool how Bandai released the Kannagi Pt.1 Box set right when it was announced, and I'm kinda thinking about buying it.
    Did you? Isn't Kannagi just your generic harem show #729.772.xxx.xxx, only with a dance in the OP?

Anyone else thought Canaan ran out of MP at the end of ep7?
  • EDIT: I forgot to mention how I thought it was pretty cool how Bandai released the Kannagi Pt.1 Box set right when it was announced, and I'm kinda thinking about buying it.
    Did you? Isn't Kannagi just your generic harem show #729.772.xxx.xxx, only with a dance in the OP?

Anyone else thought Canaan ran out of MP at the end of ep7?
    LOL, not at all. I could say that Canaan would be the generic #729.999.999 action/sci-fi/girls with guns show, I would be correct on that. It's also not the only show to have guns+girls, just like Kannagi isn't the only show to have a dance in the OP. What makes my favorite shows any less valid than yours?

Continue trolling, I hunger for a rebuttal.
  • Continue trolling, I hunger for a rebuttal.
    Have a cookie, you just hunger to troll what you perceive as a troll. I just asked a question whether you bought the DVD and if the show had anything beyond the trope of "a non-descript non-interesting boy gets the attention of a bunch of cute/attractive girls, some with supernatural powers, who kick the boy in the face when he sees their panties or some-such", you don't have to be so defensive out of nowhere. I didn't say anything bad about the show, so chillax. Eh, can I really blame you? Your system probably just had to let off steam from your "OMG HAREM IS NOT BAD" boiler before it would rupture, since your eagerness to defend was bottled with your disappointment when nobody cared about your Rosario Vampire manga stuff.

Hrm, some paragraph. Your running about trying to stamp and label me was just an attempt at a clever ruse to hide your own actions, wasn't it? Well, enjoy, you got your cookie.

As for Canaan, my favourite? WHAHAHAHAHAHA, yeah right. It's one out of four shows I personally think are watchable this season, ep 7 is even hilariously bad and over the top. And yes, it is Girls With Guns show #730.000.001, no sci-fi though.
  • My bad- I misunderstood what you were saying in the original post. To answer your question, no, I haven't bough it yet, but I've seen it; it really wasn't as bad as most other harem shows, although I don't think you would've liked it.
    Your system probably just had to let off steam from your "OMG HAREM IS NOT BAD" boiler before it would rupture, since your eagerness to defend was bottled with your disappointment when nobody cared about your Rosario Vampire manga stuff.
    I lol'ed. ^_^

Speaking of unwatchable shows this season, there is about 5 minutes of just the most straight-up, blatant, uncomfortable, and hilarious fanservice in the latest To-Love Ru OVA. I like fanservice and all, but that was the most over the top I've seen. Even I started cracking up over how ridiculous it is.
  • The Fall season is apparently again littered with moe and tits shows. I probably watch Fairy Tail since I really like the manga. Yes it's shonen but it's decent. Romance of the three Kingdoms looks interesting just for the sake of finally finding out what exactly is going in the Three Kingdoms. There are plenty of pop-culture references floating around out there to it and I never read the book (though I probably should). I might watch the first episodes of Trapeze and Sasameki Moto just to see what's going on there.
  • edited August 2009
    The only thing that looks remotely interesting on there for me is Stitch 2. I was intrigued by the first series, but I haven't watched it yet, maybe it's time to get on that.

