This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Making Things With String

Comments

Iä! Iä! Amigurumi Cthulhu fhtagn!
    Do want.
  • Yes! the fotoset for the "Designers for Haiti" is finally up mine is the hat and scarf combo thing. Not that proud of the quality, but they asked me to do something within 2 days.
  • More Firefly cross-stitch pattens from Cthulhu Crochet and Cousins.

Kaylee in her dress from Shindig.
    Quotable lines with the characters.

I want to make them all.
  • Those are amazing, Ro. Especially the Jayne one.
  • Those are amazing, Ro. Especially the Jayne one.
    They are. I haven't made them, yet. However, when I do the Jayne one, I want to use the lyrics to "The Hero of Canton".

Our love for him now, ain't hard to explain. The hero of Canton, a man they call Jayne.
  • O.O I saw those guys cross-stitched together as a group, but I like them individually with their quotes much more! image

(PS, that scarf is pretty much done. Just waiting to get some fleece to back it with and then crochet a black border.)
  • awesome boyfriend
    Pfft. What kind of boyfriend buys his girl yarn? You can't cook yarn.

That cowl looks awesome and warm.
  • You can't cook yarn.
    What? Then why is my pantry full of yarn? And my linen closet...and the shelves by my bed...

Plus, I beg to differ.

• edited February 2010
    Plus, I beg to differ.
    The amount of Kool-Aid we brought back from the last trip to the US could have gotten us into serious trouble at the airport...
    Pfft. What kind of boyfriend buys his girlyarn? You can't cook yarn.
    The kind of boyfriend who has warm feet and a sweet hat when it's -20 outside.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • edited February 2010
    Pfft. What kind of boyfriend buys his girlyarn?
    The kind of boyfriend who has warm feet...
    HAHAHA, NOT UNTIL MARRIAGE. Make neither socks nor sweaters for thy significant other until ye be married, lest ye incur the wrath of the curse!

I'll tell you a food-safe dye secret. Wilton's food coloring (or other similar types) works as well as, if not better than, Kool-Aid, and you can order it over the internet in 12-color packs. All you have do do is add some citric acid crystals to get your acidity levels right, and you are in business.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • I'll tell you a food-safe dye secret. Wilton's food coloring (or other similar types) works as well as, if not better than, Kool-Aid, and you can order it over the internet in 12-color packs. All you have do do is add some citric acid crystals to get your acidity levels right, and you are in business.
    This is new to me.

Can you, and do people, use wine/grape juice as purple die?
  • edited February 2010
    You can, but it's not generally a good idea to use anything with a sugar content to dye something. The KA of which we speak is the powdered stuff that you have to add sugar to.

Protein fibers like hair, silk, and wool take up dyes when the right kind of dye (KA and Wilton's are the right kind AND are food-safe, while Jaquard are not food-safe but are still acid dyes) is applied with the right fixative (the acid). Thus, you can easily dye wool yarn with Kool Aid packets (which already contain the dye and citric acid) or with food coloring + citric acid crystals.

If anyone (local) wants, we can do some casual dyeing one day so you can see how it works with zero barrier to entry (free). I'm up for hosting a little dye party, and it only takes an hour or two for the simple ones. Hell, I'd do it at a con if it weren't so damn pesky to get a heating apparatus into the panel room! (Plus it's messy.)

I would love to do a little start-to-finish process video of what I do, but I have no video camera.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • O.O I saw those guys cross-stitched together as a group, but I like them individually with their quotes much more! <3

I got sick of hauling around a scarf and hat wherever I go, and of the hat compressing my hair. So I made a hooded cowly thingy that performs the combined function. To take it off, I just push the hood back and it sits comfortably around my neck like a cowl. The coolest thing about this? The yarn was free because my awesome boyfriend bought it for me. Llama and sterling silver ain't cheap, but it is soft, warm, and awesome! (Plus it sparkles!)

(PS, that scarf is pretty much done. Just waiting to get some fleece to back it with and then crochet a black border.)</p>
    My wife wants to know, "what is that pattern, and is it on ravelry?"

Thanks in advance.
  • edited February 2010
    My wife wants to know, "what is that pattern, and is it on ravelry?"

Thanks in advance.
    The hood? Uhhh...I just made it up, but if she is willing to wait a few weeks, I can probably get it written up. This was the prototype. Here is the Ravelry link to the project, if she wants to keep tabs on when I get the pattern done. The shaping is a little complicated, but it's also mostly stockinette, so it goes fast. I finished it in 3 days.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • I might just make something like that for my cats just so I could take pictures of them.

My boyfriend decided to buy a Snuggie for Dogs, that was on sale. The cats looked very silly. I then scolded him for wasting money on that, even though it was amusing.
  • So when I'm not actually crafting, I could always virtual craft with the upcoming Crafting Mama. I honestly would rather make real crafts, however it would be interesting to see how the games turns out.
    That looks like the kind of thing my dog would wear...
  • http://www.knittinghelp.com/.
    I've been reading and watching the tutorials for most of the day. I plan on buying yarn and needles this weekend. I'll probably only try doing the long-tail cast just to get the hang of it, even though I really should be working on my current cross-stitch project. >.>
  • I'll probably only try doing the long-tail cast just to get the hang of it...
    Heh heh heh. Suuuuuuure, you'll stop.

In other news, I have finished Pete's scarf (pics when I get it on him) and am working on a Super Sekrit Projekt, hopefully to be finished by PAXE. It is SO FREAKING CUTE.
  • Super Sekrit Projekt, hopefully to be finished by PAXE. It is SO FREAKING CUTE.
    You're doing one too?! Hehehe
  • Yes, Rym and Pete know what it is, but no one else does. It's for someone, and I want it to be a surprise. It's taking a lot of self-control not to post pictures online.
  • It's for someone, and I want it to be a surprise. It's taking a lot of self-control not to post pictures online.
    Same here.
  • Well I've gotten the continental cast-on. I have no idea what to do from here. -_-

I think I'll go play Pokemon now.
  • I think I figured it out. I made a few mistakes, but I have the basics down. Woohoo! That website is extremely helpful.

• Well it LOOKS right so far, in general. ;) Pretty yarn! Do you have anything in mind for a first project? I always recommend learning the basics on a scrap, and then starting fresh for a project. Takes off the pressure of actually having to "make" something. Messing up is no big deal if you're not making anything.

I have to stop knitting for a day or two. We lost power this weekend, so I knit a lot more than I should have. (Plus I bought new yarn so I had to start this awesome sweater that I had in mind...) Now my finger joints are aching and some muscles in my arms that I apparently don't normally use are sore!
  • I have no idea what I want to make. I just want to learn. I'll probably start the other types of stitches as I go. I just bought the worsted weight yarn, as you recommended. It was 2/$5 at Jo-Ann's.
  • My cousin (who is an awesome geek btw) just had a baby boy, so I paused my gloves project to make this:
    The eyes are a bit crooked, but it's a bit to late.
  • Ohmans, teh awesome! I should photograph my Mario mushroom bikini at some point.