This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Why People Think Rym & Scott are Gay.

Comments

• RymRym
    edited January 2007
    is long hair (which really is just long geeky hair, not some amazing mane of luminous locks, as he might have you believe)
    When have I said anything about my hair here? ^_~

In fact, the only self-reference regarding my hair I can find is:
    Once, it starting hurting while I was in class back at uni. I didn't want to take my boot off, so I just ignored it, assuming I'd hurt it running the previous day or something. It was sore, but not too bad. Hours later, sitting back at my dorm room, it still ached. I rolled my sock off to find that a SINGLE PIECE OF MY HAIR had somehow wrapped around it and tied itself into a knot, forming a tiny noose that had been slowly strangling my toe!
    Of course, I have no control over what other people say about my hair:
    Rym's long hair is hot and wins the ladies. That's the reason for the ponytail. It's +5 to charisma.
    XD
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Yes, let's all pretend the hyperbolic caricature of Scott is the reality. Now let's all play arm-chair psychologists with the caricature. Isn't this fun!
  • Yes, let's all pretend the hyperbolic caricature of Scott is the reality. Now let's all play arm-chair psychologists with the caricature. Isn't this fun!
    You know what? It is fun :D
  • I agree. It's fun.

Me thinks we are hitting a nerve. Hmm... what does that tell us?
  • How many people have come out online? Is there a procedure?
    Hm, sounds a touch defensive there. Are we maybe hiding something?

Scott's probably straight, though he does have this odd tendency towards cuddling with men before cuddling with women. More than likely, he just has very very particular (read: unrealistic) taste in women. Reminds me quite a bit of my coworker Gary, an older man whose ideal women is, essentially, a lingerie model that surfs.
  • I'm not really that choosy with women. My requirements aren't many. I think it's just that the few things I'm looking for are incredibly rare.
  • edited January 2007
    Yes, let's all pretend the hyperbolic caricature of Scott is the reality. Now let's all play arm-chair psychologists with the caricature. Isn't this fun!
    I'm an anthropologist! (... in training!) Drawing conclusions based on empirical observations is what I DO! Well, there is this whole code of ethics about doing no harm to the people I study, which I suppose would apply to you in this case, but... fff!! RULES, who needs THOSE!

>:D

Edit: You can call me UglyFreud.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • What does Scott look for in women? That is so incredibly rare? Geek-awesomeness, reasonably attractive, legs? So far that's not sounding so hard.
  • What does Scott look for in women?
    Penises.
  • LOL.....

The women have to be able to put up with him for long periods of time! That's a Skill we have yet to find!

And Penises....
  • Well, in my opinion this discussion has gone long enough. I mean, I am also very selective with my female companions. Is not like I am a bastard is that I prefer female friends than girlfriends. I have lost too many female friends because of the me being boyfriends with them. Like i think I love them but at the end: " Crap I mess up , I need to break up". And that sucks
  • I look at this the same way I look at beer.

I would much rather drink a good wiesen any day of the week, but if Bud is the only thing available I'll drink it in a pinch.

What's the old joke, "fat chicks are like mopeds, they're fun to ride until your friends see you on one?"
  • I look at this the same way I look at beer.

I would much rather drink a good wiesen any day of the week, but if Bud is the only thing available I'll drink it in a pinch.

What's the old joke, "fat chicks are like mopeds, they're fun to ride until your friends see you on one?"
    See, here's where I differ: if Bud is the only thing available, I don't drink beer.
  • The thing, is that I am also picky with girls: basically I am looking for: someone that likes some of the video games I like, someone that knows about anime, someone smart, someone that has its own mind, someone that likes animals and have respect for nature, someone that is as geeky as me. I wonder if I will ever find her but in the mind time I will just worry about greater things like .... .... ... defeating the last boss in shadow of the colossus?
  • The thing, is that I am also picky with girls: basically I am looking for: someone that likes some of the video games I like, someone that knows about anime, someone smart, someone that has its own mind, someone that likes animals and have respect for nature, someone that is as geeky as me. I wonder if I will ever find her but in the mind time I will just worry about greater things like .... .... ... defeating the last boss in shadow of the colossus?
    You will likely not find this girl. This is why you have kids, you get to mold them into what you wish you had found before you got married :)
  • Lord, HMTK Steve, you can keep your Bud Lite opinions to yourself. Oy gevalt.

