This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Making Things With String

Comments

• Ok, so I want to make a DS cozy for my boyfriend, but I really don't know what to do with connecting the ends and adding a zipper. I really need to figure how to read the knitting instructions online. I can read the instructions, but it's not clicking. -_-
  • Anyone seen this:
    Someone might be able to make one of these.
  • Ok, so I want to make a DS cozy for my boyfriend, but I really don't know what to do with connecting the ends and adding a zipper. I really need to figure how to read the knitting instructions online. I can read the instructions, but it's not clicking. -_-
    Look for something similar on youtube so you can figure it out.
  • Look for something similar on youtube so you can figure it out.
    I will when I get home. I need to learn more of the basics of the stitches and what they look like.
    I am working on a simple scarf at the moment. Was doing a single knit, purl pattern, now doing a double. Just added a stitch to each column where the lower needle is. The holes have become a fun place to 'store' it.
  • Oooh, using bouclé yarn. That is brave. Looks nice knitted up, though!
  • I really like that color. I'm currently just practicing on decreasing, increasing, and making purl stitches.
  • It's a Lion Brand 'Homespun' yarn. I've become surprisingly fond of it. The single rib pattern looks cute with it. That scarf began on size 6, but the tip broke off one and the last few rows are now going on a pair of 8.

After this is done, I plan to make some arm warmers for a friend with rainbow colored yarn.
  • This DS cozy is my current project. I understand the pattern for most part. I hope I don't bungle it.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm done with my first knitting project. Here is the DS cozy I made for Jeremy. He chose the cat button. I think I will make another one for a friend, but just stick with a stockinette pattern, and line the inside with fabric and a zipper opening. I want to practice on adding different colors before I start this project. There are a dozen different ideas swarming my head of what I want to do.

Damn you, Nuri & Knittinghelp.com for getting me addicted! ^_~

Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Eeeeexcellent...
  • You won't get away with this Dr. Knitil.
  • Dear Cable Knitting,

You're not hard at all. I look forward to experimenting with you. Soon your friend Stranding Method (joining two colors) will be conquered.

~Ro
  • Intarsia! <3<3
  • I recently stumbled onto a really cool knitting blog called Eskimimi Knits. It's a really well designed blog with good information. In fact, I'm currently using her DS Cozy Dapper pattern for my new project using pink and green as my colors. So far it's going pretty well.

For all you nifty knitters and crafters, it's Knitting & Crochet Blog Week. So if you want to participate or check out what other awesome people out there are doing, check it out.
  • I'm pretty much done with the Dapper DS cozy. I just need to make a button hole and add a button. I will post pictures tonight.

My next project: Jayne hat.

It's funny because at first when I read the instructions, I feel like as if it's in a foreign language. Then, I'll look up the definition to the abbreviations on knittinghelp.com as well as look at the videos, and it all comes together. The light bulb has turned on and I don't feel so confuzzled.

This will be my first circular knitting project. I'm looking forward to this.
  • So much win, Ro.
  • edited May 2010
    Pictures posted as promised.

image image

I'm happy that I successfully used two different colors on a project. I won't be using this for my DS cozy and will continue to use the one that I made a while back. I'll probably give this to my cousin's daughter.

I accidentally made the button hole way too big, so I had to go back to the craft store to get a bigger button, but it worked out in the end.

But now, I bought my circular needles and my skeins of yarn. Jayne hat commence!

Wash: "A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."

Jayne: "Damn straight."
  • Very nice color work! Is it Fair Isle? (Do you know what that means?)
  • edited May 2010
    Very nice color work! Is it Fair Isle? (Do you know what that means?)
    I had to look it up, and I want to say "I think so." I used purl stitches, so no, it's not Fair Isle. I used Light Country Rose and Dark Thyme from the TLC line of Red Heart Yarns.

And thank you, knitting-senpai. Your approval means a lot. ^_^
  • Don't be too pleased with me yet; I'm totally drunk right now. Also, haven't done a whole lot of patterny colorwork. Just used it for things like Emily's Bunny Hat. Which I still haven't gotten a picture of. Goddammit. (That was the Sekrit Projekt.)
  • edited May 2010
    (That was the Sekrit Projekt.)
    At least you finished yours. Mine is on my shelf, half-finished, collecting dust. :( Knitting is my new addiction. Can't stop. I'm running out of space for yarn. I need to buy storage bins for them instead of using drawstring bags.

But yes, your Emi-bun-bun hat was very cute. =3
  • Just remember that when it starts to HURT, you have to STOP. Otherwise you will get a repetitive stress injury. That sucks, and you have to refrain from knitting for a few weeks. (Or maybe even LONGER!) (So be super careful.) (really, I've done it; it's so not cool.)

(Pete likes it when I'm drunk.)
  • Just remember that when it starts to HURT, you have to STOP. Otherwise you will get a repetitive stress injury. That sucks, and you have to refrain from knitting for a few weeks. (Or maybe even LONGER!) (So be super careful.) (really, I've done it; it's so not cool.)
    This could have been alright by itself, but then:
    And the door was thrown WIDE open.
  • edited May 2010
    You should have seen the intense look of concentration she had when she was trying to type "repetitive."

EDIT: Oh, and if you're curious, drunk Nuri speaks in random caps. It's not confined to forum posts.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
    I remember you telling me and I make sure to stop when my hand and wrists start to cramp. I've had similar situations where my fingers and hands would hurt from long sessions of cross-stitching, so I make sure to stop.

I saw they offer wrist wraps for knitting and what not, I wonder if they are any good.
    Who doesn't like you drunk?
  • So...she temporarily becomes Stan Lee when drunk?
  • So...she temporarily becomes Stan Lee when drunk?
    I KNIT YOU, LITTLE SCARF!
  • As I come to the end of finishing the Jayne hat, I always try to make sure I have the next project on deck.

So now, I'm trying to find a hat to make for another friend and Ravelry is beyond awesome and addicting to look through the patterns. The have a lot of cool hats that I just want to make for the hell of it. I currently have my eye on the R2D2 hat, Space Invaders hat, or Totoro hat to make.