This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mixology (Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love the Drink)

GeoGeo
edited September 2009 in Everything Else
This thread came about due to two factors. 1: Pete's Bitter Black Existance. 2: I may want to try my hand at mixology.

What is your favorite mixed drink, hard liquor, martini, margarita, etc? On the off-chance that you have any drinks that you have created yourself, post the ingredients and instructions here if you wish so other people can try their hand at it.

On a personal note, I've learned that in my state you can be 18 years old and be a bartender even though you cannot actually consume/quaff the liquor. It's fucked up but I don't care! I've actually made a few simple drinks in the past whenever my parents throw a party(e.g. Manhattans, Harvey Wallbangers, martinis, and more). Despite my age, people have commented that I do pretty good, and one of them say if I practiced I could be pretty good. Since filmmaking is a tough business and actually getting a part in a production crew for a movie is somewhat uncommon (indy or Hollywood level), it may be a way to actually make some money and bartenders make quite a fair to large amount of money

Comments

• You'll have to go to school again if you want to be a bartender. It's actually a lot of work.
  • I'm a fan of anything involving gin, especially dirty martinis. I'm also a fan of straight gin, particularly when it's a top shelf like Hendrick's.
  • I'm a big fan of the Cosmopolitian. Not the most manly drink, but I make them strong.

2 shots Vodka (Grapefruit vodka if you have, plain if you don't, avoid a raspberry vodka)
    1 shot Cranberry/Pomegranate juice cocktail, regular Cranberry juice cocktail will do if you don't have that.
    1 shot of Triple Sec
    0.5 shot of Lime juice, fresh squeezed if available.

This definitely has a bite to it, but it's tasty and drinkable.

I just remembered that Labor Day is coming up, I should gather components to make a pitcher of this for my friends.
  • I'm a fan of anything involving gin, especially dirty martinis. I'm also a fan of straight gin, particularly when it's a top shelf like Hendrick's.
    In your opinion, is Beefeater a good or bad gin. That's my only experience with it and I hate it passionately.
  • I assume you'll buy/make some grog on Talk Like A Pirate Day (September 19) Pete?
  • I assume you'll buy/make some grog on Talk Like A Pirate Day (September 19) Pete?
    Gin =! grog. Lrn2liquor.
  • I've slowed down making drinks lately since not so many parties are being held as often as they used to be. But I always liked working with schnapps since they had a wide variety of varieties and usually smelled very pleasant.
    In your opinion, is Beefeater a good or bad gin. That's my only experience with it and I hate it passionately.
    Beefeater is a decent gin, and it's actually a good gin for its price range. I can drink it neat, though I prefer not to, but it's best for mixing. It's my gin of choice for dirty martinis; fuck Bombay Sapphire.
  • edited September 2009
    Beefeater is a decent gin, and it's actually a good gin for its price range. I can drink it neat, though I prefer not to, but it's best for mixing. It's my gin of choice for dirty martinis; fuck Bombay Sapphire.
    That's a good choice - not all gins are the same.

Protip(from an actual pro) - Be mindful of the botanicals your gin is made from when deciding which gin to use in a cocktail. The right Gin can make a drink, the wrong one can ruin it.
    Martinis, however, you can often get away with, being a very simple drink, however, you should default to Beefeater or similar, as unless your customer is brand-calling, it's a good basic gin that compliments the vermouth well - however, in a martini, Customer choice trumps all.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Beefeater is a decent gin, and it's actually a good gin for its price range. I can drink it neat, though I prefer not to, but it's best for mixing. It's my gin of choice for dirty martinis; fuck Bombay Sapphire.
    That's a good choice - not all gins are the same.

Protip(from an actual pro) - Be mindful of the botanicals your gin is made from when deciding which gin to use in a cocktail. The right Gin can make a drink, the wrong one can ruin it.
    Martinis, however, you can often get away with, being a very simple drink, however, you should default to Beefeater or similar, as unless your customer is brand-calling, it's a good basic gin that compliments the vermouth well - however, in a martini, Customer choice trumps all.
    Is there anything you haven't done Churba?
  • Killed a man with his bare hands? Wait, no, he's probably done that.
    Killed a bear with his man hands?
    Must....resist....urge....to make....bear joke.
  • Is there anything you haven't done Churba?
    Yes, but I prefer to define them as "Haven't done, Yet." But bartending was my first job, and I've strayed away and gone back quite a bit - it's my main line of work, after the Airlines.
    Killed a man with his bare hands? Wait, no, he's probably done that.
    Not yet.
    Well, I have been planning to go to russia...
  • Since filmmaking is a tough business and actually getting a part in a production crew for a movie is somewhat uncommon (indy or Hollywood level), it may be a way to actually make some money and bartenders make quite a fair to large amount of money
    Well, as far as being part of a crew, if you know people it's really easy to be on a set. Getting a good position, however, is another story. You can be a PA from here to Forever if you don't make the right connections.
  • edited September 2009
    Killed a man with his bare hands?
    I felt it so here it is
    imageimage
    You'll have to go to school again if you want to be a bartender. It's actually a lot of work.
    I wonder if Matt will wind up the time traveling, self impregnating, sex changing ball o awesome that is the main character in All You Zombies He'd be Heinleintastic!
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster.
    /thread
  • My favorite drink is the Mojito, though I like all kinds of things that have mint. That and I'll drink just about anything really. Though if you're interested in a book about mixology I saw this while I was watching "Great Cocktails" on the Fine Living Network