Chronocross, sometimes it is lucky and you find someone you really get along with, and is all geek awesome and stuff. Personally, I think that sometimes if a relationship develops naturally out of a friendship, it is one of the strongest and best kinds, rather than the ones that start up based on sexual attration alone. I was pals with Rym in high school before we started dating...it seems to have worked out. I guess rather than look for someone, sometimes its better to just chalk it up to luck or whatever and let stuff happen.

And HMTK Steve...you are married, which in theory means that you can only have one can of beer your entire life, so stop oinking and hush.
  • Thanks gomidog. I appreciate your insight and advice.
    You will likely not find this girl. This is why you have kids, you get to mold them into what you wish you had found before you got married :)
    Soooooo. . . you settle for someone you don't have much in common with and that you don't love so that you can have kids and mold them into . . . new lovers?

EWWW. Just EWWWW.
  • Thank you for taking my humorous post and turning it into something else.
  • I'm listening to your "Bayside Shakedown" show from 1/26/07

For any two guys to say "We have enough dishes to entertain like forty people." and then get into a discussion about whether you have more silverware than dishes - well, it sounds a little brokeback to me.
    If ever you find this girl, and settle down with her, you will find two years later that she's not really that girl at all. She was merely using the things you like to catch you like a bigmouth bass.
  • If ever you find this girl, and settle down with her, you will find two years later that she's not really that girl at all. She was merely using the things you like to catch you like a bigmouth bass.
    Unless you're joking, that's a sad, sad statement.
    They do, in fact, exist. The Crew can vouch for this; many of us are in fact dating these types of women.
  • edited January 2007
    If ever you find this girl, and settle down with her, you will find two years later that she's not really that girl at all. She was merely using the things you like to catch you like a bigmouth bass.
    Unless you're joking, that's a sad, sad statement.
    Yes, it is. People who seriously think like that... Well, yeah, I can see why your life sucks.

Good people exist. It might take a while to find them and once you do a little while longer to sift out the select few that you can really love. That's just the numbers. Come on.
    Post edited by Mamath on
  • edited January 2007
    Good people exist. It might take a while to find them and once you do a little while longer to sift out the select few that you can really love. That's just the numbers. Come on.
    I'll be the first to agree that one ought not marry somebody that they don't have enough in common with.

However... any marriage is going to have to involve some amount of compromise. It's a completely naive assumption to think that you can be married to someone and do whatever you want whenever you want. The problem is that, inevitably, this will conflict with your partner's ability to do whatever they want whenever they want. Therefore, for a healthy relationship, there has to be compromise at certain points. It could be something simple... you could be in the mood for an action movie and she could be in the mood for a comedy. It could be something big... she got a big job with a huge raise in another city but you don't want to move. Somebody isn't going to get what they want in those situations. That doesn't mean that you are incompatible and it doesn't make either of you a bad person. I'd argue that if those situations don't come up then somebody ought to look in the mirror - because they are obviously controlling and/or dominating the relationship. The best relationships embrace these moments (and each other), and don't show bitterness when such a compromise has to be made.

Divorce courts are full of people that thought that they could marry someone and still do whatever they wanted to do.

Okay... enough Dr. Phil.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I remembered the book The Forever War the other day, in which governments encourage homosexuality as a form of population control. I also listened to the hacking episode in which Scrym says hacking is at least partly finding new utilizations for things that the designers did not intend.

And it hit me - once again, Scrym is at the forefront of futurism and hacking.
  • edited January 2007
    I'll be the first to agree that one ought not marry somebody that they don't have enough in common with.

However...anymarriage is going to have to involve some amount of compromise. It's a completely naive assumption to think that you can be married to someone and do whatever you want whenever you want. The problem is that, inevitably, this will conflict with your partner's ability to do whatevertheywant whenever they want. Therefore, for a healthy relationship, there has to be compromise at certain points. It could be something simple... you could be in the mood for an action movie and she could be in the mood for a comedy. It could be something big... she got a big job with a huge raise in another city but you don't want to move. Somebody isn't going to get what they want in those situations. That doesn't mean that you are incompatible and it doesn't make either of you a bad person. I'd argue that if those situationsdon'tcome up then somebody ought to look in the mirror - because they are obviously controlling and/or dominating the relationship. The best relationships embrace these moments (and each other), and don't show bitterness when such a compromise has to be made.

Divorce courts are full of people that thought that they could marry someone and still do whatever they wanted to do.

Okay... enough Dr. Phil.
    I'm trying to work out if that was a response to an opinion/mis-belief you perceived in my post. If so, I don't get it. I completely agree already. :/
    Post edited by Mamath on
  • The Forever War is a sweet book. Have you read either of the next ones?
  • No. Never quite got to them.