This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Making Things With String

Comments

• Is this with the matted mess from the drying rack?
  • I made yarns! (with a drop spindle)
    How do you get all the different colors on one skein?
  • edited July 2010
    How do you get all the different colors on one skein?
    Nurimagic.

Edit:
    Nice job, Nuri. I don't think I'll ever plan on making my own yarn. As cool as it is, I'd rather be lazy and buy other people's pretty yarn.

As for my current projects, I'm taking a breaking from the long cat scarf. I'll work on it when I feel like knitting easy stuff. Right now I'm making a head band for myself and after that I'll be working on a slouch hat with cable ribbing and clover pattern.

Here is a mock up of what it's going to look like, however I plan on making the ribbing 2" instead of 1". I'll also be using yarn I bought from Nuri. ^_~

Post edited by Rochelle on
  • George - different colors, same process. This is the second round.

Ruffas - you dye the fiber in multicolor, then spin it into single plies in one direction, then spin the plies together in the opposite direction. This kind of color combination is only possible by spinning dyed fiber. If you dye after the yarn is together, the plies will all be the same color (unless they are different fiber types).

Ro - that is gonna make a super cute hat!
  • edited July 2010
    Weaved myself a camera strap out of paracord.
    And then I was like: "Note for version 2: Attach cord to side of camera where hand goes."
    Tits.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    edited July 2010
    And then I was like: "Note for version 2: Attach cord to side of camera where hand goes."
    [reactionimage.jpg]
    Tits.
    Oh lord, priceless. Must say, awesome job.
    Post edited by ... on
  • My wife is awesome:
  • My wife is awesome:
    Yes, yes she is.
  • That rocks. On a related note, I will shortly be making my first foray into colorwork by making these socks:
    (I am a bad, bad person and am ganking this pic.)
  • I would so buy a pair of those.
  • That is marvelous Timo. One day I will be working on blankets. I can only imagine how long that took.

I saw that pattern on Ravelry, Nuri. I was going to make it into a hat for a friend, but I decided to go with the Scott Pilgrim hat. Is that your first intarsia? I really need to learn how to make socks.
  • I saw that pattern on Ravelry, Nuri. I was going to make it into a hat for a friend, but I decided to go with the Scott Pilgrim hat. Is that your first intarsia? I really need to learn how to make socks.
    It's not intarsia; it's stranded knitting (also called Fair Isle, I think). Very different. Intarsia is what I used for Pete's Salmonella scarf and Emily's bunny hat (which I have yet to post a pic of). It's generally suited to flat knitting with large blocks of color as opposed to small bits. I have sort of done stranded knitting before, but always in a weird way that isn't circular. These will be the first time I've done it in the way it was intended; they are knit in the round.

I will be subbing in a different type of heel and knitting them from the toe up. I've got to figure out what to do for the white stripes on the heel, since the heel I use won't pattern the same way.
    I would so buy a pair of those.
    I don't think anyone would ever pay enough for a pair of socks to make it worth the time to knit these guys. It takes several hours to knit a pair of plain socks, and even at minimum wage that is pretty pricey. Then you add in the $15 - $25 for the sock yarn, and forget about it!
  • Thanks. I always get confused with the different types of knitting. Was the salmonella scarf the one with the red strands sticking out? And yes, Emi's bunny hat was so cute.
    I don't think anyone would ever pay enough for a pair of socks to make it worth the time to knit these guys. It takes several hours to knit a pair of plain socks, and even at minimum wage that is pretty pricey. Then you add in the $15 - $25 for the sock yarn, and forget about it!
    Yeah, unless I wasn't working full time and was a proficient knitter, I wouldn't try making any money by knitting. It's just a hobby for me. However, my cousin will be giving me some sort of Game Stop gift card after I make his daughter a hat.

I find it to be more fulfilling and fun making gifts for people out of things I make than buying things. It's like a win-win situation. I enjoy knitting and they enjoy the rewards. =3
  • Yeah, unless I wasn't working full time and was a proficient knitter, I wouldn't try making any money by knitting
    The only way of making a profit out of knitting is costume making (for movies and theater) or high fashion projects for the runway (as a machine will take care of mass production later), the rest is machine made.
  • Was the salmonella scarf the one with the red strands sticking out?
    Yup, the one I started this thread with. It's done, but I haven't been able to get a good photo yet.
  • So I'm coming to a close for my clover hat pattern. I'll probably be posting within the week. However, for my new project I'll be making the Scott Pilgrim striped snail hat for a friend. Thankfully he showed me a trailer that had a clip of him in the hat.

Now it's time to figure out how to do that. It doesn't seem too difficult. I'm just contemplating of either working in the round or with straight needles.

