This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Images of Muhammad

RymRym
edited April 2010 in Everything Else
In solidarity with the creators of South Park, and to spark further proper debate, I present to you several images of Muhammad. I suppose I possess more testicular fortitude than Comedy Central.

Picnic
(He's hiding behind the dog in that last one).

Comments

• Episodes 200/201 were epic, here is another one:
  • edited April 2010
    Post edited by Sail on
    Well, 200 was a good start, but what happened to 201 is bullfuckingshit.
    Well, 200 was a good start, but what happened to 201 is bullfuckingshit.
    I think the final "super beep" was pretty awesome :P
  • At least you got to see it. We recorded the midnight replaying, but instead of being episode 201 (which is what it was labeled as), it was a repeat of the Catcher in the Rye episode. Assholes.
  • edited April 2010
    According to Southpark Studios, they didn't put that in there; Comedy Central did.

It would've been awesome if that's what Trey and Matt wanted done, but Comedy Central caved to intimidation.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited April 2010
    According to Southpark Studios, they didn't put that in there; Comedy Central did.

It would've been awesome if that's what Trey and Matt wanted done, but Comedy Central caved to intimidation.
    Wait, what?
    The whole thing where "everyone learned part" was not actually a "super beep", but was actual dialog that was cut. That sucks, I hope it is released on the dvd.
    You suck Comedy Central!
    Also,
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • That sucks, I hope it is released on the dvd.
    Well, if you've ever seen South Park before and you're not an idiot, you know what they said anyway.
  • That sucks, I hope it is released on the dvd.
    Well, if you've ever seen South Park before and you're not an idiot, you know what they said anyway.
    Yeah, I know it is something related to the episode. But still, it is the principle that matters. I mean it was a episode about censoring and it got censored! :O
  • So, as has been mentioned and referenced more than once, Muhammad did appear on a previous episode of South Park, uncensored.

Comedy Central, you are all fucking humorless wimps.
  • Well look at that. You can't stream the other Muhammad episode either.

Nutless monkeys.
  • edited April 2010
    Well look at that. You can't stream the other Muhammad episode either.

Nutless monkeys.
    Torrents. There are a bajillion seeds.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Torrents. There are a bajillion seeds.
    Oh, I got 201. It's more the principle that pisses me off. CC capitulated to bullshit.

Fortunately, the Internet exists.
  • Trey and Matt have SO MUCH power here, it seems. They have enough money to basically give CC the finger and leave, which screws CC royally. Maybe it's bad to cite something this old, but way back when they appeared on the Penn Radio show in '07, they spoke about how they're pretty much ready to leave the show behind at any moment, and about how much power that ability gives them. Will they leave the network as a result? Maybe. CC is screwed either way.

It'll be interesting to see how the Daily Show/Colbert bunch respond to all this.
  • It'll be interesting to see how the Daily Show/Colbert bunch respond to all this.
    Since CC is their network, I doubt they'll say much at all. I could be surprised, though.
  • edited April 2010
    *SPOILER*
    That was Santa
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited April 2010
    That was Santa
    Aw, spoiler tag, man... Not cool. :(
    -EDIT- I was being silly...

For the duration of the episode, it was presented as Muhammad. Hence...
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • edited April 2010
    Sorry, I'll go edit that for everyone else. Is there a special tag for spoilers or do I just make it white?
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Yeah well, the freaking DAILY SHOW just spoiled it, so no big deal. Looks like they are talking about it.
  • Yeah, I hadn't seen 201 when I posted that. Edited for accuracy.
  • The Seattle cartoonist, Molly Norris, explained that if millions of people draw pictures of Mohammed, terrorists would not be able to murder them all and Islamicist threats to do so would become unrealistic.
  • RymRym
    edited April 2010
    I'm fairly for this. Words and images alone, no matter how offensive, are never grounds for violence, and nothing is so sacred as to be above criticism, ridicule, or depiction.

More importantly, though, is the fact that I believe strongly in the free exchange of ideas. One attribute of a modern, enlightened society is its tolerance even deplorable ideas. We have the right, and almost the duty, to express whatever we desire. Notice how Muhammad is censored here only for fear of violence, but other figures where no such threats exist are subject to intense ridicule on a regular basis. It's hypocritical in the extreme that we will portray, say, Buddha doing lines, but not Muhammad pleasantly walking down the street. We're kowtowing to what can only be described at this point as bronze age sensibilities, and it has to end. There is no rational reason whatsoever for a restriction on portrayals of Muhammad: no argument even loosely resembling a logical one has been made.

I <--- Muhammad from a distance.
    . <--- Muhammad from even further away.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • You know, there are normal people named Muhammad. Can we not portray them?
  • Did anyone else know that Scott is the exact image of Muhammad?
  • But... but... I don't know what Muhammad looks like. How will my portrait be realistic if I don't have a reference picture?!
  • But... but... I don't know what Muhammad looks like. How will my portrait be realistic if I don't have a reference picture?!
    Make it look like Scott, Apparently.
    Silly girl. It doesn't matter what he actually looked like. The mere notion that would ever dare attempt to depict Muhammad is offensive. That thought you had just now? That's insulting to Islam.

Y'know, I never want to say anything about crazy Muslims, because I feel like it feeds into the right-wing insanity about brown people being bad, but holy fuck. Calm the fuck down you Muslims. Seriously.