The Joy of Mixology: The Consummate Guide to the Bartender's Craft by Gary Regan
  • I like many types of martinis but my stalwart glass has a straight martini, 2 olives and dirty if either the vermouth or the gin is not particularly good.
    I also like appletinis, my friends make fun of me because they think it's a girls drink but when done right it's quite good, especially with dusted cinnamon on the inside of the glass.
    Always stir martinis never shake, the taste is degraded immensely!

I have used a jalapeno instead of olives twice and it was really good too.
    Mojitos are great too, once again if made correctly.
  • Since filmmaking is a tough business and actually getting a part in a production crew for a movie is somewhat uncommon (indy or Hollywood level), it may be a way to actually make some money and bartenders make quite a fair to large amount of money
    Well, as far as being part of a crew, if you know people it's really easy to be on a set. Getting a good position, however, is another story. You can be a PA from here to Forever if you don't make the right connections.
    That's true, but I also want to have a backup job just in case my filmmaker aspirations just fail for some reason.
  • When I do I drink I mostly stick with mixed vodka drinks of some kind. I like a good gin and tonic every now and again. I had a brief love affair with Mexican Martinis at one point.
    I don't really follow recipes when I'm making drinks at home though.
  • Always stir martinis never shake, the taste is degraded immensely!
    I just don't see how chemically there will be a vastly different end result. Can anyone explain this?
    I just don't see how chemically there will be a vastly different end result. Can anyone explain this?
    If it's shaken, it's done with ice, and the action of shaking the ice causes it to break up and get into the martini, effectively watering it down faster. Some people also claim that shaking "bruises" the gin, but I have no idea what the fuck that's supposed to mean.
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2009
    Sk0pe is thinking on a James Bond mindset, and the truth is is that it is up to the customer whether they want a stinger or a martini shaken or stirred, it's a personal preference. However there is a pair of rules you must follow if you want to make good drinks. You should never shake clear drinks because you gotta stir them, and vice-versa for cloudy drinks. As for cocktails, you should never shake one that contains carbonated water or soda.
    Post edited by Geo on
    If it's shaken, it's done with ice, and the action of shaking the ice causes it to break up and get into the martini, effectively watering it down faster. Some people also claim that shaking "bruises" the gin, but I have no idea what the fuck that's supposed to mean.
    I don't know how you can "bruise" an alcohol but yes, generally I get a duller taste from a shaken martini vs one that is stirred.
  • I don't know how you can "bruise" an alcohol but yes, generally I get a duller taste from a shaken martini vs one that is stirred.
    That's because when you shake a drink, it's shaken with ice. Lots of Small chips break off the ice, get into the drink(that's what makes it cloudy), and dilute it when they melt. People carrying on about bruising the gin don't actually know what they're talking about.
    the truth is is that it is up to the customer whether they want a stinger or a martini shaken or stirred, it's a personal preference.
    QFT.
    However there is a pair of rules you must follow if you want to make good drinks. You should never shake clear drinks because you gotta stir them, and vice-versa for cloudy drinks. As for cocktails, you should never shake one that contains carbonated water or soda.
    Third rule - Don't be afraid to break these rules.
  • edited September 2009
    Sk0pe is thinking on a James Bond mindset, and the truth is is that it is up to the customer whether they want a stinger or a martini shaken or stirred, it's a personal preference.
    Umm, the James Bond catch phrase is "shaken, not stirred". Logic suggests that the only significant effect of shaking is to water the drink down and make it colder; Bond obviously favours the latter of these properties. The article also suggests that shaking slightly enhances the antioxidant capacity of the drink.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I wonder if Matt will wind up the time traveling, self impregnating, sex changing ball o awesome that is the main character inAll You ZombiesHe'd be Heinleintastic!
    Dude, I, like, just read that short story. (It's good.) If I hadn't, I would be very confused by that statement.
  • So my pitcher trashed my friends and made one of them ill later that night. I win. :P
  • Mine is Pisco Sour, which is made with Peruvian Pisco <3
    By the way pisco is a type of brandy made with grapes :D