This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

California Supreme Court Overturns Gay Marriage Ban

Comments

• Way to go DC!
  • Way to goDC!
    Huzzah!

This is a big deal, actually, moreso than other places coming around. It gives us a federal precedent of sorts. ^_^
  • It gives us a federal precedent of sorts. ^_^
    I know right?? :D And the Catholic church is gladly making an ass of itself in the face of acceptence yet again. I feel bad for all the married couples who'll be denied their benefits now, but the silver lining is that the church is gonna piss everyone off with this stunt.
  • Way to goDC!
    Kudos to the article for having a picture of two dudes kissing instead of the standard two femme lesbians.
  • Usually news stories show two happy older ladies, like the African American couple in the other picture. I think old ladies are the most "non-threatening" type to people who are scared of this change. Young gay dudes make them more uncomfortable for some reason.
  • Anti-gay california state senator arrested for DUI... after leaving a gay bar.
  • Anti-gay california state senator arrested for DUI...after leaving a gay bar.
    The evidence just keeps piling up. All republicans are gay.
  • The evidence just keeps piling up. All republicans are gay.
  • @chaosof99 LOL, I agree, completely awesome

Its hard to work out what the actual status is in the US in the general public in the US as I've never visited.
    All I've got to go on is news media, pop culture (including TV shows like "Modern Family" and "Parks and Recreation" where 2 male penguins were wed by local government).
    Plus that my Godmother in Rochester, NY only came out of the closet last year and she waited till she was just over 50 (no one in my family even blinked, it was like so what?)

In Australia there were a few guys in my University class and social network who were flamboyantly gay and others less so. The only person who I knew had problems was a friend 2 years below me in University who still hadn't told his parents but he came from way out in the country.
  • Way to goDC!
    I never been as proud to live here as I was when that happened.
  • edited March 2010
    It gives us a federal precedent of sorts. ^_^
    I know right?? :D And the Catholic church is gladlymaking an ass of itself in the face of acceptenceyet again. I feel bad for all the married couples who'll be denied their benefits now, but the silver lining is that the church is gonna pisseveryoneoff with this stunt.
    Wasn't it the same group of Cath-holes who threatened DC that they would cut all aid and services (like helping the homeless, etc.) if gay marriage was allowed?
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Cath-holes
    Yes, they were. Also? Cath-holes? LOL. I'm going to put that in my folder of insults next to "God-bag."
  • edited March 2010
    It's really very embarrassing to come from a community that is going to such lengths to hate and exclude people like me. "Universal Church" my foot.
    Granted, I left for more fundamental reasons well before I realized my orientation... it's still frustrating that this is yet another thing I grew up with that I have to be ashamed of now.
    Way to go, D.C., though. That's great news, overall.
    Post edited by Nillia on
  • edited March 2010
    Heyo! Remember that awesome kid from Arkansas who decided that he couldn't in good conscience say the pledge because of our country's stance on gay rights?

Epic kid gets even more epic
    Post edited by ThirdWorldMan on
  • edited August 2010
    Until all of those messy appeals and further flying in the face of reason and equality ensues, I will only say -

Hell yes.
    Proposition 8 fails to advance any rational basis in singling out gay men and lesbians for denial of a marriage license. Indeed the evidence shows Proposition 8 does nothing more than enshrine in the California constitution the notion that opposite sex couples are superior to same sex couples.
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • Oh hell fucking yes!
  • The subject line of this thread is true again! Rejoice!
  • The subject line of this thread is true again! Rejoice!
    I am rejoicing as hard as I can.
  • edited August 2010
    Yay! (My office cheered.)

edit: Now Nillia and you have to make an art that is very happy, to go as an update to the one from two years ago.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited August 2010

Always appropriate, especially when we are starting to (once again) move on the right track on this particular issue.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • The judge who made the decision, of course deeply entrenched in constitutional reasoning, turns out to be gay. Of course the very first reaction by the fundie crowd was to make that a talking point for a reverse argument from authority, trying to declare that this ruling is unfair because of the person who made it, rather than the reasons given.
  • If he were a straight judge who ruled in favor of Prop 8, would the idiots think that claiming him as a biased straight guy was an even remotely viable argument?
  • edited August 2010
    This news is too good. My opinion of humanity needs to be dragged through the dirt to bring me back down from this great news. Everybody, your mission, and you will choose to accept it, is to find hilariously terrible and homophobic comments related to this story from all over the Internet. To start off...
    Rature Ready Forums
    The Fox News Comments board

P.S.
    If he were a straight judge who ruled in favor of Prop 8, would the idiots think that claiming him as a biased straight guy was an even remotely viable argument?
    Of course they would, they're idiots. They'd probably assert that he was gay.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • P.S.
    If he were a straight judge who ruled in favor of Prop 8, would the idiots think that claiming him as a biased straight guy was an even remotely viable argument?
    Of course they would, they're idiots. They'd probably assert that he was gay.
    I think you need to reread that...
  • Finally! Now I can have sex with that turtle I saw yesterday!
  • Finally! Now I can have sex with that turtle I saw yesterday!
    He probably didn't make it very far.