This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Breaking Bad

edited February 2010 in Everything Else
I noticed there wasn't a thread for this show, and since Season 3 is going to air in a month, I thought it'd be best to inform FRCers about it or be able to talk about it with other people.

This show is genius. It is one of the best shows on television at the moment and could possibly be called the best. I caught on around the Middle of Season 2, but every episode I watched when it aired was a tension-filled, brain stimulating hour every single time.

Here's the general premise. Bryan Craston (Or as you may know as the dad from "Malcolm in the Middle") plays Walter White, a High School Chemistry Teacher who has fallen on hard times. He is turning 50, and feeling depressed and unfulfilled despite his great intellect. His wife his pregnant, and his son has cerebral palsy. When he gets diagnosed with Lung Cancer, he sees that his family will be overrun in financial debt for the rest of their lives...leading him to decide that he will live a life of crime so that they will have the money after he's gone. Teaming up with a drop-out from his high school class (played by Aaron Paul, on the right in the poster), the two of them make crystal meth. But little do they know of the specifics in the drug dealing business AND the horrible things that swirl around them as they go down this path.

I can't really say enough to praise this series. I absolutely adore it and I implore everyone to watch both seasons as much as possible. It's not that long actually...only 20 episodes total between the two seasons, but it's just an incredible, dramatic piece of television that shouldn't be missed. Season 2 is coming out on DVD on March 16th. Do whatever you can to watch it.

(Please add spoiler tags if you wish to talk about Season 2 plz. ^_^)

Comments

edited February 2010
    Is that Gordon Freeman in a hazard suit?

Sounds good. Might check out.
    Post edited by ... on
  • It's a good show so far (Episode 4), but I feel like it's moving too slowly. Regardless, I've got it in my rotation of stuff to watch.
  • Is that Gordon Freeman in a hazard suit?

Sounds good. Might check out.
    Wow, can't unsee that image. XD
    It's a good show so far (Episode 4), but I feel like it's moving too slowly. Regardless, I've got it in my rotation of stuff to watch.
    I'd say out of all of Season 1, Episode 4 feels like it has the most filler. Episode 5 is when things kick back up again. Stuff happens with the family and you'll really start asking questions.
  • Wow, can't unsee that image. XD
    "The Crystal is being delivered to the test chamber now, Gordon."
  • I got through the first 6 or so episodes of the first season over the weekend and am pretty hooked. The show definitely moves slowly at parts, but I kind of like that and feel like the slow pace draws you in more. It picked up in a hurry, though, when (spoilers) White busted into Tuco's (sp?) hideout and exploded the mercury fulminate. That was so badass.
  • Will add to my rotation, looks promising.
  • Is it just me, or does the guy they sell the 40 pounds of meth to in the end of Season 2 look like Daryl Surat?
  • I just need to inform everyone, that Breaking Bad Seasons 1 to 3 are all on Netflix Instant Streaming for the time being. If you aren't watching this show, but always wanted to catch up on it, now is your chance. I'm sure it's how AMC is handling Mad Men at the moment. You all need to watch this. At the very least, try out Season 1, it's 7 Episodes are all of them (except for one episode) are really tense.

This season has been pretty damn good so far. Gustavo Fring is probably becoming one of my favorite villains, especially after the last two.
  • Gonna start powering through it while I clean my room.
  • I remember NPR talking about it. I had no idea what it was about, but once I heard the article, I'm interested. I've been planning on watching it anyways since I know an ATW9K listener is submitting questions for it.
  • I've loved this show since the beginning. For some reason I just love shows about drug dealers...
  • I like Gus and Saul the most, Gus because he has it together, Saul because he doesn't. Walter and Skylar //drive me crazy//, with Walter so haphazardly egocentric and Skylar so NGGGGHHHGGRRRR. It kind-of resembles the "science-man" version of weeds (sex-woman).
  • That fulminated mercury's a pretty cool guy.
    I don't know how fulminated mercury was involved, but I definitely want to find out. Fulminated mercury usually means good times.
    I don't know how fulminated mercury was involved, but I definitely want to find out. Fulminated mercury usually means good times.
    He uses it in the first season too, so you won't have to wait long.
  • He uses it in the first season too, so you won't have to wait long.
    Ooh! There's more?
  • Walter White picked himself up by his bootstraps like a true American. the OWS protesters should follow his example.
  • Walter White picked himself up by his bootstraps like a true American. the OWS protesters should follow his example.
    YEAH METH!

YEAH METH!

Hey, at this sorrowful point in our nation's illustrious history, methamphetamine is as American as baseball, the flag, and apple pie.

• Pinkie Meth
    All you need is a couple pseudoephedrine add 'em to the mix.....
  • Or Red Phosphorus!

So...how was that Season 4 for any of you guys? :D I see they brought in those Walking Dead Effects people for some of the scenes. The big question for me will be, how will Season 5 be picked up because I could see some time-skipping considering what went on.
  • technically you need them both, and some iodine for the most common street process.
  • Let's use those fancy new spoiler tags from now on, since I'm only on season 3 :D
  • So...how was that Season 4 for any of you guys?
    It was made of God and Win. Breaking Bad is without a doubt the best show on TV right now.

• Halfway through Season 4, and things seem like they just getting spinning more and more out of control. And I blame Walter for that.
  • I just marathon'd the first season in one sitting.

Holy shit. I can only hope subsequent seasons maintain the same quality.
  • I can only hope subsequent seasons maintain the same quality.
    You'll be sorely disappointed, then.

...They only get better.
  • Just finished episode 10 of season 4. I love Gus.
  • edited December 2011
    Just finished episode 10 of season 4. I love Gus.
    Me too.
    Watched episodes 8 through 11 of season 4 last night, and holy shit is shit gonna go down. Damn work, I hate that I have to go to bed at a reasonable hour in order to wake up on time.
    But yeah, I find myself liking Walter and his family less and less with each episode, as almost every single conflict is a direct result of Walter or Skyler's foolish actions.
    Post edited by ColombianShadow on