This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Durarara!!

edited February 2010 in Anime
Anybody else watching this? I'm up to episode 3 now and the thing I think I like best is the mix of characters. It just makes the whole thing very fun to watch.

Comments

• I'm enjoying it.
  • I watched the first ep. Still have to download the next two. It's all very similar to Bacanno!, which, considering that it's roughly the same staff, doesn't surprise me. Should be good all through-out.
  • edited February 2010
    Maybe Rym and Scott will do review on this one then. Since they both seemed to have enjoyed Bacanno. I'm curious to see how the three high school students lives are going to be intertwined with the larger than life characters. At the moment they're kind of just bystanders to the whole thing.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Since they both seemed to have enjoyed Bacanno.
    I'm not sure they ever actually watched all of Baccano.
  • edited February 2010
    I see. I could have sworn they did.
  • I'm not sure they ever actually watched all of Baccano.
    Scott has watched about half and Rym and I have watched about 3/4 of it. We need to finish it, because we all really like it.
    It is, however, my exact line for violence. Anything above Baccano would be too much. Finger torture and train tracks make me cringe like crazy. How does Durara compair with the mindless torture and smashed fingers?
  • edited February 2010
    It's not on that level...yet.

EDIT: Oh and Emily, just fair warning. Baccano is 1-13, 14-16 is kinda the epilogue.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • They had me at "Just as I was about to simplify Kida's fraction".
  • They had me at "Just as I was about to simplify Kida's fraction".
    Had you turning it off or hooked?
  • edited February 2010
    Had me deciding to watch more.
    Also, it amazes me how many people are whining about gg's fansubs, calling them trolls, because they're "over-localizing"...
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I'm watching the GG fansubs. I don't have issue with them. But I'm not picky about those sorts of things. So long as the translations make sense. Do you know what episode or scene they are complaining about?
  • edited February 2010
    I think it's just the typical weeaboo bitching - they don't like gg reversing the name order, translating to "Dullalala", and removing honorofics...
    The name switching is perhaps a sensible complaint because you can hear the names being said, but even that is arguable.
  • calling them trolls, because they're "over-localizing"...
    Whaa?
    typical weeaboo bitching - reversing the name order, translating to Dullalala, and removing honorofics...
    Ahhh, I see.
  • Leaving in honorifics is kind of weird. Actually, in the official localizations of the Persona games, they leave in most of the honorifics. But when a group of fans got together to translate Persona 2, they decided to take out the honorifics because leaving them in seemed "unprofessional," and they even reprimanded Atlus's localization team for doing so. Strikes me as the complete opposite of how standard weeaboo fansubbers would act.
  • edited February 2010
    I think it's just the typical weeaboo bitching - they don't like gg reversing the name order, translating to "Dullalala", and removing honorofics...
    But I thought nonsense honorifics were the way it was meant to be, Mister semapai lackofcheese-san kawaii sensei.
    Strikes me as the complete opposite of how standard weeaboo fansubbers would act.
    You have much yet to learn, my young friend. Much to learn.
    Leaving in honorifics is kind of weird.
    Personally, I think there is nothing wrong with it, IF you don't also translate the honoriffic. These people supposedly know japanese, they should know that Calling someone "Mister XYZ-san" is fucking stupid. Do they run about in real life calling people "Mister Mister [insert name here]"? No? Then WHY THE HELL ARE THEY DOING IT WHEN THEY SUB ANIME?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited February 2010
    The name switching is perhaps a sensible complaint because you can hear the names being said, but even that is arguable.
    If they are going to be that nitpicky about it. They should just watch their anime without subs at all. Oh well.
  • Mister semapai lackofcheese-san kawaii sensei.
    Lackofcheese, you should make this your name for a week or two.
  • edited February 2010
    I've always liked the dono honorific.
  • I've always liked the domo honorific.
  • Mister semapai lackofcheese-san kawaii sensei.
    Lackofcheese, you should make this your name for a week or two.
    Taken into consideration.
  • [Domo-kun]
    I always D'awwww like a little bitch when I see a Domo pic. Is something wrong with me?
    edited February 2010
    Also, it amazes me how many people are whining about gg's fansubs, calling them trolls, because they're "over-localizing"...
    It's gg, that's standard procedure. Asspained idiots who cannot accept that there are fansubbers that don't obey their every demand and sometimes put out trollsubs for shits and giggles will always cry (they'll cry more when suddenly gg stops subbing). They are the same people who will say that a fansub is of inferior quality if there are no moonrunes jumping across the screen during the OP and ED songs or basically at any other time. Gg clearly states how they fansub, i.e. people already know how a show is going to be translated before it airs, and then there's the 'motto':
    You can't spell faggots without us
    They're one of the better fansub groups out there and they know it. Those who complain are basically masochists and keep coming back to cry more (and watch the subs).

What I'm more curious about is why you bothered to run into idiots, cheesecake.

EDIT: Also, it's not 'many' people, just loud ones and a few 'trolls' who just keep fuelling the fire for fun.
    Post edited by ... on
  • What I'm more curious about is why you bothered to run into idiots, cheesecake.
    Well, I was researching which fansub of this show to go for. Since all the criticism of gg's Durara sub was along the lines mentioned above, I figured it must be a pretty good sub.
  • Well, I was researching which fansub of this show to go for. Since all the criticism of gg's Durara sub was along the lines mentioned above, I figured it must be a pretty good sub.
    HA! There's only a handful of good fansubbers. It's not that hard to find them since they sub a lot.
  • edited February 2010
    Well, I was researching which fansub of this show to go for. Since all the criticism of gg's Durara sub was along the lines mentioned above, I figured it must be a pretty good sub.
    HA! There's only a handful of good fansubbers. It's not that hard to find them since they sub a lot.
    Good fansubbers can still sub some shows badly. I know gg does good subs, but I was checking specifically on Durarara.
  • On the honorifics issue, I think they should only be taken out if the honorific is one that's normally used, it should be included if there's a change, because taking it out might take away from the plot of the story. Take the future arc of the Reborn manga, when Tsuna meets the Kyoko of the future, we see a brief glimpse of their relationship in ten years just by how she calls him. Honorifics are used to denote relationships between characters, as so it should be noted when this relationship changes.
  • On the honorifics issue, I think they should only be taken out if the honorific is one that's normally used, it should be included if there's a change, because taking it out might take away from the plot of the story. Take the future arc of the Reborn manga, when Tsuna meets the Kyoko of the future, we see a brief glimpse of their relationship in ten years just by how she calls him. Honorifics are used to denote relationships between characters, as so it should be noted when this relationship changes.
    1) You say that as if English is incapable of expressing relationships
    2) If it's subtitled you can still hear the honorific being said anyway.
    Then they shouldn't translate the honorific, or they should translate it as best they can and remove it. There is still no excuse to do both.
  • edited February 2010
    over-localizing
    Can I just take a moment to say:

Wat.?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • My thoughts exactly.