This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Oscars Thread

Comments

• So, we should be expectingWhen Gunter Met Churbacuming to a theatre near us?
    Ah don't know how to quit you.
  • However, I'd have preferred if they chose "Friends on the Other Side" as that was the best song in the film, in my opinion.
    When I looked at the nominations, I basically said "neither of these are Friends on the Other Side" and was supremely disappointed.
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2010
    Final Part of My Picks

Film Editing
    District 9 - Julian Clarke
    The editing in this film was phenomenal, especially in the way it switched from guerrilla style filming to the usual style of filming in the very beginning.

Visual Effects
    Avatar - Joe Letteri, Stephen Rosenbaum, Richard Baneham and Andrew R. Jones
    Same reason as for my pick for Art Direction.

Sound Mixing and Sound Editing
    Star Trek - Anna Behlmer, Andy Nelson and Peter J. Devlin
    I felt that the sound mixers and sound editors of this film put a lot of love and care into making sure that the sounds in the film were authentic and realistic within the context of the fantasy in the Star Trek universe.

Cinematography
    The Hurt Locker - Barry Ackroyd
    I felt that the camera angles and shots (especially the close-up shots) really gave the film the edge it possessed.

That's all folks.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Peepshow for rubes.
  • Well...the Oscars are upon us for tonight. If anyone cares to watch them at all; they start at 8 PM (EST); 5 PM (PST). I hope there will be some discussion about the decisions tomorrow.
  • I'm going to watch if only for Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin hosting.

Since I'm late to the party, my picks (these are just what I want to win):

Best Picture: Up
    Best Actor: Jeff Bridges
    Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz
    Best Actress: Sandra Bullock
    Best Supporting Actress: Maggie Gyllenhaal
    Best Animated: Up
    Art Direction: Avatar (the only thing that was good about the movie)
    Cinematography: Inglourious Basterds
    Costume Design: Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus
    Directing: Kathryn Bigelow
    Editing: District 9
    Make Up: Star Trek
    Music: Up
    Original Song: Down in New Orleans
    Short Animated: A Matter of Loaf and Death
    Sound Editing: Star Trek
    Sound Mixing: Star Trek
    Visual Effects: District 9
    Adapted Screenplay: District 9
    Original Screenplay: Up
  • Up wins Best Animated Feature...
  • edited March 2010
    Up wins Best Animated Feature...
    WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED?

Wait, what? Miley Cyrus is presenting an Oscar?
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2010
    Up wins Best Animated Feature...
    WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED?
    Pete Docter has worked long and hard with all the amazing films he worked on, he deserves some recognition.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Wait, what? Miley Cyrus is presenting an Oscar?
    If it wasn't for Christoph Waltz winning, I would have broken something.

Seriously, she needs to become aware of her irrelevance.
  • Wait, what? Miley Cyrus is presenting an Oscar?
    If it wasn't for Christoph Waltz winning, I would have broken something.
    I really had my heart on Tucci as he had an amazingly creepy role. But Waltz truly did deserve that Oscar in the end.
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2010
    Wow...past stars of John Hughes films reunite.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • It's sadly pretty much certain that Avatar will take best picture, with both District 9 and Hurt Locker in the running, and the rest of the field not far behind them.
  • It's sadly pretty much certain that Avatar will take best picture, with both District 9 and Hurt Locker in the running, and the rest of the field not far behind them.
    If it wins, the Academy will be completely dead to me.
  • edited March 2010
    If it wins, the Academy will be completely dead to me.
    But it's so pretty, so It's the best movie ever. How can it not win?<./deadpan>

I will say it very well deserves Best visual effects, but Best Picture? Gag me with a spoon.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I will say it very well deserves Best visual effects, but Best Picture? Gag me with a spoon.
    I would argue that Avatar will have broader cultural impact than every other movie released this year, regardless of the merits of the other individual movies. Maybe we need two categories: best picture and most important picture. I feel that "best picture" is often chosen for the latter reason, and not necessarily the former.
  • I will say it very well deserves Best visual effects, but Best Picture? Gag me with a spoon.
    Yep. Fuck it.
    Maybe we need two categories:bestpicture andmost importantpicture. I feel that "best picture" is often chosen for the latter reason, and not necessarily the former.
    That is a great idea, and I really hope that is what will be done someday. Wishful thinking though...
  • I would argue that Avatar will have broader cultural impact than every other movie released this year, regardless of the merits of the other individual movies. Maybe we need two categories:bestpicture andmost importantpicture. I feel that "best picture" is often chosen for the latter reason, and not necessarily the former.
    I seriously doubt that people will still be talking about Avatar (the actual movie) in a decade. They'll be talking about the technology, but not the movie.

Of course, the subset of Furries that have sprung up because of the movie will be carrying on the world of Pandora in their own creepy way.
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2010
    The Dude wins the Academy Award for Best Actor. I thought he deserved it because Bad Blake (his winning role) was so human and inspiring.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • The Dude wins the Academy Award for Best Actor. I thought he deserved it because Bad Blake (his winning role) was so human and inspiring.
    He should have won just for being the Dude.
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2010
    The Dude wins the Academy Award for Best Actor. I thought he deserved it because Bad Blake (his winning role) was so human and inspiring.
    He should have won just for being the Dude.
    That is indeed true. Speaking of winning, the first woman has just won the Award for Best Director. If that isn't winning in more ways than one, I'd like to see a better example.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • HA. Hurt Locker as Best Picture.
  • FUCK YOU, AVATAR!

Hurt Locker FTW.
  • Avatar lost Best Director and Best Picture. I am pleased.
  • edited March 2010
    Avatar lost Best Director and Best Picture. I am pleased.
    I am overjoyed. This is a triumph for film and humanity!

Also, Kathryn Bigelow winning two Oscars, one as the first female Best Director! Boss.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Avatar lost Best Director and Best Picture. I am pleased.
    A quote that is most relevent to this situation is: "Graphics and visuals don't make a better movie/game."
  • That's not true, they do. However, what they cannot do is make up for a generic plot.
  • That's not true, they do. However, what they cannot do is make up for a generic plot.
    And piss-poor writing on top of that.
    And piss-poor writing on top of that.
    Case in point: Unobtanium.