This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Making Things With String

Comments

• You should have seen the intense look of concentration she had when she was trying to type "repetitive."
    You have a DROID, you have a camera always at the ready!
  • I r done wif teh Jayne hat. Digit tinks itz coo beans.

And a teaser for my new project with double-knitting. (Double-sided piece being knit at the same time)

• GAH, I need to learn DK! If I don't get around to it before the next time I see you, mayhap you can teach ME a thing or two.
  • After all this time, exactly what a "Jayne hat" is finally clicked.
    Have you never seen Firefly?
    It's like a Cosby Sweater.
    Have you never seen Firefly?
    I did once, yes. I can't remember the hat being a big part of the show though. Maybe one episode.
  • It was only one episode. However, one episode is a substantial part of the show, considering the total number of episodes. Jayne hats have become sort of an iconic badge of Firefly geekdom. They're one of the few things from the series that stands out to the casual observer and is instantly recognizable.
  • Of course! Now I've made the link, a Jayne hat makes total sense. But while I enjoyed Firefly, I'm not a fan of any TV show, nor part of any kind of science fiction geekdom. I'm very much the casual observer.
  • GAH, I need to learn DK! If I don't get around to it before the next time I see you, mayhap you can teach ME a thing or two.
    Sure! I'd be happy to teach. It's really not that bad. You basically count 2 stitches as one stitch, but you knit the first one and purl the next. Knit stitches for the side facing you and purl for the back stitches. You change your colors as the pattern requires. The key thing it to make sure you move the working yarn to the correct side for each stitch. You also purl or knit the first and last two stitches together so you close the edges.

I normally start on a practice piece to make sure I get the technique down first before actually starting the pattern. It helps me detect any possible mistakes I make and how to correct them.
  • edited June 2010
    My current project: Longcat & Arch Nemesis Tacgnol double sided/knit scarf.

I plan on making this at least 6 feet long which pretty much uses up the entire skeins of yarn. =3

Here is my current progress. I'll probably finish within a month from the pace I'm going.

image image
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • That is so awesome in so many ways.
    Thanks. How is your glove project coming along?
    Thanks. How is your glove project coming along?
    I've already sent 7 pairs out :D I started with the people closest to me (geographically) and moving outwards.
  • Maybe this only sort of counts, but there was string involved!

I'm doing a Misty cosplay some time soon and what Misty costume would be complete without Togepi? (It's not perfect: I want to remake the hands and feet.) I'm doing another super awesome secrety thing that I'll post after it's not a secret. The person I'm giving it to is a forum frequenter. I am very excited about it though, expect pics in... maybe a week.
  • Maybe this only sort of counts, but there was string involved!
    You used string to sew it, so it counts. That looks pretty good. Making stuffed animals is difficult, imo because you have to have fairly perfect cuts of fabric and sewing it together is difficult.

Oooh secret present for a forumite? Very cool.
  • I'm doing another super awesome secrety thing that I'll post after it's not a secret. The person I'm giving it to is a forum frequenter. I am very excited about it though, expect pics in... maybe a week.
  • His response to the above video:

Him: Bitchfuckcockmunch
    Him: <3
    Me: <3
  • I already know who it is don't I? ;)
    Why yes, I believe you do.
  • Ro! I need that Jayne hat pattern fast, please!
  • Ro! I need that Jayne hat pattern fast, please!
    Oh, I thought I linked it.

I used this pattern from Red Shirt Knitting, however I ended up using more cast on stitches from what the pattern calls for.

If you don't like that one, you can find many more on Ravelry.

Happy knitting!
  • I like thishat (with integrated beard):
    You like that? Check these out.

• edited June 2010
    I'm making pretty string to make things out of. Pete gave me one of his old brewing pots and now I can do larger batches! I wish I had the $500 to do a wholesale order and get super cheap prices on base yarn, but alas, I am teh poor.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • edited June 2010
    I'm makingpretty stringto make things out of. Pete gave me one of his old brewing pots and now I can do larger batches! I wish I had the $500 to do a wholesale order and get super cheap prices on base yarn, but alas, I am teh poor.
    I would be willing to bet that if you stated that you already had starter equipment and just needed stock and dye material and other odds and ends, you could totally get a $500-1000 grant on Kickstarter. Chow was raving about it here a while back, and the fact that you have gear and an etsy sets you up for a good response already.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Hmm, that looks pretty cool. I think I need to develop my colorways a little more solidly on a small scale, and then maybe I'll try it as a co-op type project. There are some indie dyers that do that already, and it seems to work pretty well if you have a big enough client base to fill the slots.
  • So for the few knitters on the forums, has anyone made something from their own pattern? I see so many patterns/creations online and I find myself wondering, "How do they do that?" I still have a lot to learn in regards to different stitches and patterns, so with time I won't be so confuzzled.

I'm trying to make a hat for myself using really pretty yarn that I purchased, but I find that most patterns online use medium to bulky weighted yarn and large gauge needles. So after searching and searching, I've decided to make my own pattern.

I'm trying to make a slouchy hat with a clover pattern along with the ribbing having a cable pattern and alternate knit/purl stitches. We'll see how it goes. I still need to figure out a few things before I actually start making it.

I've also bought the book Stitch 'N bitch Nation. It has some pretty cool patterns along some nice easy tips and tutorials on commonly used knitting terms.

On a related note, I discovered a really awesome yarn store called The Yarn Stash. I was only in there for a few minutes, but so so many wonderful colors of yarn. I also saw a better selection of needles. I will definitely be going their this weekend and making several purchases. They also have some classes, but at the same time, it costs money. Regardless, I am happy I found this place on happenstance.
  • I improvise my own patterns all the time. The most important things to do are to decide what size needles you will use and knit gauge swatches for each stitch pattern you will use. (If you are going to use ribbing, be sure to stretch the ribbing to get an appropriate measurement of both relaxed and stretched stitches.) Once you know how many stitches and how many rows it takes to make a 4"x4" swatch, you can do the math necessary to get the approximate stitches per inch for each part of the project.

For a hat, you measure the circumference of where it will sit on your head. Then you multiply the st/inch by the number of inches around your head and viola! That's the number of stitches you cast on. Theoretically. Sometimes the gauge swatch lies. That's why half of the time, I skip that part and start knitting the project straight away. And about half of those times, I end up ripping out my project and starting over because it's the wrong size. *sigh* Ah well.

Oh yeah, on Ravelry you can filter patterns by the size of the yarn called for, so you can find hat patterns that use sport weight yarn pretty easily.
  • edited June 2010
    Oh yeah, on Ravelry you can filter patterns by the size of the yarn called for, so you can find hat patterns that use sport weight yarn pretty easily.
    Ahh, perhaps I wasn't looking hard enough, however I want to challenge myself now with making my own design.

Plus using a clover pattern on the lagoona yarn goes together quite nicely. I am actually doing test pieces before I start to make sure I have the measurements right.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I made yarns! (with a drop spindle)