I really would like to see more images of this hat, but it would be somewhat difficult to find.
  • Mod of this or this. Do the edge in StSt instead of ribbing to get it to curl up like that. Knit it longer than normal and curl the end under once it's done. Viola.
  • Mod ofthisorthis. Do the edge in StSt instead of ribbing to get it to curl up like that. Knit it longer than normal and curl the end under once it's done. Viola.
    Thanks. I figured it was just stockinette and no ribbing.

As for the stripes, the first two stripes are knit stitch then brown color is in purl. Just need to get the yarn, get some measurements, and possibly buy more needles and I'll be set. ^_^
  • After many trials and tribulations knitting frustration, I am done with my clover hat with the awesome yarn I bought from Nuri.

Now it just needs to be colder so I can actually wear the darn thing. -_-

Onto the Scott Pilgrim hat! I bought some really soft Red Heart yarn for it, and I can't stop rubbing my face on the yarn. I plan on finishing this hat before the movie comes out so my friend can wear it then. =3
  • I'm finally done with the Scott Pilgrim stocking cap/snail hat. I think I might take a break from knitting and perhaps go back to cross-stitching.

• I found a new yarn store that's very close to my apartment called Unraveled Yarn. It mostly carries Cascade yarn and many other pretty wool yarns. I will be frequenting that place A LOT.

I wanted to buy a really nice ultra alpaca light gray yarn for the next hat project I'm doing, but that will have to wait after the butterfly "float" hat I'm going to work on.

I did buy this awesome stitch marker that pretty much had my name on it. =3

Hosted by imgur.com
  • Cool! Often local yarn stores will have a night where they stay open later to allow people to come sit & knit. Ours just started doing it on Thursdays.
  • Cool! Often local yarn stores will have a night where they stay open later to allow people to come sit & knit. Ours just started doing it on Thursdays.
    Yeah, the shop owner invited me to their's on Tuesday night. I also have the local comic book store owner girl that knits as well and they do a local Tuesday night knitting at Starbucks.

So many choices!
  • edited September 2010
    I want to learn to knit just to meet these comic reading knitter girls. That sounds just swell.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited September 2010
    I want to learn to knit just to meet this comic reading knitter girls. That sounds just swell.
    That's kinda funny because I met several guys at PAX who were knitters/crocheters. They saw me knitting my long cat scarf and we stroke up a conversation. One of them was also an Enforcer and was cosplaying as Calvin with a large life sized Hobbes. I really should have taken a picture.

Edit: Found it!

PAX 2010
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I want to learn to knit just to meet these comic reading knitter girls. That sounds just swell.
    Heh heh... target-rich environment.
  • I'm currently working on a hat for a baby, and after that I have another hat to make, but with lovely soft Alpaca wool. After all that is done, I will be making me some fingerless gloves with this:

It will go well with my hat. :3 This is yarn made by Nuri, called Earth Kingdom, in tribute to A:TLA. I plan on making my own design for the gloves with a little homage to the Earth Kingdom.

For now, I will just lovingly caress the yarn and admire it. >.>
  • You know that will make WAAAY more than just a pair of fingerless gloves, right? ;) Unless they go up to your shoulders. That is my favorite color that I have dyed to date. I was totally going to steal it from my store and knit with it myself, but you saved me.

Cool stuff update:

I made some shawls.

One for me:

One for my target in Cali:

Also, I spun some yarn.

Most recent one, including some beads:
  • You know that will make WAAAY more than just a pair of fingerless gloves, right? ;) Unless they go up to your shoulders. That is my favorite color that I have dyed to date. I was totally going to steal it from my store and knit with it myself, but you saved me.
    Yeah, I might make something extra here and there with the rest, but my gloves are something I need before the weather gets colder.

Your shawls are so pretty. I might pick up that pattern sometime. I'm actually going to make my mother a shawl for Christmas. I think I'm going to use this pattern. It seems like a good starting pattern for a shawl.

Speaking of finished projects, I just finished making two butterfly hats. One is for my niece, the other is for my coworkers 1 y/o niece. This was my first project with Cascade yarns, and I'm in love. I was amazed and how it was so easy and smooth to knit compared to acrylic yarn. I'm pretty much not going to use acrylic yarn if I can't help it.

Hosted by imgur.com

My next project is a quick Ballard slouch hat for a friend using Berrroco Ultra Alpaca yarn in a dark gray/coal color. Probably the softest yarn I've yet to use. I'm going to ENJOY this project.
  • Cute butterfly buttons!!

The hat pattern looks cool. I would make sure you knit it a little bit tight, since the alpaca will make it stretch out/drape a bit. It looks like it has enough wool in it to hold its shape pretty well, so I wouldn't worry too much. :)

The shawl looks like it has neat textures. Triangle shawls are super easy if you can knit lace. Both of mine were pay patterns, but you should check out Haruni; it's free and very pretty.