EDIT: How the hell did I miss the new Kimba series on that list? That's a must watch!
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • What was the one with the girls head in a box??
    edited August 2009
    The Fall season is apparently again littered with moe and tits shows.
    You're a month behind the internet, welcome. And yes, lots of shitty sequels to shitty shows. BUT THERE'S HOPE! TRAPEZE!
    I might watch the first episodes of Trapeze
    Might?
    In Modern Japan, people visit "doctors of neurology", rather than Therapists. Dr. Ichiro Irabu is an eccentric neurologist with an injection fetish, an Oedipus complex and a green Porsche, known for making patients much worse before they get better. From the staff of "Mononoke".
    It's a must try! The signs are great, everyone must try this. NO EXCEPTIONS!
    • Armed Librarians: "Tonisu has his memory erased, a bomb implanted in his chest, and is ordered to kill the most powerful armed librarian" Would be awesome if that was all. But he falls in love. Will it still be awesome?
    • Darker than Black sequel: Have yet to watch Darker than Black. It's said to be watchable at least
    • A Certain Scientific Railgun: It centers around the penny railgun girl from A Certain Magical Index. Index was shit, so it's hard to be worse. Will watch first ep to see if it has some blow-me-away-unexpectedly awesome music too
    • Letter Bee: Shounen Shigofumi? Idunnolol
    • Romance of the 3 Kingdoms: See Chaos' note
    • Sacred-ah fuck it
    • Fairy Tail: Spamming fans of a One Piece look-a-like, whatever. Might try
    • Kobato: Sounds like a sweet love story. Sadly I just listened to DMC...
    • Kimi no Todoke: I never watched the ring, but Sadako-tan's cute. What's the problem?
    • Sasameki Koto: Sounds like Aoi Hana. Lesbians! Resurging trend, lesbians everywhere, every day of the week, go, go, go
    • Winter Sonata: Been on the list for the past 10 years... Koreans have no time to make their own anime because they're putting out all the crap the Japanese want to see. And where's First Squad?!
    • Nyan Koi!: Dude despises cats, kicks can, goes insane. End of story, impossible to grant wish turns him into a cat and he becomes the girls' pet. Best. Fucking. Ending. EVER.*
    • Shit sequel to shit anime with shit art style, imho
    • White Album 2: Wasn't this lesbians singing?
    • 11eyes: 6 people times 2 eyes minus one eye, equals
    • DBZ for girls, the final act YEAH RIGHT!
    • Asura Crying 2: Another sequel that is not Sengoku Basara or Natsume Yuujinchou
    • Kamfer:"[A]n ordinary high school boy, suddenly wakes up one morning" OH SNAP! Waking up in the morning? That's unheard of-oh wait... "[...] to find he is a girl, as explained by a disemboweled plush tiger." That tiger's gonna be the best thing of the show, but why does it have to tell the guy he's now a girl? DOESN'T HE HAVE BOOBS?! Blue-face also looks retarded on that list
    • Heaven's Lost Property: Lucifer? Boobs-on-head
    • Seitokrap: Student Council harem sounds at least a bit original
    • MORE QUEENS BLADE! MORE SELECTIVELY-ACIDIC-SPERM SPEWING NIPPLES! MORE BOOBS! MORE [insert appropriately ecchi thing]. No such thing as condoms
    • NEW Koihime Musou: It's really baffling that shit like this will safe the Japanese economy
    • Mary Sue's an Otaku: Part 2!
    • Jungle Emperor Leo
    • kidshit, kidshit, kidshit 2
    • Tamagotchi!: Holy crap, I remember those things from my childhood! kidshit
    Fall 2009 will be remembered as the animu season with more sequels, more moe, more lesbians and a green Porsche driving madman.
    I was intrigued by the first series, but I haven't watched it yet, maybe it's time to get on that.
    Nobody subbed it, they added a pink love interest for Stitch for crying out loud. Nobody'll sub this either.
     * I have no idea how the story will end, dude's just very lucky. More so if THE MAN will let him bone his crush before becoming a cat so that he may watch his son/daughter grow up for 10-ish years, and sleep the other 10 of his cat-life. I should write this anime...
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited August 2009
    I actually found a few episodes fansubbed on YouTube. The picture quality is actually pretty high, and from what I've seen, the show is much better than Lilo and Stitch the Series (of course, that's not saying much).
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I might watch the first episodes of Trapeze
    Might?
    In Modern Japan, people visit "doctors of neurology", rather than Therapists. Dr. Ichiro Irabu is aneccentric neurologistwith aninjection fetish, anOedipus complexand agreen Porsche, known for making patients much worse before they get better.From the staff of "Mononoke".
    It's a must try! The signs are great, everyone must try this. NO EXCEPTIONS!
    Yeah, it just looked a bit too weird from that preview pic but yeah, "might" may be the wrong word. What I meant to say is if I have time I'll try it.
  • I actually found a few episodes fansubbed on YouTube.
    3 eps before being dropped = unsubbed. The entire show has aired and there's no indication that anyone will ever sub it. At least there's one fansub group still doing Golgo 13.
  • I actually found a few episodes fansubbed on YouTube.
    3 eps before being dropped = unsubbed. The entire show has aired and there's no indication that anyone will ever sub it. At least there's one fansub group still doing Golgo 13.
    When I finally have passing level of Japanese I will fansub this for you Nine
  • When I finally have passing level of Japanese I will fansub this for you Nine
    The dudes subbing Golgo are speeding up, they'll most likely be done way before you have any passing level of Japanese knowledge.
  • But he falls in love. Will it still be awesome?
    That's what makes it awesome. Love stories with bombs and machine guns tend to be my kind of romances.
    Sasameki Koto:Sounds like Aoi Hana. Lesbians! Resurging trend, lesbians everywhere, every day of the week, go, go, go
    More cute yuri shows! I have been looking forward to this one. Aoi Hana is super cute.
    And where's First Squad?!
    Ask the Russians. I think it came out in Russia already. It won some sort of film festival award.
  • That's what makes it awesome. Love stories with bombs and machine guns tend to be my kind of romances.
    Needs more bigger bombs though. They should, like, replace all, like, the muscle of, like, his chest with, like, C4 or, like, some, like, such insanity.
    Ask the Russians. I think it came out in Russia already. It won some sort of film festival award.
    I know. Them Russians put everything on the internet, as long as they haven't made it themselves.
  • Kimba's face looks weird :S
  • Awesome, awesome to the MAX!
  • Just watched it.

You know the feeling when you watched something so awesome that afterward you become silent and aimless. You get that whats next feeling. You get that feeling that nothing else you watch that day will be as awesome. That was my feeling after watching Lagann-hen.
  • Just watched it.

You know the feeling when you watched something so awesome that afterward you become silent and aimless. You get that whats next feeling. You get that feeling that nothing else you watch that day will be as awesome. That was my feeling after watching Lagann-hen.
    So then it's worth watching, even if you've seen all of Gurren Lagann? Is it that much better?
  • Watch until the timeskip, then you're set.
  • Just watched it.

So then it's worth watching, even if you've seen all of Gurren Lagann? Is it that much better?
    Unlike the first movie it has less of the recap and more new animation. If you have seen the series you know the final outcome, but the journey to that outcome is different. It is as you say more GAR! More over the top! More Tengen and Toppa! Even if you seen the series, you will cheer.
  • I really liked this movie, it is definitely on my top 5 compilation movies. Overall they have only made three changes on the whole movie, and to my it kind of works. Well with the exception of cutting out the deaths of most of the original Dai-Gurren Team. The dramatic effect would have work better in the movie but I guess they really wanted to animate most of characters' dreams.
    Notice that this movie is full of mecha, Nia, and specially Yoko fan-service. I did love the new mechas though :P
  • I loved all the new mechas as well. The entire redone final battle was a great idea. I loved Simon's new final mecha most of all. And of course, Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. What more could a guy ask for?
  • edited January 2010
    I loved all the new mechas as well. The entire redone final battle was a great idea. I loved Simon's new final mecha most of all. And of course
    I am not sure if the Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann would be considered a mecha though.
    Post edited by Erwin on